Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Legal risk of backstop remains 'unchanged' says Attorney General  (Read 4930 times)

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 674
Re: Legal risk of backstop remains 'unchanged' says Attorney General
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »
Soooo, bets on tonight's outcome?

I can't decide if I should order a pizza in and watch this spectacle as it unfolds, or just bake some bread and read about whatever happens tomorrow in the morning with my coffee.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:50:28 PM »
Soooo, bets on tonight's outcome?

May's plan gets voted down again and they go back to the EU and ask for an extension.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:20:18 PM »
Annddddd, my guess it the EU will say "no" as there's no clear reason to give one.
Oy.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
Annddddd, my guess it the EU will say "no" as there's no clear reason to give one.
Oy.

That's my guess, too, but I could also see ways in which some kind of extension is worked out, prolonging the stupidity.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »
How about poor humiliated May's speech last night? She couldn't even croak out a few words.   I can't believe there's people who believe all if this would be a success if she just had her heart in it.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:46:56 AM »
I think the EU would grant an extension.  They really don't want us crashing out without a deal. A no-deal Brexit hurts the EU, too.  Nobody wants that.  (I say with unfounded confidence.)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
I think the EU would grant an extension.  They really don't want us crashing out without a deal. A no-deal Brexit hurts the EU, too.  Nobody wants that.  (I say with unfounded confidence.)

I'm not so sure. If the UK had an actual plan and just needed more time to implement it, then yes, I think the EU would agree. If it's just more of the same BS we've been watching for the last 2 years plus another 6 months, then I would guess the EU would say no.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
I'm not so sure. If the UK had an actual plan and just needed more time to implement it, then yes, I think the EU would agree. If it's just more of the same BS we've been watching for the last 2 years plus another 6 months, then I would guess the EU would say no.

That's a very good point.  They have been impatient with us for quite a long time.  I tended to chalk that up to them just being @&%#$ negotiators, trying to pressure us into a bad deal.  But maybe they genuinely believe we keep trying to fit our square peg into the EU's round hole, and they're like, "Just give it up!  You won't go for the round piece, and that square one won't fit, no matter how many times you try.  Just stop, already!"

To be fair, I was not comfortable with May's deal, and I am a bit relieved Parliament said no to it.  But I don't know what we do now. Call the whole thing off, perhaps? The EU have said that's an option.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
Well somebody said this morning that it may be like the middle aged guy who moves out with his fling. Wakes up one day and says well I'll go back to Judy, but finds the door locks changed.   
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
But maybe they genuinely believe we keep trying to fit our square peg into the EU's round hole, and they're like, "Just give it up!  You won't go for the round piece, and that square one won't fit, no matter how many times you try.  Just stop, already!"

I think you've got it right. The EU has said from the beginning that the UK cannot have what the Leave campaign promised, and May has spent the last 2 years futilely trying to square that circle.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 04:13:19 PM »
Well somebody said this morning that it may be like the middle aged guy who moves out with his fling. Wakes up one day and says well I'll go back to Judy, but finds the door locks changed.   

Except this is business and should not be an emotional relationship.  It's in everyone's best interest to have a solid business plan.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
With confidence, I think they will vote against a Hard Brexit.

I suspect the EU will grant an extension.... but as it's been said - they may not.  If they think it'll be more BS (which it would be), they have every right to say no.

I genuinely do not think another 3 months will solve a thing!

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
Except this is business and should not be an emotional relationship.  It's in everyone's best interest to have a solid business plan.

No you are right. And Europe has certainly been acting in good faith throughout this whole thing.

• Liked: 73
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »
No you are right. And Europe has certainly been acting in good faith throughout this whole thing.

Exactly! The way some people blame the EU for the mess we are in, you would think EU asked us to leave!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab