Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I’m Baaaaaack after a long absence. Indefinitely delayed moving.  (Read 2908 times)

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
Very long story short I joined here in 2013 like one month before multiple tragedies struck my family (in GA). I was planning to move to the UK with husband and 2 babies and then I just couldn’t leave after several people in my family died. Then I fell pregnant with my third kid (very unplanned) and it looked like we were never going to leave.
In fact until recently I put it out of my mind. But then it hit me that NOW we actually CAN and much easier than before. More income and a house with equity means we’d be able to save up and fund a move no problem AND afford a deposit on a house there.
So I’m looking into it. And I’m back. Lol
Right now we’re looking at York, as he’s from Driffield and we both love Yorkshire. And on a 2-3 year timeline because I won’t go without a year’s expenses in the bank.
Planning a family visit for November and it’ll be the first time many folks will have met our younger two girls so very exciting.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Liked: 6110
Re: I’m Baaaaaack after a long absence. Indefinitely delayed moving.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:50 AM »
Welcome back!  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:11:40 AM »
There's always a place by the fire for you!!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
Welcome back Wren.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
Welcome back!

• Liked: 49
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
welcome back!
Visa Type: Spouse Visa
Priority Service: Yes
Online app submitted: 8th Nov 2018
Biometrics & docs sent: 13th Nov 2018
Application delivered in NY: 14th Nov 2018
Application received email from Sheffield: 18th Nov 2018
Request for "documents": 13th Dec 2018
Decision made email: 18th Dec 2018
Passport received: 22nd Dec 2018 (APPROVED!)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
Welcome back! So sorry you've had to deal with the tragedy in the past but wishing you all the best moving forward :) Hope you have a lovely visit in November.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 170
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Yay!! Pick York!! I live near York...

Depending on your budget, I'd be looking at the Fulford, Heslngton or Huntingdon areas... Bishopthorpe is LOVELY if you're not looking to be right in the city centre! School options are really good for those areas. Also New Earswick is a nice option, though I don't know as much about the schools out that way. There's a huge development o new houses being built by the race course, but it's hideous imo. The area there is really nice though...

As you've probably gathered, I know more about the south part of the city than the north!!

If I can hep in any way, please let me know! I'd love a Yank nearby!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
Welcome back!!

I love York, we live about an hour's drive north.  I hope your move back goes well.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
Besides touristy visits, the only place I’ve spent any time in has been Dringhouses, as that’s where my Aunt-in-law lived and Grandma lived with her. I did like the area. And I’ve seen a few houses in our price range there (I don’t wanna go above £450K if I can avoid it). On the one hand I’ll like enough garden for vegetables at least, but on the other my MiL will likely come live with us and if she comes my niece and nephew might follow lol. So bus service is important and that might not be too good further out.

Yay!! Pick York!! I live near York...

Depending on your budget, I'd be looking at the Fulford, Heslngton or Huntingdon areas... Bishopthorpe is LOVELY if you're not looking to be right in the city centre! School options are really good for those areas. Also New Earswick is a nice option, though I don't know as much about the schools out that way. There's a huge development o new houses being built by the race course, but it's hideous imo. The area there is really nice though...

As you've probably gathered, I know more about the south part of the city than the north!!

If I can hep in any way, please let me know! I'd love a Yank nearby!!
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
After posting last year that we would likely be planning a move back, my husband almost immediately lost his job [don't worry, he got another one and then another one--each with huge pay raises] and then I changed jobs and things have been just kind of a MESS. Boundaries set with my bipolar brother went out the window during the job transitions and our debt increased! By a LOT.

It looked like we would never escape.

But then the covid hit.  I reset my boundaries, reigned in my budget, and started looking hard at things.  I realized a few things:
1) This place is a dumpster fire [like especially GA] and we've got to GO. My husband, who is the most mild mannered, quietest, most British person ever, INSISTED we move. The end. No more discussing it. We are going.  Not thinking about it or planning.  We are going.
2) We could get debt paid off totally in under 2 years, then sell our house with plenty left to move and settle in there--only WE ARE NOW WORRIED THE HOUSING MARKET WILL CRASH BEFORE THAT. I don't think it's going to crash soon, but with a long term unemployment which is SURELY going to happen, it is a distinct long term possibility.  Soooo...
3) Since the market is HOT HOT HOT because no one is selling we can get TOP DOLLAR for our house if we sell right now.  I am currently deep in the trenches trying to get it on the market by September 1. I have already nearly chopped off my fingers in a hedge trimmer accident and had to hire someone to rebuild a crumbling retaining wall because even after it heals and the stitches are out, it is unlikely to be okay enough to lift 6x6s in the next several weeks.  Yay.  Take my $$$!  This selling RIGHT NOW thing has been super scary, but last night I packed away all of my beautiful, hand built open shelving that I decided to take down for staging [not leaving any of it, and didn't want to have to deal with patching etc. in the throws of moving; can operate a drill with left hand and also get a head start on patching and painting walls].  I realized as I was shrink wrapping it for storage that we will not likely hang it in a short term rental SO THE NEXT TIME IT GOES ON A WALL WILL BE IN THE UK. WHAT?!!!  This is suddenly so so real.
4) We have an 11 year old starting 6th grade.  My niece has INSISTED we should be there for at least part of the year she would be in 8th grade [year 9 there] to get used to the system before things get serious.  So now our plan is to pay off sh*t, pile up cash, and not go any later than the January of 8th Grade [year 9] or maybe even for September of that year.  I will be applying for my Visa in the August of that year at the latest.  Worse case she and husband can go and I can stay here with the two younger ones.

What a friggin ride!  I'm sure I'm going to be on here a lot!

I have done loads of research, and we have ideas about where we might wanna live, and we know how we will ship our things, and we are prepared for the visa process [I started preparing when the rules changed in 2012 and I've got DOCUMENTATION out the wazoo].  We know how much money we need to have piled up to move, and both of us should be able to keep our jobs [work from home] but my husband might need to transfer to a UK office.  Right now it's just [for the very first time] selling a house! What?!  And trying very hard not to chop off any body parts.

Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »
Hello! I live near Driffield where my husband is originally from :)

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
What really?  That's cool.   He is leaning more towards closer to the midlands now, in Malvern.  He lived there before, has friends there, and really like the town.  Also less than an hour away from Mum and sis.  We are still researching! House is up for sale and we have a temporary rental near my parents in Rural GA lined up for when we get a closing date.  My twin brother died, so I have to stay here for at least a year and get everyone settled into life without him. But we promised we wouldn't let death or covid babies etc get in the way!
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab