Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Miss, Ms, & Mrs  (Read 2477 times)

• Liked: 216
Miss, Ms, & Mrs
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
So, I opted not to legally change my last name to my husband's when we got married just because I couldn't be bothered with all the hassles of changing it. I had changed it back to my maiden name when I got divorced a couple years back and it's a total PITA!! I just couldn't bring myself to go through it all over again. That said, I may eventually legally change it to my husband's at some point... or maybe not. LOL. Maybe when it's time for my passport to be renewed. Might be a good time... I don't know. Anyway...

So this titles thing...

I feel kind of weird with people addressing me as Miss on paper. It's on the council tax bill and then the bank put it on my darn debit card!! It bugs me. It makes me feel like a little debutante or something. Ha ha! But because my last name differs from my husband's they don't use Mrs. I'd actually prefer the use of Ms if we're not going to use Mrs. Do they even use Ms here in the UK? I feel like I've only seen Miss and Mrs.

I'm asking because we're buying a house and this document is asking me for my title! Tee hee! ;D

Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 4985
Re: Miss, Ms, & Mrs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
I HATE the titles.  Ugh, BIG pet peeve of mine.  Anyways....

Yes, Ms is used here and go for it.

Have you researched the implications of having a USC on the deed though?  Personally, we avoid it.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
I HATE the titles.  Ugh, BIG pet peeve of mine.  Anyways....

Yes, Ms is used here and go for it.

Have you researched the implications of having a USC on the deed though?  Personally, we avoid it.

Yeah, I don't understand why I need my title on everything. Like on my debit card??? So strange.

With the deed stuff, are you speaking as far as capital gains go on taxes or is there some other scary thing I'm uninformed about??  ???

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
I had it removed off of most things but so many places require it.  Thankfully my cards have been printed without it.

It’s the FX changes in addition to the capital gains.  If the property will have a mortgage, it’s usually renewed every two years. That mortgage renewal triggers the FX reporting.  GBP is down against the dollar at the moment.  If the rate becomes more favourable, it would give you a “gain” though on paper.  That “gain” is taxable.

Easy example.

You purchase a house for £100k at 1.3 to 1 for the dollar.  Therefore the house is valued at $130,000.

Two years from now you go to renew your mortgage.  The house is still valued at £100k but the GBP to USD is now 2 to 1 (a girl can dream).  Your house is now worth $200,000.

US tax now says you’ve made $70,000 in capital gains and you owe tax on that $70k.  But you still just have your house - no actual cash.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
I didn't change my last name when we got married because I didn't want to.  :)

I use Ms my last name.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
I had it removed off of most things but so many places require it.  Thankfully my cards have been printed without it.

It’s the FX changes in addition to the capital gains.  If the property will have a mortgage, it’s usually renewed every two years. That mortgage renewal triggers the FX reporting.  GBP is down against the dollar at the moment.  If the rate becomes more favourable, it would give you a “gain” though on paper.  That “gain” is taxable.

Easy example.

You purchase a house for £100k at 1.3 to 1 for the dollar.  Therefore the house is valued at $130,000.

Two years from now you go to renew your mortgage.  The house is still valued at £100k but the GBP to USD is now 2 to 1 (a girl can dream).  Your house is now worth $200,000.

US tax now says you’ve made $70,000 in capital gains and you owe tax on that $70k.  But you still just have your house - no actual cash.

Oh, yes, I am aware of that. However, we are each bringing substantial money to the purchase - my husband will be using the proceeds from the sale of his house and I will be using some of my savings to pay the remainder. So we fortunately won't have a mortgage. I spoke to my accountant to be sure. And I think we are doing the purchase as tenants-in-common versus joint tenants to reflect the percentage that we are each individually contributing to the purchase. This international stuff is all so tricky. So thank you for the heads up!  :)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
I didn't change my last name when we got married because I didn't want to.  :)

I use Ms my last name.

Ok, thank you! I didn't want to look like an oddball using Ms if no one uses that title here. I've always thought of Miss as being reserved for little girls or young unmarried women. But I'm sure those are all old rules. I think anyone should be able to use (or not use) whatever she likes!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
I changed my name and still use Ms. I hate the titles so much!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »
Ok, thank you! I didn't want to look like an oddball using Ms if no one uses that title here. I've always thought of Miss as being reserved for little girls or young unmarried women. But I'm sure those are all old rules. I think anyone should be able to use (or not use) whatever she likes!

Mrs is obviously far more common but no-one bats an eyelid when I say Ms... Be warned though, nine times out of ten, they will  go on to call you Mrs anyway!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
I changed my name and still use Ms. I hate the titles so much!

Mrs is obviously far more common but no-one bats an eyelid when I say Ms... Be warned though, nine times out of ten, they will  go on to call you Mrs anyway!  ;D

Honestly, I'd prefer no title on official papers and documents. It's weird to me. I don't really care when someone calls me Miss, Ms or Mrs when speaking directly to me if they don't know me. I take it as they're just being polite. But then I suppose they're also making assumptions which kind of annoys me too! LOL! And it doesn't help when my husband introduces me as his partner... still being a newlywed and all he forgets to say wife. Ha ha!!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
partner

I've never got used to the British use of partner, to me, that's a business partner!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
I've never got used to the British use of partner, to me, that's a business partner!

Yep, that one throws me for a loop as well. I was really only familiar with my unmarried gay friends referring to their significant others as their partner. And yes, also partner as referred to in business. Other than that, the only ever partner I ever had was my doubles partner in tennis!!

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
Mrs Magpie, great plan with the house.  Lucky duck with no mortgage!

And I love that you don’t like the titles - but you have one in your screen name.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »
Mrs Magpie, great plan with the house.  Lucky duck with no mortgage!

And I love that you don’t like the titles - but you have one in your screen name.  ;D

Ha ha!! I actually thought about the fact that my screen name is MrsMagpie!! But it’s actually based on a Radiohead song so that’s my excuse!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 05:32:27 PM »
On a bad day they call me "Mr."
 ::)

Usually I get "Miss". Which is also annoying.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab