Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting Established (Fiancé Visa)  (Read 1275 times)

• Liked: 5
Getting Established (Fiancé Visa)
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
(I meant to post this here, but accidentally posted this to moving issues.  :-[ )

So I haven't gotten my approval on my visa yet, but I know once I do everything will start moving very quickly due to the visa route we chose. I'm unsure which thread to post this in as it's a little of visa prep, a bit of general, but thought I would try here. I'm trying to get a list together of things I'll need to do once I arrive (hoping by May).

Here's what I have so far:
-Pick up BRP
-Get my name on as many bills as possible for the FLR(M) application. These include: council tax, my fiancé's phone plan, utilities.
-Open a joint bank account. I don't know if we'll have to wait until I've received my FLR(M) approval to do this, but I know we'll need to do that.
-Register with a doctor and dentist. I know for the doctor I'll need a piece of mail with my name on it as proof of address, and I assume the same for the dentist. I understand I can't utilise either of these until I'm on my FLR(M) without incurring a 150% charge, but know that I can at least register prior to.

Obviously we'll also have a lot of things to plan for the wedding, which is a whole other ball game, but I'm wondering what else will need to be done once I arrive. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Because I can't work for the 6 months of the fiancé visa, I'm going to use that time to get my teaching registration changed to England. So the work aspect I've somewhat got covered.

Any help or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated!
Cheers x
Modify message
Visa: Fiancée Visa (Settlement - Marriage) Non-Priority
Application Submitted Online: 02 Feb 2019
Biometrics: 06 Feb 2019
Documents Received in Sheffield: 07 Mar 2019 / 21WD
Decision Made: 11 April 2019 / 46WD

Arrived on Fiancé Visa: 18 April 2019
Wedding: 1 August 2019
FLR(M) Application: 17 September 2019
Biometrics (Manchester): 4 October 2019
Result: Approved: 4 November 2019

• Liked: 3595
Re: Getting Established (Fiancé Visa)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
I’ll post my reply again here then :).

It was:

If you have a fiancé visa, you won’t get a BRP card, because BRPs are only issued for visas valid more than 6 months.

Instead, you will simply get a 6-month visa sticker in your passport and you can enter the U.K. at any time in those 6 months.

You’ll need proof of address for both opening a bank account and registering with a GP. Not sure about dentist.

I understand I can't utilise either of these until I'm on my FLR(M) without incurring a 150% charge, but know that I can at least register prior to.

Not quite. As long as you have travel/health insurance (which you need), you will only be charged 100% of the bill.

I'm going to use that time to get my teaching registration changed to England. So the work aspect I've somewhat got covered.

Not sure if you will be able to do this - I may be wrong, but I thought getting it changed involved work or training of some kind (I.e. classroom training)... which you can’t do on a fiancé visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
I’ll post my reply again here then :).

It was:

If you have a fiancé visa, you won’t get a BRP card, because BRPs are only issued for visas valid more than 6 months.

Instead, you will simply get a 6-month visa sticker in your passport and you can enter the U.K. at any time in those 6 months.

You’ll need proof of address for both opening a bank account and registering with a GP. Not sure about dentist.

Not quite. As long as you have travel/health insurance (which you need), you will only be charged 100% of the bill.

Not sure if you will be able to do this - I may be wrong, but I thought getting it changed involved work or training of some kind (I.e. classroom training)... which you can’t do on a fiancé visa.

Haha I was too quick in responding! Let me post the other reply here so it's fully here.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that it's just a sticker for the Fiancé visa. I understand now, thank you.

Okay, I will work to get the proof of address first as that seems like one of the most important things for registering with the doctors and as 1 of our 6 pieces of mail for the FLR(M) application.

I will have travel insurance, so understand that I will pay 100% of the cost. Obviously, I'll try to avoid this in general until I'm on FLR.

My initial teaching registration is with the General Teaching Council of Scotland (it was while studying in Scotland that I met my fiancé). So I have all of the requirements within the UK, it's just getting it transferred to England. But yeah, I definitely won't be stepping into a classroom even through voluntary work until I have FLR because I understand it's not allowed. I just meant getting the registration change done. If they don't allow it on the fiancé, I will wait until the spouse visa.

Thank you for your help  :)

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
Haha I was too quick in responding! Let me post the other reply here so it's fully here.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that it's just a sticker for the Fiancé visa. I understand now, thank you.

Okay, I will work to get the proof of address first as that seems like one of the most important things for registering with the doctors and as 1 of our 6 pieces of mail for the FLR(M) application.

I will have travel insurance, so understand that I will pay 100% of the cost. Obviously, I'll try to avoid this in general until I'm on FLR.

My initial teaching registration is with the General Teaching Council of Scotland (it was while studying in Scotland that I met my fiancé). So I have all of the requirements within the UK, it's just getting it transferred to England. But yeah, I definitely won't be stepping into a classroom even through voluntary work until I have FLR because I understand it's not allowed. I just meant getting the registration change done. If they don't allow it on the fiancé, I will wait until the spouse visa.

Thank you for your help  :)

I meant FLR not spouse visa! Oyyy there are so many different terms.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »

Don’t worry about trying to avoid it - if you need to go to the GP or hospital, then go. Even if you have to pay upfront you should be able to claim it back through your travel insurance anyway.

Ah, okay - I understand. In that case, I assume you would be okay.

The issue is that you can’t work or study on a fiancé visa, but if the registration change doesn’t involve that, then I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab