Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?  (Read 5028 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
Ah! Good tip! How many are in the big box and do I need to say I'm buying them for any particular reason?
I think it's a 96 pack at the Lloyd's in Sainsburys, no special reason needed. My husband learned about it while trying to find me low dose aspirin. It was so helpful when I didn't have mefenamic acid for lady issues (which works so much better than anything I've ever tried in the US).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 387
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
It's kind of funny; we're far more concerned about getting adequate supplies for our little fur-baby than ourselves. 

We're not really doing anything specific for us.  We keep some basic supplies on hand for emergencies anyway (e.g. first aid supplies, canned food, water bottles), and I don't think we're going to go overly beyond that in stockpiling items.  We do think there's a bit of scaremongering going on, and that makes it difficult to know if there really will be crucial items that will be scarce post-Brexit.   

• Liked: 676
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:02 PM »
I do think that people are sometimes confusing "transient shortages" with like, well, starvation.  ;D

Not having fresh kale (or spinach, or oranges) available for a few months isn't going to kill anyone. I think, if anything, most people are going to be potentially  inconvenienced at the grocery store, and not a lot more.  However, if you have to live on a diet that is mainly fruit and veg, you're going to be seriously impacted if there are shortages of those items unless you've made provisions for them (aka frozen or otherwise preserved). It's not unreasonable to cover one's backside. Especially in those circumstances. 

My own main concern is less inconvenience and more the price for foods. I've got a nice larder stocked with stuff I would have bought anyway, and purchased on sale.  As we all have no clue what the fallout really will be, I'm protecting my purse as much as my stomach, at least for a while, in case food costs do rise. (I'm not convinced that if they rise they'll go back down again anytime soon.) If it's not all that bad, well, I would have bought this stuff anyway, and we'll just continue to use it as we have been doing.

Pharmacuticals are more worrying. Thankfully, we have a stash of what we need from our trip to the USA recently that will last us until we get back there again, if needed. I kind of wince for people who have to take medicines that cannot be stockpiled. That's the kind where shortage can have really nasty repercussions. The little blurbs of info that are filtering down to my ears are that there's some real concern about that supply chain. Fingers are crossed it's inaccurate.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:52:07 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 08:43:36 PM »
I keep everything pretty well stocked as a rule anyway.. combination of my nature and earthquake preparedness being driven home when I lived in the US!

I have bought extra cat food and cat litter.
And tins of soup! Chicken soup for the protein and carrot and coriander for it's deliciousness and to stave off scurvy!   ;D

I anticipate shortages of fresh produce will be the thing that impacts us (personally) the most, I'm preparing for that mentally and wishing my fingers were greener.

Ya know, a few of trays of rock-wool cubes on a sunny windowsill, and a packet of mixed baby greens seeds, and a little water with hydroponic fertilizer in it, will get you some baby greens to have as garnish on your sandwiches every day or two. With all the vitamins and nutrients intact, as they're completely fresh leaves.  You can use and re-use the rock-wool cubes.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
Ya know, a few of trays of rock-wool cubes on a sunny windowsill, and a packet of mixed baby greens seeds, and a little water with hydroponic fertilizer in it, will get you some baby greens to have as garnish on your sandwiches every day or two. With all the vitamins and nutrients intact, as they're completely fresh leaves.  You can use and re-use the rock-wool cubes.

Or maybe just some sprouts in a jar!  :D It's been forever since I last did that!

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
Oh, shades of macrame plant hangers, beaded curtains in doorways, shag carpets, black light posters, and nag champa!

I do remember sprouting seeds on damp papertowels in jars, back in the day. Everybody did it back then, it seems. And it's really a good way to get some extra vitamins into one's diet.

;D ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »
I think the scaremongering is a little over the top. It's to the point where I can't tell if I'm reading news articles on the BBC or the Onion.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:28 PM »
I think because my pet shop is different than my weekly food shop and not as frequent it just didn’t even cross my mind! Hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ours is a seperate shop as well. The dry food is from a pet shop and the wet food is from the grocery store though.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
Ours is a seperate shop as well. The dry food is from a pet shop and the wet food is from the grocery store though.

We only have dry food and we tend to just buy a few bags in one go so it's just the last thing in my mind until we are down to no spare bag lol then I go and buy more.

Will probably buy extra now. I can change her food and she'll be fine but it's just easier to stick with the food I already know.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Yeah, conveniently I got more cat food last week.  Not related to Brexit. 

I do think I'll get some more nappies.  That would be a horrible thing to be without.   ;D

Interesting article from HSBC today.  If the deal passes today, they expect GBP will go to 1.5 against USD.  If it fails, they expect GBP will go to 1.1 against USD.   ::)  I expect the deal will fail.  Interesting diagram of what will happen and all signs point to a delay of Article 50.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
I just don't understand how they can NOT delay without a deal. I feel like a "no deal" just shouldn't be an option at all....but then again, I think there should be a re-vote :) I'm part of the camp that thinks the "leave" side shouldn't be worried if they are confident that the voting will show what the people want.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
Yeah, conveniently I got more cat food last week.  Not related to Brexit. 

I do think I'll get some more nappies.  That would be a horrible thing to be without.   ;D

Interesting article from HSBC today.  If the deal passes today, they expect GBP will go to 1.5 against USD.  If it fails, they expect GBP will go to 1.1 against USD.   ::)  I expect the deal will fail.  Interesting diagram of what will happen and all signs point to a delay of Article 50.

KF, where did you see the HSBC article? I'd like to read it.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
It was sent to me via email.  I'll send it to you.  Ping me your email address.

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
It was sent to me via email.  I'll send it to you.  Ping me your email address.

Done, thanks!

Sponsored Links