Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dressing for an Interview  (Read 16975 times)

• Liked: 239
Re: Dressing for an Interview
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
Aww. Don't worry though, you'll find the right one Nan!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 957
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get it Nan. The only thing I can suggest is volunteering until you do find a job, if there is any type of service you have an interest in helping. You're wise and experienced and I'm sure have a lot to offer, on your terms. Some charities also have paid roles, so after volunteering you may end up somewhere you enjoy with the income 'needed'! (in quotes because I know you're only looking to help secure residency, not for financial reasons.)

But for this one, the company not giving a contact number, and not telling you how to navigate construction sounds like a few strikes for them too. Hopefully the next one is better! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get it Nan. The only thing I can suggest is volunteering until you do find a job, if there is any type of service you have an interest in helping. You're wise and experienced and I'm sure have a lot to offer, on your terms. Some charities also have paid roles, so after volunteering you may end up somewhere you enjoy with the income 'needed'! (in quotes because I know you're only looking to help secure residency, not for financial reasons.)

But for this one, the company not giving a contact number, and not telling you how to navigate construction sounds like a few strikes for them too. Hopefully the next one is better! :)

Yeah, I was geting a little annoyed, to tell you the truth. I had a number for their HR dept, and had been calling it while walking, and it kept going to voicemail. The Daughter says that they mustn't have wanted me to succeed, as they threw so many roadblocks in my way.  Too bad, really, as I liked the women I interviewed with. But they may have been looking for something else in an employee. Or had someone in mind already. Either way, my blisters feel better tonight. There will be something else.

Yeah, it's only to get the Daughter settled status early. I am hoping to land one that won't pay a lot less than my Social Security (which I will lose). As long as it's close, my budget will bear it for a year.

I have looked for volunteer opportunities, no luck so far. I need to have one that doesn't have heavy public contact, as I cannot understand people (combination of the accent and my poor hearing). I have to be able to get to it by public transportation, as well. The combination is somewhat limiting.

On the good side, I found a job to apply for at the Uni (walking distance), and two at NHS (on the bus line - one at the Royal Infirmary and one down at the Death Star) so I've applied for all three tonight. We'll see if anything sticks to the wall.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:20:53 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »

On the good side, I found a job to apply for at the Uni (walking distance), and two at NHS (on the bus line - one at the Royal Infirmary and one down at the Death Star) so I've applied for all three tonight. We'll see if anything sticks to the wall.  :) :) :)

Good luck with those!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
Yeah, I was geting a little annoyed, to tell you the truth. I had a number for their HR dept, and had been calling it while walking, and it kept going to voicemail. The Daughter says that they mustn't have wanted me to succeed, as they threw so many roadblocks in my way.  Too bad, really, as I liked the women I interviewed with. But they may have been looking for something else in an employee. Or had someone in mind already. Either way, my blisters feel better tonight. There will be something else.

Yeah, it's only to get the Daughter settled status early. I am hoping to land one that won't pay a lot less than my Social Security (which I will lose). As long as it's close, my budget will bear it for a year.

I have looked for volunteer opportunities, no luck so far. I need to have one that doesn't have heavy public contact, as I cannot understand people (combination of the accent and my poor hearing). I have to be able to get to it by public transportation, as well. The combination is somewhat limiting.

I'm sorry about the job, Nan. Glad your blisters feel better though! Fingers crossed that you find a position that pays well really soon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about the job but something else will happen and it will be good.

I will say that if you think the HR department was conspiring against you to schedule construction and not answer their phones, you are vastly over estimating the organisational competence of most UK businesses.  Most companies I've been involved with can barely order paper towels correctly, much less organise such a crafty set of obstructions.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
Sorry to hear about the job but something else will happen and it will be good.

I will say that if you think the HR department was conspiring against you to schedule construction and not answer their phones, you are vastly over estimating the organisational competence of most UK businesses.  Most companies I've been involved with can barely order paper towels correctly, much less organise such a crafty set of obstructions.

No, I don't think the HR was conspiring against me at all.  ;D I think they were out to lunch, either figuratively or literally. The level of incompetence in that particular larger organization is legendary. That they didn't supply direct contact info (or names) or provide info on the detours necessary to access the interview site kind of reinforces that, really. (No, really. I can see them on the phone - hey, we've got Ms. NanD coming in today. Quick, throw up a bunch of fences around the walkways to the building, tear out the concrete, and lock the doors!)

