Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dressing for an Interview  (Read 16969 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Dressing for an Interview
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »
What if the person had no clue about dress due to an invisible disabilty?  So that's ok then, to discriminate against them in a hiring situation for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the job to be done?

Can you help me understand a situation where a hidden disability affects a person's choice of wardrobe (causing them to wear a bowtie and braces when most people don't wear them), but doesn't reflect their judgement or decision-making skills?  There's probably an obvious situation, but I'm genuinely not coming up with it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
A guy showed up yesterday for an interview wearing suspenders and a bow tie.

Let's just say he's lucky I wasn't making the hiring decision.

Just so long as he was wearing *American* suspenders and not *British* suspenders....  ;D

British suspenders would definitely affect the interviewers decision!  hee hee hee hee

• Liked: 674
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »
"Can you help me understand a situation where a hidden disability affects a person's choice of wardrobe (causing them to wear a bowtie and braces when most people don't wear them), but doesn't reflect their judgement or decision-making skills?  There's probably an obvious situation, but I'm genuinely not coming up with it."

Autism spectrum disorders, for one. Could be a world-expert in, say, games theory or particle physics, and not have a clue what was appropriate to wear when interviewing with someone of a specific social class (and their inherent expectations) for a specific role with a specific organization in a specific part of the world - or any idea that it would matter.

And then, outside of disabilities, there's culture/ethnicity. And class. Etc.

Bottom line is that you're hiring expertise, not fashion sense. Unless you are hiring for a customer-facing role where your organization is trying to project a specific image.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:41:55 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
Just so long as he was wearing *American* suspenders and not *British* suspenders....  ;D

British suspenders would definitely affect the interviewers decision!  hee hee hee hee

I mean, the interviewer is probably more shocked that they could see the suspenders than that the applicant wore them!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »

Fact. "Bold move", in this instance, would be a severe but hilarious understatement hahahaha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Fact. "Bold move", in this instance, would be a severe but hilarious understatement hahahaha

Dr. Frankenfurter might choose to dispute.  ;D :) :)

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
Dr. Frankenfurter might choose to dispute.  ;D :) :)

I think he has his own issues that MAYYY make him less than an ideal candidate (not including his dress code). He would be HR's nightmare! LOL
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »
Can you help me understand a situation where a hidden disability affects a person's choice of wardrobe (causing them to wear a bowtie and braces when most people don't wear them), but doesn't reflect their judgement or decision-making skills?  There's probably an obvious situation, but I'm genuinely not coming up with it.
A number of learning disabilities can affect social reasoning. Hipsters like wearing clothes like that and Jimbo works at a pretty techy place, so they could have thought it'd fit in well. I'm actually sure that's why they did, to show "individuality" while looking like every other microbrew IPA sipping tech nerd.

I have a simple black shift dress and suit jacket I wear for interviews because it's appropriate pretty much everywhere, but if I'm having a bad day the ankle braces and cane are visible, my dress shoes are made for diabetics and extra deep so the braces/orthotics fit. I was supposed to receive an email with the confirmation/details of the location for my interview tomorrow and never received it. They haven't replied to my followup email either. This was after I requested they not wear strong scents to the interview so I can breathe... I really hope that didn't kill my chances. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
I'm actually sure that's why they did, to show "individuality" while looking like every other microbrew IPA sipping tech nerd.

I also think they probably did it to try to show individuality amongst just liking the look themselves (....I would definitely consider it a positive fashion choice as I do like a man in American-suspenders! haha Sorry Jimbo....). But Then I also like a good microbrew..... hahaha

I'm sorry you've not heard back :( Did they give you a recruiter's number you could try phoning?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
A number of learning disabilities can affect social reasoning. Hipsters like wearing clothes like that and Jimbo works at a pretty techy place, so they could have thought it'd fit in well. I'm actually sure that's why they did, to show "individuality" while looking like every other microbrew IPA sipping tech nerd.

I have a simple black shift dress and suit jacket I wear for interviews because it's appropriate pretty much everywhere, but if I'm having a bad day the ankle braces and cane are visible, my dress shoes are made for diabetics and extra deep so the braces/orthotics fit. I was supposed to receive an email with the confirmation/details of the location for my interview tomorrow and never received it. They haven't replied to my followup email either. This was after I requested they not wear strong scents to the interview so I can breathe... I really hope that didn't kill my chances. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oh, noooooo.  :o

Spam filter? Have you checked? Just in case? Can you phone them?

[The Daughter says that bow ties are a "thing" with Hipsters, but NOT with  whatever the group that is actually taking over from Hipsters is. She says Hipsters are going out-of-style, and there definitely is another wave coming in. So if the kid was young and was very fashion conscious....?]

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
[The Daughter says that bow ties are a "thing" with Hipsters, but NOT with  whatever the group that is actually taking over from Hipsters is. She says Hipsters are going out-of-style, and there definitely is another wave coming in. So if the kid was young and was very fashion conscious....?]

What's this group that's taking over from hipsters?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
What's this group that's taking over from hipsters?

She says she doesn't know the name - or if it's been named. They tend to back off from using a lot of technology is one of the things... They kind of shun Facebook, stuff like that, too.

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
She says she doesn't know the name - or if it's been named. They tend to back off from using a lot of technology is one of the things... They kind of shun Facebook, stuff like that, too.

Can't imagine this is the case with the guy at Jimbo's work then haha as he would be in the WRONG industry to back off from tech :p
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
I can't figure out how the guy made it into the office at all. I did the usual thing where I take the stack of CVs and divide them into two stacks and then bin one of the stacks.  This stops me from having to work with unlucky people.

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
I can't figure out how the guy made it into the office at all. I did the usual thing where I take the stack of CVs and divide them into two stacks and then bin one of the stacks.  This stops me from having to work with unlucky people.

This just shows that fashion choice does NOT tie into luck whatsoever! hahaha Dressing smarter and more posh will NOT increase your likelihood of winning the lottery
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab