Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Car insurance for US visitors in UK  (Read 765 times)

• Liked: 0
Car insurance for US visitors in UK
« on: March 23, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »
My dad (US citizen/licence) is visiting for the month of June and I'd love for him to be able to drive our car while he's here. Anyone have ideas on how to get him insured on our UK car? We have Admiral insurance and I haven't called them yet but am pretty sure from internet research that they will only temporarily insure UK residents. I've also been researching potential temporary insurers but all I've found so far say they can't do US licence holders... Thanks in advance for any tips, it'd be great for him to be a bit independent while he's here!!!

• Liked: 1891
Re: Car insurance for US visitors in UK
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
I think there's insurance brokers who can arrange insurance in unusual cases. Might be worth a Google.

Also, Admiral may be willing to add a us person to your policy but not create a new policy for them.  The latter may be what you saw online.

Good luck

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
Maybe he could just rent a car for a few days (insurance is easy then) and use public transport or Uber the rest of the time? 

• Liked: 716
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
In 2010 my wife’s father was seriously ill and in hospital and we visited from the USA for 10 weeks. We were able to add me to his car insurance. Don’t recall which insurance company.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
Maybe he could just rent a car for a few days (insurance is easy then) and use public transport or Uber the rest of the time? 
Unfortunately we live in the countryside where public transport and Uber are both very limited. We're hoping they'll be able to use our car for day trips further afield when we're working so hiring a car would be much more expensive and they will want to go places where public transport isn't easy...

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
In 2010 my wife’s father was seriously ill and in hospital and we visited from the USA for 10 weeks. We were able to add me to his car insurance. Don’t recall which insurance company.

Thanks, I checked with our car insurance (which is Dial Direct, not Admiral...forgot we changed for price reasons last autumn) and they can't insure non-UK residents either as an addition to our policy or independently.

I've found one place that says they do temporary policies for non-UK residents but they won't do a quote until 30 days out and it'd be nice to have something to compare with if anyone knows of other people who may do a temporary policy. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links