What I think may be the case, and I know this happens very often in the industry in question, is that they already had someone from either inside or outside the org that they wanted to hire (someone's friend or relative). The department still has to interview the requisite number of bodies to make sure they comply with "open recruitment" regulations, but they have already selected their candidate. So I had no chance from the start. There were to be no second interviews, apparently, so it was a one-time shot at geting it. If there was any chance at all.

Who knows? They may have wanted someone much younger. Or with a different set of skills. Or who was not a foreigner. Or... there could be an endless list of "what if's" - and I'll never know because they don't do feedback. Or the 7 minutes late could have killed my interview from the start. Which is annoying as I was there fifteen minutes early, as is my usual MO. Again, no way to know and a set of blisters for my trouble. ::)

Edit:  Ok, well, blisters and a chance to practice interviewing. I thought the actual meeting went quite well - better than my "usual" interviews, which I tend to not do well in.  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:20:33 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »
and I'll never know because they don't do feedback

Did they tell you that they don't do feedback? That's odd and pretty crap :( Least they could do is give you SOME type of feedback. Could you reach out by email/phone to whoever contacted you initially about the job?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
They said there would be no further contact unless I was selected for the position. Period. They don't discuss performance at interviews due to their workload.

Other than leaving me wondering, it's not all that bad. It was not a great job, but was a job that paid enough for the duties and the hours worked, was permanent for a few years, was part-time, and I could walk to it. There will be other opportunities, just not many that tick off all the boxes on my list.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:27:49 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
They said there would be no further contact unless I was selected for the position. Period. They don't discuss performance at interviews due to their workload.

Other than leaving me wondering, it's not all that bad. It was not a great job, but was a job that paid enough for the duties and the hours worked, was permanent for a few years, was part-time, and I could walk to it. There will be other opportunities, just not many that tick off all the boxes on my list.

Yeah a company like that is not one I'd want to work for :( I can understand not providing feedback if you didn't even make it to the interview stage, but having interviewed I feel they at least owe you some type of feedback...

Onward and upward! Good luck on your next interview :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
Not what I'd consider ideal, either. But a job is a job is a job right now.

I've applied for two with NHS this week. Unfortunately they are full-time, but I can reach them by public transport.  I'm trying to avoid being put into a clinical medical environment, as there are somewhat compromised immunity issues I don't want rearing their ugly little heads on me on. But there's bound to be some back-office, and I'll carry hand sanitizer and keep my fingers crossed!  I've also applied for one with the Scots govmt., also, unfortunately, full-time, but accessable by bus.

Have found and applied for one more that was at two days a week. I am hoping the residency people would consider that "meaningful" work, as the pay is decent enough if they offer me at the top of the range they advertised. (I'd only be losing £200 a month from having to stop my Social Security at that point.)  It looks like an adquate-enough job, nothing strenuous, things I have done many times in the past, within walking distance, but only funded until the end of January 2020. (I am afraid it may be funded by an EU grant.) I need work to last through the end of April 2020, at least. But perhaps they have the option to have it extended. Or perhaps I could find something else to bridge the gap between the end of that one and the end of the full year's employment I need. In any event, it was worth applying for, and if they call me in for an interview and want to proceed, we can always discuss the particulars.

Will keep looking. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. ;)

Unfortunately, one of my blisters is not looking good. Thankfully I have some neosporin and have slathered that on and am at least not having it sting so much, still.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:20:20 AM by Nan D. »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
Having been the interviewer a few times in the last few months, its hard to pick a person. You know everyone wants/needs the job. And you have to weed them out.  Sometimes someone stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Sometimes there are a few folks on level playing field and you just have to pick one. Sometimes no one fits. 

Oh well, did you ask for feedback? 

Sorry you didn't get the job  :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 09:17:38 AM »
Having been the interviewer a few times in the last few months, its hard to pick a person. You know everyone wants/needs the job. And you have to weed them out.  Sometimes someone stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Sometimes there are a few folks on level playing field and you just have to pick one. Sometimes no one fits. 

Oh well, did you ask for feedback? 

Sorry you didn't get the job  :\\\'(

Yes, I was told they "don't do that."

Yep, could be anything at all. So time to move on.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »
'Nuther interview, part-time, next Friday.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »
'Nuther interview, part-time, next Friday.  :)

Good luck!  :)  Be early!  ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab