Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: It’s time to start thinking about renewal  (Read 284 times)

• Liked: 325
It’s time to start thinking about renewal
« on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
I’ll have been here 2 years in June.  I arrived for the first time on my visa on 7 June 2017.  My questions are as follows:

What are the earliest and latest dates I can submit my paperwork? 

What is the first visa extension called?

We have managed to get most of our stuff in both our names, I.e. council taxes, mortgage, land registry, bank accounts.  All to the same address and spread out over the entire period.

I have to send it all in, rather than an in person application because I originally had a refusal.  How long will my passport be tied up?

I want to start gathering my documents together and be ahead of the game.  I was a blithe fool the first time.

• Liked: 1327
Re: It’s time to start thinking about renewal
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
I’ll have been here 2 years in June.  I arrived for the first time on my visa on 7 June 2017.  My questions are as follows:

What are the earliest and latest dates I can submit my paperwork? 

What is the first visa extension called?

We have managed to get most of our stuff in both our names, I.e. council taxes, mortgage, land registry, bank accounts.  All to the same address and spread out over the entire period.

I have to send it all in, rather than an in person application because I originally had a refusal.  How long will my passport be tied up?

I want to start gathering my documents together and be ahead of the game.  I was a blithe fool the first time.

You can apply from as early as 28 days before 30 months since you arrived, which in your case is November 9th (28 days before December 7th).  The latest you can apply is before the expiry date on your BRP.

Assuming the visa you are currently on is a spouse visa, your next visa will be FLR(M).

I can't answer the question about timeframe as I'm not well informed about processing since the new system came in last year.  But I think it's not taking terribly long... six weeks, if I had to guess.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 325
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
You can apply from as early as 28 days before 30 months since you arrived, which in your case is November 9th (28 days before December 7th).  The latest you can apply is before the expiry date on your BRP.

Assuming the visa you are currently on is a spouse visa, your next visa will be FLR(M).

I can't answer the question about timeframe as I'm not well informed about processing since the new system came in last year.  But I think it's not taking terribly long... six weeks, if I had to guess.

Oh well.  If they want to see me for thanksgiving or Christmas this year, they’ll have to visit me.  Thanks for the information.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
Just another note to add that they no longer do in person applications.  There *are* options for "faster" processing but they leave a lot to be desired.  You could use it even though you have a refusal.  But I wouldn't recommend it as the standard processing for FLR(M) is usually very quickl.  8 weeks at worst, but usually a couple of weeks faster.  Easy savings of £610 - £710 for faster processing.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:24 PM »
Oh well.  If they want to see me for thanksgiving or Christmas this year, they’ll have to visit me.  Thanks for the information.

When does your BRP show your visa expires?  If it's after Christmas, you could go home for the holidays, then come back and submit your application.  (Ignore me if you're looking for an excuse to make them come to you this year!)

Your application doesn't have to be decided before your current visa expires.  You just need to submit the application before your current visa expires.  As long as you have a valid application submitted before your current visa expires, your visa is automatically extended until a decision has been made on the application, so you can remain in the UK without stress.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links