Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Countdown  (Read 9042 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Countdown
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
The backstop "kicks in" if the EU and UK cannot come to a permanent arrangement.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2019, 06:30:12 AM »
I swear that Sonny and Cher song from Groundhog Day was playing this morning when I woke up.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
Countdown
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
Excellent article in the New Statesman

The humbling of Britain

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/03/humbling-britain

My favourite part of the article, referring to the Leave Campaign :
"They appealed to the lowest human impulses, and unlocked the ugliest features of the British character – xenophobia, jingoism, aggression, insularity, arrogance and a perverse, pig-headed pride in our own ignorance."

I really do like a lot of things about the British people, but that sums up the less attractive qualities perfectly.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
The backstop "kicks in" if the EU and UK cannot come to a permanent arrangement.

Yeah, I got that. But doesn't the backstop just continue until they do sort it out? (Or decide to arbitrarily cancel it?)

So, about today's voting. Is it binding or not???? The news is all over the place, so I'm not quite sure.

They have split it to be voting on only the exit agreement? Can they do that and have the Brexit move forward?

If this is just another "advisory" vote, WTF?  Wasn't today the date by which the EU said an agreement had to be reached (or not) in order to postpone Brexit (or not) to 12 April?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:29:26 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
I  can't believe the latest news that May has said she'll resign if people will support her deal. 

Jacob Reese Mogg and Boris aren't right about much, but they are correct that May's deal is a turd that will damage this country for the next 20 years.  All of a sudden they are fine with it if May resigns?  What is so fantastic about May resigning that makes it worth voting for something they admit will hurt the country?  Simply so they can get a bit of power for themselves, short term until the country implodes.  Disgusting.

Also, Parliament voted yesterday on something like 8 options that all could satisfy "Brexit".  What better proof do you need that the question of the original referendum was meaningless?  And proof that May spending two years telling us that "Brexit means Brexit" or "Brexit will be red white and blue "  indicates a complete failure to govern.  Now I know precisely why I wanted to throw my shoe at her every time she said it.

The original referendum was a huge non-binding "opinion poll" in the way it was worded.  The fact that everybody took it as anything more has left me puzzled for the last almost-three years.  There was no call to action in it.  It didn't say what would happen based on the outcome of the vote.  It just asked the public if it thought the UK "should" remain in or leave the EU.  It doesn't ask why people voted the way they did.  It didn't ask how the UK would leave the EU if Leave won.  All it asked was whether people thought we should leave.  And the public was pretty evenly split on that basic question (with obvious geographic polarization).

I mean, look!   This was the original ballot question:

The PM seems to think that a 52%  yes vote to that meant the whole country wanted to end Free Movement, and that's the only thing the public cared about.  The Leave campaign wrongly told voters we'd get £350M a week more for the NHS.  Some want to be out of the customs union.  Some want to stay in the customs union. Some want to have their cake and eat it, too.  But NONE of those questions was in the Referendum.  So, how is an MP to vote the will of the people, when we don't know what the will of the people really is?

I admit to a long-standing bias against Theresa May since well before she became PM, but her performance as PM has definitely further hardened me against her.  She can never fix our relationship... she had no business triggering Article 50 without a plan, and her claimed negotiating skills have left me eye-rolling so much I've had migraines.  She is a hopefully-temporary bad thing for the UK, but her Withdrawal Agreement, in my opinion, is the worst possible outcome.  No-deal or no Brexit are both much better outcomes, and I frankly don't care which one we get at this point, as long as something is finally decided.  At least with a no-deal Brexit, the EU will be desperate to sort out some kind of trade with us, so we'll have real negotiating power (if we can ever get rid of May, that is!).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
So apparently now Boris is backing the PM's deal.
He wants her job. (Yes, I know. Captain Obvious here.)

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
May should go.

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
Ok, so it's been voted down a third time. (Three strikes, you're out.)
I assume then it's a hard brexit on Friday, April 12th? (AKA, two weeks from today.)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Ok, so it's been voted down a third time. (Three strikes, you're out.)
I assume then it's a hard brexit on Friday, April 12th? (AKA, two weeks from today.)
They are doing more indicative votes next week. Its all very confusing to me, so I'll just keep reading the news at the end of the day to make sense of what happened and what's next. Hard brexit thankfully isn't guaranteed by voting down May's terrible deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
According to these people (?):

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
MV4: The Walking Dead

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »
nooo?

• Liked: 958
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
It's still on the list of things to be considered on Monday. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Didn't work 3 times (and she almost didn't put it up for a third time) but let's just go ahead for a fourth...Fourth times the charm, right?? Or something like that...

::)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links