Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shipping 27" iMac - Help!  (Read 1397 times)

• Liked: 6
Shipping 27" iMac - Help!
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:28:35 PM »
Hello,

I just recently got approved for my Spouse Visa (Yay!).  Now the headache is how am I going to get my 27" iMac from USA to UK in one piece? Can someone explain in detail if they had to go through a similar scenario? That's literally all I am shipping.  I know some people say to go through UPS and stuff like that but if someone can explain in detail the costs, etc. I would appreciate it! :)
~Priority Settlement Spouse Visa~
Priority: Yes
Online application submitted: 17 Feb 2019
Biometrics & docs mailed: 21 Feb 2019
Documents received in NY: 22 Feb 2019
Documents received by Sheffield on: 25 Feb 2019
Decision Made Email: 18 March 2019
APPROVED!!: 20 March 2019
Arrived in the U.K.: 03 April 2019

• Liked: 957
Re: Shipping 27" iMac - Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:16:38 AM »
You'll need to apply for a TOR form first or you'll pay import duty and you don't want that. Since its the only thing you need to ship (vs a pallet worth of stuff) getting quotes from major carriers is probably your best bet. It won't be cheap, but it'll be less than a new computer!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
I would package it up in the original box then wrap it in bubble wrap then wrap it in plastic (like what some people do to their suitcases), then get some FRAGILE tape and wrap it all around. Contact the airline you're flying with and pay for it to be carried on the same flight. They always have specific costs for bulky items. You'll receive it right on your hands on the other side without any additional costs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
I would package it up in the original box then wrap it in bubble wrap then wrap it in plastic (like what some people do to their suitcases), then get some FRAGILE tape and wrap it all around. Contact the airline you're flying with and pay for it to be carried on the same flight. They always have specific costs for bulky items. You'll receive it right on your hands on the other side without any additional costs.

My thoughts exactly.  You could always go one step further and have it professionally packed - probably wouldn't cost more than $100 to have packed.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:39:14 PM »

You can usually send it as an extra luggage if the dimensions don't go past 60 inches (height+width+length). Otherwise, you'll pay for an oversized bag. Which might still be cheaper than shipping.  ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
I'm %99 sure that your computer will work with 220 V power supply, but you should check to be sure.  I'd also check to be sure it's worth shipping.  It's going to be a massive PITA to deal with during a busy time, and you can buy computers here. There's also the risk of damage. 

• Liked: 387
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »
Back in 2010 when I moved over, I packed my iMac in the original box and for extra peace of mind, filled all the empty space with packing peanuts.  (though this probably wasn't necessary as the iMac had been transported to the Apple store from the manufacturing factory in just the polystyrene cut-outs  in the original packaging and it survived fine... but I felt better doing it and it wasn't like the peanuts added a significant amount of weight) 

I wrapped the box in plain brown paper, sealed it up with generous amounts of packing tape, and took the whole thing to my local FedEx representative and had it shipped.  I can't remember how much it all came to, but I do remember that it wasn't horribly outrageous (and I had the optional insurance added on).  I advised FedEx that it was a personal possession I was shipping to the UK as I was moving there, and they took care of all the paperwork.  It arrived in the UK in perfect condition.

ETA:  I don't know what FedEx shipping will put you back now in 2019 though.  It might not be a financially savvy way anymore.  I really wish I remembered how much it cost me back in 2010 to give you a starting point, but I really can't remember.  I *think* it was only a couple hundred?  And that was inclusive of insurance for a full replacement if it got damaged.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:34:51 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:24:22 PM »
I'm %99 sure that your computer will work with 220 V power supply, but you should check to be sure.  I'd also check to be sure it's worth shipping.  It's going to be a massive PITA to deal with during a busy time, and you can buy computers here. There's also the risk of damage.

(Note - whatever you paid for your computer in the States, double or triple the cost to replace it here. ;) )

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 05:24:58 AM »
Here is the price comparison. It's not as bad as twice the price but it is more expensive to buy in the UK.

https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
I must have just been "lucky" then, when I wanted to get a replacement for my old Dell. (Probably because it's not on the retail market any longer.)

Something else to consider - it's my understanding that most recently-manufactured computers are switchable between 220v and 115v. My old Dell here was supposed to be able to do that as well, but I could never get it to work on 220v (yes, flipped the switches, etc.). I was able to buy, for about £60, a transformer that has two outlets, and that works a charm to power it. There's an (American outlet, you can't get them here that I've been able to find) extension cord on the other outlet that runs various other bits of my home electronics just fine. It seems to be currently unavailable on Amazon, but they have others that are similar 

• Liked: 3595
Shipping 27" iMac - Help!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:09 AM »
I must have just been "lucky" then, when I wanted to get a replacement for my old Dell. (Probably because it's not on the retail market any longer.)

I bought my first MacBook in the US in 2012 because it was much cheaper than in the UK. However, by the time I needed to replace it, the exchange rate had dropped considerably due to the referendum, and it turned out it wasn’t that much more to buy the new one in the UK instead of the US, so I got it in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
And you can get the US style keyboard in the UK for no additional charge.  :) I chose to do that and it just took a week or two to receive it.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
Something else to consider:  when you are looking at prices, the price you see in the UK is usually the price you pay (except if there's a delivery charge to be added). The VAT charges are figured into the price. The prices you see quoted in the USA will still have local/state sales tax (if applicable) to add onto it.

Sponsored Links