Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello! New Here...  (Read 1614 times)

• Liked: 9
Hello! New Here...
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Hello :)

Happy to find a place to vent, get support. I am a California girl waiting patiently (well, trying to at least) to move to the UK to join my fiance. We became engaged early this year. My fiance is just about divorced but we're waiting on the decree absolute so I can apply already for a visa.

The wait has been difficult. The divorce was promised to be done within 6 to 9 months. We're nearing 9 months now. Every day is a struggle. I've dealt with some mental health issues (depression) for several months now. I just want out of here. I want to be with the love of my life.

We had read the various government visa rules and documents and all that and we *thought* there was something in place where-by we could get a letter from his solicitor saying the divorce was imminent and that he had the Decree Nisi and all that and when the solicitor expected the divorce to be finalized. But looking at this government site closer, it appears that was outdated information. That was a blow to us. We had hopes of applying several weeks ago until we opened our loving, overly-hopeful eyes and read what had been right in front of us the whole time.

So, I wait. I am glad you are all here. I feel like I am not alone. We all have to wait for something or other on this journey abroad. I am just ready to move already. Arghhhh.

Looking forward to meeting you all and chatting more. :)
==Beginning my journey (work in progress)==
Date of fiance(e) visa application: July 11, 2020
Date of biometrics: July 20, 2020
Date documents sent to NY Hub: July 21, 2020
...more coming soon!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Hello! New Here...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Hello :)

Happy to find a place to vent, get support. I am a California girl waiting patiently (well, trying to at least) to move to the UK to join my fiance. We became engaged early this year. My fiance is just about divorced but we're waiting on the decree absolute so I can apply already for a visa.

The wait has been difficult. The divorce was promised to be done within 6 to 9 months. We're nearing 9 months now. Every day is a struggle. I've dealt with some mental health issues (depression) for several months now. I just want out of here. I want to be with the love of my life.

We had read the various government visa rules and documents and all that and we *thought* there was something in place where-by we could get a letter from his solicitor saying the divorce was imminent and that he had the Decree Nisi and all that and when the solicitor expected the divorce to be finalized. But looking at this government site closer, it appears that was outdated information. That was a blow to us. We had hopes of applying several weeks ago until we opened our loving, overly-hopeful eyes and read what had been right in front of us the whole time.

So, I wait. I am glad you are all here. I feel like I am not alone. We all have to wait for something or other on this journey abroad. I am just ready to move already. Arghhhh.

Looking forward to meeting you all and chatting more. :)

Welcome!  :)

What you might want to consider is having him fly over and you guys getting married  in the US once the divorce is finalised.

It's much cheaper doing it that way, there is one less visa application and if you entered the UK on a spouse visa, you'd be entitled to work and use the NHS for free right away.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Welcome to the site sorry it has been difficult for you and hope your move happens soon
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

I second larrabee’s suggestion of marrying in the US - makes things a lot easier, especially if you wish to be able to work right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
Welcome to UKY!

I also vouch for marrying in the US first if you're flexible about location.  It's super easy and you get immediate access to certain things in the UK (e.g. permission to work, NHS access free at the point of care) with a spouse visa that aren't permitted with a fiance(e) visa.  Whichever path you decide, best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.  :)

• Liked: 672
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
Hi Cali - exSoCal here. Welcome to the board!  What part of the UK are you headed to?

• Liked: 49
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
Hi Cali,

Hope all your issues get sorted and I with many know the mental stress this can all cause :)

As advised already, getting legally married in the US is a simpler and cheaper way to go. We went down that route and made the process a whole lot easier.
Visa Type: Spouse Visa
Priority Service: Yes
Online app submitted: 8th Nov 2018
Biometrics & docs sent: 13th Nov 2018
Application delivered in NY: 14th Nov 2018
Application received email from Sheffield: 18th Nov 2018
Request for "documents": 13th Dec 2018
Decision made email: 18th Dec 2018
Passport received: 22nd Dec 2018 (APPROVED!)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
Hi Cali - exSoCal here. Welcome to the board!  What part of the UK are you headed to?

Hi :) I was born and raised in San Diego. Now I live about 5 hours north of SF. I am seeking to move to the Manchester area.

Thanks everyone.

And ya, I am keeping marriage in the US in mind but there are some predicaments I am in that make that hard. I basically need to be out of my current residence by June (might be able to extend this a bit) and I am hoping this divorce can hurry and get finished so I can move once: here to the UK. Otherwise I have to move twice and I am not entirely sure where I can move for what is hopefully a short amount of time. It's a long story, don't want to bore anyone. But yes, I am keeping marriage here open. :)
...more coming soon!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
Cool. Just finished up 25 years in San Diego recently. So you're well up behind the redwood curtain then? Good luck with it all!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 08:00:39 PM »

I basically need to be out of my current residence by June (might be able to extend this a bit) and I am hoping this divorce can hurry and get finished so I can move once: here to the UK. Otherwise I have to move twice and I am not entirely sure where I can move for what is hopefully a short amount of time. It's a long story, don't want to bore anyone. But yes, I am keeping marriage here open. :)

Based on current processing times, you're already cutting it very close if the divorce goes through this month. Are you able to switch to month to month, or have friends/family as a backup? Unfortunately having a backup plan is really important when juggling so many things. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
Have a look into Airbnb’s as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 04:44:13 AM »
I need to look into what my backup plan is. This divorce is just dragging now. I doubt it will be done this month. We've both been waiting so long and the wait wears on us both. Couple it with depression and things can get hard at times. :/

I am still applying for UK jobs as well. If I could get a job, that would be amazing. I've been trying for several months now to get one. I finish my grad degree this month so fingers crossed someone soon gets back to me.

And yes, behind the redwood curtain LOL. Makes it difficult to get moving sorted and for going to the UK in general!
...more coming soon!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab