Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Countdown  (Read 9043 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Countdown
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »

Aside: The online petition asking for Article 50 to be cancelled has hit over 3.5 million signatures. And, on schedule, the BBC has come along and suggested that perhaps the Russians have a hand in it. So much for the BBC.

I've actually heard that the likelihood is that those signatures comings from places like Korea are British expats who would still have a right to vote and that there isn't actually that many votes coming from outside the UK. I only heard it in passing on a news update so can't validate with facts and figures (so could be totally false).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 676
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
I've actually heard that the likelihood is that those signatures comings from places like Korea are British expats who would still have a right to vote and that there isn't actually that many votes coming from outside the UK. I only heard it in passing on a news update so can't validate with facts and figures (so could be totally false).

Yeah, there is so much BS flying around right now that I distrust even usually reliable news sources.

It's all going to be ignored, anyway. A million people marched over the weekend, and that will be ignored as well. There was a day when I could have used SPSS or some other package  for using the 1,000,000 in a statistical model, and extrapolated what that meant in terms of being a representative sample of the entire population, but those days are long past. I suspect it is significant, however.)   But, when it comes down to it, their input means nothing to the decision-makers, who are working off their own agenda and will carry on with it.

[I would very much like to be proven wrong.]

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Yeah, there is so much BS flying around right now that I distrust even usually reliable news sources.

It's all going to be ignored, anyway. A million people marched over the weekend, and that will be ignored as well. There was a day when I could have used SPSS or some other package  for using the 1,000,000 in a statistical model, and extrapolated what that meant in terms of being a representative sample of the entire population, but those days are long past. I suspect it is significant, however.)   But, when it comes down to it, their input means nothing to the decision-makers, who are working off their own agenda and will carry on with it.

[I would very much like to be proven wrong.]

I too would like to be proven wrong but I am very much a realist and know that it's far more likely they will continue to shout about the "will of the people!" and that it means they can't chuck Brexit out the window because of that while paying no attention to marches or petitions or anything else.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
"Liam Fox has indicated the government could ignore MPs’ views from indicative Brexit votes this week if parliament’s stated choice goes against the Conservative manifesto, insisting the real choice is still between Theresa May’s deal and no deal."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/25/government-could-ignore-indicative-brexit-votes-says-liam-fox
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »
Re: The online petition to rescind Article 50:

Dear XXXXX

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.”.

Government responded:

This Government will not revoke Article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with Parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.

It remains the Government’s firm policy not to revoke Article 50. We will honour the outcome of the 2016 referendum and work to deliver an exit which benefits everyone, whether they voted to Leave or to Remain.

Revoking Article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in Government.

The Government acknowledges the considerable number of people who have signed this petition. However, close to three quarters of the electorate took part in the 2016 referendum, trusting that the result would be respected. This Government wrote to every household prior to the referendum, promising that the outcome of the referendum would be implemented. 17.4 million people then voted to leave the European Union, providing the biggest democratic mandate for any course of action ever directed at UK Government.

British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 General Election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the Opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.

This Government stands by this commitment.

Revoking Article 50 would break the promises made by Government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the Prime Minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”, and it is imperative that people can trust their Government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.

Department for Exiting the European Union.

• Liked: 958
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
I don't understand how a non binding referendum run on lies & breaking laws, that passed by 2% on a day with severe weather that kept many from polls, is "the will of the people". I will never understand it. I really regret moving to this country after that vote. The most attractive thing about moving here was that it was part of the EU and we are therefore protected by all the European laws.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
Donald Tusk: Appeal to EP: You should be open to a long extension, if the UK wishes to rethink its strategy. 6 million people signed the petition, 1 million marched. They may not feel sufficiently represented by UK Parliament but they must feel represented by you. Because they are Europeans.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
would undermine . . . the trust that millions of voters have placed in Government.

Has anybody placed their trust in May's government?  Anyone?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
I’m still wondering who all the people are in the phrase ‘the will of the people’.

Apparently the ‘majority’ of the country wanted this, but in the 2 years and 9 months since the referendum, I have not personally met anyone who supports Brexit.

I know people who know people who voted to leave, but I only personally know 1 person who did vote leave, and they immediately regretted it afterwards... they admitted that they believed the NHS £350 million bus claim and voted based on the promised improvements to the NHS and then when the truth came out, they said they wished they had voted to remain instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 958
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »
I only know people who voted leave from social media groups that cut across a variety of socioeconomic classes and locations. They all believe Europe doesn't have their interests and are the cause of the economic downturns in their areas, when it couldn't be further from the truth. The Stockholm syndrome factor is very real in a lot of areas of this country, along with the "British exceptionalism" myth that comes from colonialism. They work with immigrants from the EU in low skilled work and get angry they don't understand what they're saying during casual conversations with each other (completely racist).

There were also a few who voted leave and have changed their mind. They have real concerns with Europe and their management of the euro and debt/austerity in places like Greece and Italy, but they realise now that there is no government capable of breaking up with the EU while continuing to support the UK economy.

But... The leavers from the first xenophobic racist group are the loudest, they want to leave on any terms (no deal) to get back to the Britain they imagine from pre-WWII. *sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
I  can't believe the latest news that May has said she'll resign if people will support her deal. 

Jacob Reese Mogg and Boris aren't right about much, but they are correct that May's deal is a turd that will damage this country for the next 20 years.  All of a sudden they are fine with it if May resigns?  What is so fantastic about May resigning that makes it worth voting for something they admit will hurt the country?  Simply so they can get a bit of power for themselves, short term until the country implodes.  Disgusting.

Also, Parliament voted yesterday on something like 8 options that all could satisfy "Brexit".  What better proof do you need that the question of the original referendum was meaningless?  And proof that May spending two years telling us that "Brexit means Brexit" or "Brexit will be red white and blue "  indicates a complete failure to govern.  Now I know precisely why I wanted to throw my shoe at her every time she said it.

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
Apparently JRM won't vote for it if the DUP doesn't approve of it, and the DUP has said they won't approve it as, apparently, it feels to them like they're being thrown under the bus with having to remain in compliance with some EU requirements. I mean, I can see their point. They are not representing a majority of people in Northern Ireland, and the Republic would be only too happy to have NI back in the fold. Which would put them in their (probably more appropriate) place as a minority power in NI.  The DUP might consider May's agreement as having a whiff of that potential outcome.  (I personally think the possibility is hella stronger if the UK crashes out.) So JRM gets to appear honorable by saying he'd agree, knowing there was no chance the DUP would accept the agreement. Oy.

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this agreement for a temporary transition period of a few years? After which time the UK is out of the EU entirely and the DUP's issues would no longer exist? (Yes, there's the backstop. Which would/could be ignored once the EU was no longer in any direct control over anything related to the British Isles. Or could it?)

So anyway, we're back on course for a hard Brexit. The Govmt is blocking any chance of a people's vote, and Parliament also shot that down as one of the options. So, literally, Parliament cannot agree on anything, even for the good of the country. Amazingly, they are REALLY making the US Congress look functional.

New Brexit Date:  15 days from now (12 April)

The Pound is at $1.31 and Euros 1.17
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:22:30 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
So, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this agreement for a temporary transition period of a few years? After which time the UK is out of the EU entirely and the DUP's issues would no longer exist?

The backstop question goes much deeper than just scanning a barcode. For the EU to function there must be borders. Political borders. The peace deal in Ireland is built on the fundamental political principle that there will not be a line drawn between NI and the Republic. Especially a political one. These two things are totally incompatible.

This fudge they have come up with, the backstop, seeks to ignore this.

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
The backstop question goes much deeper than just scanning a barcode. For the EU to function there must be borders. Political borders. The peace deal in Ireland is built on the fundamental political principle that there will not be a line drawn between NI and the Republic. Especially a political one. These two things are totally incompatible.

This fudge they have come up with, the backstop, seeks to ignore this.

Yes, but it is only for the transition period, isn't it? (I haven't been keeping up.) A couple of years, then it's done with?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab