Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New workplace in UK, new pension-what to do?  (Read 1283 times)

• Liked: 0
New workplace in UK, new pension-what to do?
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
HI

I have been in UK 30+ years, still on an ILR and happy with that.

I have worked for almost all that time with a university (USS) pension, used to be final salary but they dumped us off that a few years ago. I was in my last job 18 years and got let go in 2017 :( . I could have taken early retirement but didn't want to. I got a new job  ;) but they have started me on a pension with  Legal and General.  The company contributes, so it seemed good to take it, they don't seem to treat me any different cuz I am American. Probably they don't know what a pain we are financially  (small company).

My question is, how do I get financial advice, without opening too many cans of worms?. I think maybe understandably, I have flown under the radar for a long time since I came here when computers. email etc were kinda new!  But I gather that i.e. starting anew pension may be a dumb idea for me, not least because I am American.

I have other money issues, but thought I would try to figure this one thing out and see where it takes me!

• Liked: 342
Re: New workplace in UK, new pension-what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »

I got a new job  ;) but they have started me on a pension with  Legal and General.  The company contributes, so it seemed good to take it, they don't seem to treat me any different cuz I am American.

They must do that.

"All employers must offer a workplace pension scheme by law. You, your employer and the government pay into your pension."
https://www.gov.uk/employers-workplace-pensions-rules

My question is, how do I get financial advice, without opening too many cans of worms?. I think maybe understandably, I have flown under the radar for a long time since I came here when computers. email etc were kinda new!  But I gather that i.e. starting anew pension may be a dumb idea for me, not least because I am American.

Are you are asking about how that affects your US taxes? If so, you might do better asking on the UK-US taxes board on here.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:43:47 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links