Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dogs flying cargo  (Read 4080 times)

• Liked: 2
Dogs flying cargo
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
If you have flown your dog in cargo to the UK, what was your experience? I keep reading horror stories and am nervous now about flying my border collie in the hold of a plane.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Dogs flying cargo
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
I flew my cats and it was all very positive.  We've really only had positive experiences here on the forum and a LOT of us moved pets.  Those who had "not-so-positive" experiences weren't horror stories, just annoyances and frustrations with regulations (crates not being the right size, so animal refused.  That kind of thing.  Nothing inhumane with the pets).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
Also with the UK's strict requirements there's less risk because the pets have to travel with a "cargo provider". The area on the plane for pets is temperature controlled and much better for them than in the cabin where there's sound and people and lights on and off. My kitty had no issues flying cargo and she's super nervous.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 33
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
I flew my dog and cat over the day before my flight. Used a pet transport company to sort it all. They advised to use British Airways, so I did. The boys made it here fine. From what I can tell, they were well cared for by BA before departure and at the animal reception center at Heathrow. They were a bit confused and discombobulated when they first got to the house here (cat more than dog) but quickly adjusted.

FWIW, the flight was from Washington Dulles to Heathrow.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
I flew my dog from Tampa to Heathrow (through Newark) with United Cargo. I had a company in the US sort out the paperwork for me and my mom to sort out whatever treatments and shots he required. There's certain timings you need to be compliant to eg. I remember he needed to take a dewormer 3 days before the flight. You need a crate big enough for them to stand and turn. They need a water bottle inside the crate they can lick (looks like a bird feeder) and you attach his food to the outside of the crate. My parents dropped him off at the united cargo building and submitted the paperwork. I tracked both his flights and called once to get status. I remember getting at least a couple of emails from United, once when they fed him and a second when he was placed on the Heathrow bound flight. My husband and I picked him up at Heathrow Airport. It was a bit of a wait as we had to wait for the tax office to open. And I say tax office, I don't remember specifics but it was the people we had to pay import tax to. We did that right then and there over the phone. 15 later, the animal cargo office had received the green light and out came Caligula, looking sleepy and confused. I was ecstatic. He was absolutely fine. He must've peed and maybe even pooped in his crate as when they returned it to us, they had cleaned it with a power washer. He's now 13 so if we ever move back I would sort out to go in a ship. I don't think he'd be able to go through that stress again!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
I flew my cats and it was all very positive.  We've really only had positive experiences here on the forum and a LOT of us moved pets.  Those who had "not-so-positive" experiences weren't horror stories, just annoyances and frustrations with regulations (crates not being the right size, so animal refused.  That kind of thing.  Nothing inhumane with the pets).

So glad to see this. Our three girls are scheduled to fly out on the 30th (same day as us) and we are so nervous. The company has been extremely responsive and helpful, so i'm sure they will be fine. But as a cat mommy, i want them all safe. :)
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
Hi,

My 9.5 year old border collie/german shepherd mix and my 14 year old tabby cat just flew cargo from LAX (Los Angeles) to Glasgow, UK and arrived here on 8 February. Everything went smoothly and beautifully. They both arrived in healthy and clean condition. They were a bit tired from the journey and a little confused but within a week or two, they were back to their normal cheery selves... well, the dog was cheery but the cat was back to her normal grumpy self! LOL!!

I chose to use an animal relocation company for the move but after having done that, I think I could have probably done it on my own and been fine. My animals were flown on KLM and they had to go through Amsterdam. They spent the night at the animal hotel in AMS because the connecting flight would have gotten them to Glasgow too late to be processed and then transported to our house in Penrith. I called the animal hotel in AMS to check on them and they were just fine. All the people I dealt with throughout the entire process were kind and helpful. They did everything possible to relieve my stress and worry. They were all animal lovers and it was just as important to them that my animals arrive safely.

Stop reading the horror stories online. They just give you unnecessary worry. Chances are your doggie will be just fine. Your vet has to give a health clearance for the dog to travel. So, then you'll know that your pup is healthy and fit for the journey. Just ask your vet if he/she feels the dog is healthy enough for air travel. I have absolutely no regrets and I am so happy to have my pets here with me. In fact, it was the best thing for them to move here with me as well. They have a much better quality of life here and they get tons of attention from me, my husband, and my stepdaughter.  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »
Hi,

My 9.5 year old border collie/german shepherd mix and my 14 year old tabby cat just flew cargo from LAX (Los Angeles) to Glasgow, UK and arrived here on 8 February. Everything went smoothly and beautifully. They both arrived in healthy and clean condition. They were a bit tired from the journey and a little confused but within a week or two, they were back to their normal cheery selves... well, the dog was cheery but the cat was back to her normal grumpy self! LOL!!

I chose to use an animal relocation company for the move but after having done that, I think I could have probably done it on my own and been fine. My animals were flown on KLM and they had to go through Amsterdam. They spent the night at the animal hotel in AMS because the connecting flight would have gotten them to Glasgow too late to be processed and then transported to our house in Penrith. I called the animal hotel in AMS to check on them and they were just fine. All the people I dealt with throughout the entire process were kind and helpful. They did everything possible to relieve my stress and worry. They were all animal lovers and it was just as important to them that my animals arrive safely.

Stop reading the horror stories online. They just give you unnecessary worry. Chances are your doggie will be just fine. Your vet has to give a health clearance for the dog to travel. So, then you'll know that your pup is healthy and fit for the journey. Just ask your vet if he/she feels the dog is healthy enough for air travel. I have absolutely no regrets and I am so happy to have my pets here with me. In fact, it was the best thing for them to move here with me as well. They have a much better quality of life here and they get tons of attention from me, my husband, and my stepdaughter.  :)

We are using a pet relocation company as well. Our girls are due to get picked up on the 29th and boarded overnight. They fly from Houston to Frankfurt and then on to Manchester on the 30th (same day we fly). I can't imagine not being able to have my girls with us. :)
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
We are using a pet relocation company as well. Our girls are due to get picked up on the 29th and boarded overnight. They fly from Houston to Frankfurt and then on to Manchester on the 30th (same day we fly). I can't imagine not being able to have my girls with us. :)

Aww, that's great!! Exciting! It was nerve-racking for me while they were in transit but I know my babies are resilient and strong... so I knew deep down they'd be fine.

BTW, congrats on getting your visa!!!!  :D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
I called the animal hotel in AMS to check on them and they were just fine.

I totally pictured you phoning up and asking to speak with Mittens or Lassie, please.  I could just see them saying, "Oh, I'm sorry.  Mittens is busy with her ball of yarn at the moment, and Lassie is having a bath.  Is there a number where one of them can phone you back?"  This mental scene made me very happy.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
I totally pictured you phoning up and asking to speak with Mittens or Lassie, please.  I could just see them saying, "Oh, I'm sorry.  Mittens is busy with her ball of yarn at the moment, and Lassie is having a bath.  Is there a number where one of them can phone you back?"  This mental scene made me very happy.

Ha ha ha!!! I am cracking up!!

• Liked: 59
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
I'll ask my sister what her experience was like, but, I went ahead and flew into Paris then used a pet taxi type company to get into the UK
Decision: Approved (04/11/2018)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 08:38:59 PM »
Hi All,
We're hoping to fly my others half's dog over here nearer the end of the year (hopefully with him :D ). They're currently in MO so we know there will be a transfer involved. Do you have any advice about doing it yourself vs using a company? What companies did you use?

Also we're trying to sort out the budget so if anyone has rough costs they're happy to share it would be really appreciated!

Thanks! Kim
15/2/2008 -First Met
17/12/2017 - Finally got together
1/12/2018 - Engaged
6/7/2019 - Married
UK Spouse Visa (non-priority)
10/7/2019 - Applied online
17/7/2019 - Biometrics appt
20/7/2019 - Documents mailed
2/8/2019 - Application received email
1/10/2019 - Decision email received
4/10/2019 - Passport received and...
APPROVED :D
63 days

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 09:15:35 AM »
Hi All,
We're hoping to fly my others half's dog over here nearer the end of the year (hopefully with him :D ). They're currently in MO so we know there will be a transfer involved. Do you have any advice about doing it yourself vs using a company? What companies did you use?

Also we're trying to sort out the budget so if anyone has rough costs they're happy to share it would be really appreciated!

Thanks! Kim

Hi Kim, sorry I’m just seeing this. I flew my dog and cat over back in February from Los Angeles. They flew to Amsterdam and then to Glasgow. I used a pet transport company. I had them picked up in LA and the dropped off at our home here in Northern England. It was quite expensive for the two. Time you add in vet visits, health certificates, the sky kennels, and flying them as cargo (I was already living here) it cost me around $5000. So I’m thinking for one dog, it may be half that if you use a transport company.

I had a good experience with the company I used. My pets were confused when they arrived (of course) but they were healthy, clean, and in overall excellent condition. I am glad I used the company because I just didn’t have the patience to do it myself and I get too anxious. But, after seeing how it was all done, I think I could have probably done it myself after all. So it just depends on your budget and your level of calm. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »
Size of the pup will also determine costs.  Probably circa $3,000.  It would be a few hundred less to do yourself.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab