Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Miss, Ms, & Mrs  (Read 2478 times)

• Liked: 29
Re: Miss, Ms, & Mrs
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »
Mrs Magpie, great plan with the house.  Lucky duck with no mortgage!

And I love that you don’t like the titles - but you have one in your screen name.  ;D

Hahahaha I was literally thinking the same thing while reading this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 387
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
I always go by Ms, and I didn't change my surname.  It still doesn't stop me from getting called Mrs. [my name] or Mrs. [DH's name].

Though sometimes, DH will get addressed as Mr. [my name] with the assumption that I had taken his surname so my name is his name.  :D  He gets super annoyed by it, LOL.

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
So, I opted not to legally change my last name to my husband's when we got married just because I couldn't be bothered with all the hassles of changing it. I had changed it back to my maiden name when I got divorced a couple years back and it's a total PITA!! I just couldn't bring myself to go through it all over again. That said, I may eventually legally change it to my husband's at some point... or maybe not. LOL. Maybe when it's time for my passport to be renewed. Might be a good time... I don't know. Anyway...

So this titles thing...

I feel kind of weird with people addressing me as Miss on paper. It's on the council tax bill and then the bank put it on my darn debit card!! It bugs me. It makes me feel like a little debutante or something. Ha ha! But because my last name differs from my husband's they don't use Mrs. I'd actually prefer the use of Ms if we're not going to use Mrs. Do they even use Ms here in the UK? I feel like I've only seen Miss and Mrs.

I'm asking because we're buying a house and this document is asking me for my title! Tee hee! ;D
Hehe.  I changed mine when we got married so I wouldn’t have to later. I’m glad I did. Congratulations on getting a house. I’ll let you know when we come your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
Ok, thank you! I didn't want to look like an oddball using Ms if no one uses that title here. I've always thought of Miss as being reserved for little girls or young unmarried women. But I'm sure those are all old rules. I think anyone should be able to use (or not use) whatever she likes!

We can all be oddballs together, because I am Ms. MyLastName (not my husband's last name).  Ms is tbe future!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 111
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 02:30:06 PM »
When I moved to England, I moved with my three-year-old son from my first marriage. Obviously, the child has a different last name to everyone in the family. Despite having two younger siblings with different last names, I was ALWAYS addressed with his last name, even on the school paper work for his siblings who obviously don’t share his name. Argh. Oh, and Mrs to boot. I was referred to his father’s last name for the entire time the kid was in school there, over eight years. I was only married to his father for three years.

The weirdest way I was addressed in the early years of my marriage to the Englishman was: MRS P Englishman. My name is Lorena but my husband is Paul. What the actual hell? I have letters (that will obviously be submitted when I’m finally ready to return to the UK) from the doctor’s surgery and the council addressed to me that way. I think it goes way beyond Miss, Mrs. and Ms. For those years, I wasn’t even my own person!

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 02:38:47 PM »
Yeah, that's happened to me as well, and I'm not a big fan of it at all.  I'm definitely my own person, thank you very much.  Not Mrs. John Smith.  Ugh.

Huzzah for the oddballs club!

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
So, I opted not to legally change my last name to my husband's when we got married just because I couldn't be bothered with all the hassles of changing it. I had changed it back to my maiden name when I got divorced a couple years back and it's a total PITA!! I just couldn't bring myself to go through it all over again. That said, I may eventually legally change it to my husband's at some point... or maybe not. LOL. Maybe when it's time for my passport to be renewed. Might be a good time... I don't know. Anyway...

So this titles thing...

I feel kind of weird with people addressing me as Miss on paper. It's on the council tax bill and then the bank put it on my darn debit card!! It bugs me. It makes me feel like a little debutante or something. Ha ha! But because my last name differs from my husband's they don't use Mrs. I'd actually prefer the use of Ms if we're not going to use Mrs. Do they even use Ms here in the UK? I feel like I've only seen Miss and Mrs.

I'm asking because we're buying a house and this document is asking me for my title! Tee hee! ;D

Just be glad you havent had to deal with a death certificate here, they still list unmarried deceased woman as "spinster" here!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
Just be glad you havent had to deal with a death certificate here, they still list unmarried deceased woman as "spinster" here!
Really? That's genuinely disturbing. Do they list unmarried men as bachelors on their death certificates as well?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »
I always go by Ms, and I didn't change my surname.  It still doesn't stop me from getting called Mrs. [my name] or Mrs. [DH's name].

Though sometimes, DH will get addressed as Mr. [my name] with the assumption that I had taken his surname so my name is his name.  :D  He gets super annoyed by it, LOL.

I don't mind if they call me his surname really. I may officially change it to his down the line at some point. I think I was just being lazy and really didn't want to go through all the paperwork involved in changing it on everything. Yep, lazy.

Hehe.  I changed mine when we got married so I wouldn’t have to later. I’m glad I did. Congratulations on getting a house. I’ll let you know when we come your way

Yeah, it's good you got it out the way. Such a chore! LOL!!
Thanks for the well wishes. And we look forward to having you round our place for a drink or two!!

The weirdest way I was addressed in the early years of my marriage to the Englishman was: MRS P Englishman. My name is Lorena but my husband is Paul. What the actual hell? I have letters (that will obviously be submitted when I’m finally ready to return to the UK) from the doctor’s surgery and the council addressed to me that way. I think it goes way beyond Miss, Mrs. and Ms. For those years, I wasn’t even my own person!

I am so with you on this. I have my own name and I am an individual human who just happens to be married to another individual human. I don't want to be referred to in a collective manner. Thank you.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 216
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »

Wha?!?! I can hardly believe that. But then again, we see how slow they are with anything official here.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
I find they ask for titles more in the UK: Mr, Mrs, Ms...but sometimes they give you other, more interesting options, like Reverend, Baroness, etc.  Once I was ordering something to be delivered, and when I looked at the selections for title I thought, Why not tick Lady? Which I did. And then of course I wasn't in when the package arrived and it got left next door. When my young neighbour came by later with the package she hesitated and then said,  “Are you really a Lady?” I’d completely forgot I'd done that! And I had to explain that I was just being silly.

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
I've been really tempted to do that on a few occasions - just for fun and for the reactions.  :D ;)

That being said, I know someone with a genuine title and apparently, it's boring and nothing much ever comes of it except invitations to events that are usually quite dull.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
My husband is registered as Count [Husband McHusbandface], and I am Lady K [McWifeface] with an organization we're members of (not Mensa!).  We even get membership cards with this on it.  Sadly, it is not true.

The couple who live behind us really are Sir and Lady [Neighbour McNeighbourface].  He is the 15th Baronet [McNeighbourface], and she gets to be called "Lady" because he married her.  The title doesn't suit her.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Yeah, I guess I'll just enjoy being a fake lady! I kind of wish we could tick Other and come up with our own titles: Supreme Diva or whatever.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
My wife got me a Highland Titles Property so I’m officially Laird Stephens. It’s part of an old estate, being sold in small pieces to preserve the Scottish wilds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links