Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just back from US and had some BBQ food  (Read 2732 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Just back from US and had some BBQ food
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:53 PM »
Just back from US and had some BBQ food and it definitely scratched an itch. Not the best BBQ I ever had, but sure was good.
My coworkers were really amused by the corn bread.  It was one of those meat by the pound places, sides all in little dishes, eaten family style.

Got me thinking. I think I need to change careers - open up a BBQ joint with a brewery onsite.  Smoker. Picnic tables. Iced tea by the gallon. Hoppy IPAs.  Very American.

Wonder if it would be successful? I know nothing about mass catering or brewing in mass quantities. I can do 'consumption of mass quantities' *  But wondering if would be too out there, taste wise? Too sweet or something?

*Coneheads reference, if you're a geek like me
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 957
Re: Just back from US and had some BBQ food
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
I think we have a member who has experience running a restaurant, was it Mrs Magpie? I often wish I had the know how to open a proper wing joint, but at least in this area the rental overhead/lack of parking would be an issue since delivery wings are never as good as fresh from the fryer. BBQ doesn't have that issue though so I think it would be a great idea if you're out of the way enough to not make neighbours sick from the smoke pollution. (that's a real risk, has shut down a few restaurants back in the US near where I lived.) I'd have a variety of beers though cuz not everyone wants a super hoppy one even if its authentic!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
BBQ doesn't have that issue though so I think it would be a great idea if you're out of the way enough to not make neighbours sick from the smoke pollution. (that's a real risk, has shut down a few restaurants back in the US near where I lived.) I'd have a variety of beers though cuz not everyone wants a super hoppy one even if its authentic!

Smoke pollution is a good point.  Yeah, most folks I know around here don't actually love hoppy beers , so it would definitely be a wide variety of beer.   :)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
I would LOVE it and spend my life there.  But, I'm not the normal target audience.

We have a rather successful "American BBQ" joint near us (me, Margo, XoD) called Blue's Smokehouse.  It's very "meh" but been around years and definitely gets the locals in.

http://bluessmokehouse.com/bracknell/

I'm not sure you'll ever get the locals to embrace ICED tea!  Could you imagine the shock of SWEET TEA?!?!?   ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
I could do 'Twisted Tea'  :D ;)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »
We had a fantastic bbq place by us, they even had St. Louis style ribs ( my home town) but they just weren’t getting the business so they shut down. Occasionally they still do pop ups, but I was sad to see them go.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »
I could do 'Twisted Tea'  :D ;)

Is that the same as an Arnold Palmer?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
Is that the same as an Arnold Palmer?

Isn't an Arnold Palmer Iced Tea and Lemonade?

I was talking about hard iced tea:
https://www.twistedtea.com/products/twisted-tea-original

;D
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »

;D

;D

Ooo yes, I much prefer YOUR tea to an Arnold Palmer.  ;)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
No hoppy IPA beers for me please.  I don't know about Scotland, but London is already full to the brim with IPAs that taste like a mouthfull of hops.  Now, if you made another batch of Oyster stout, I'd drive up.

Here's an idea, what if you opened a BBQ place that was not a restaurant, but only did take away Uber delivery?  Maybe with one table for friends or something.  Not sure how Uber delivbery works with craft beer, but a growler of beer delivered with BBQ ribs would be tough to beat.  And making BBQ without all those darn customers around all the time would be a lot easier.  Cook during the day, package it up at night and make a fortune.  No expensive shop front, no waiters, no dish washing. 

• Liked: 56
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:04 PM »
Actually, Deliveroo does something where it sets up kitchen spaces in old containers for restaurants that ONLY cook there - and deliver from deliveroo of course.

We are headed to the South on 10 April and will be traveling through NC, GA, and SC (and TN and TX too technically, but only the airports). I've got some BBQ looking places picked out as Boy likes wings, but if anyone has any suggestions near Charlotte, Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, or coastal GA, im all ears!

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
No hoppy IPA beers for me please.  I don't know about Scotland, but London is already full to the brim with IPAs that taste like a mouthfull of hops.  Now, if you made another batch of Oyster stout, I'd drive up.

Here's an idea, what if you opened a BBQ place that was not a restaurant, but only did take away Uber delivery?  Maybe with one table for friends or something.  Not sure how Uber delivbery works with craft beer, but a growler of beer delivered with BBQ ribs would be tough to beat.  And making BBQ without all those darn customers around all the time would be a lot easier.  Cook during the day, package it up at night and make a fortune.  No expensive shop front, no waiters, no dish washing. 

Or a food truck!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »
I really could go for some great bbq. But not Central NC bbq. I hate vinegar based sauce.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »

Got me thinking. I think I need to change careers - open up a BBQ joint with a brewery onsite.  Smoker. Picnic tables. Iced tea by the gallon. Hoppy IPAs.  Very American.

You have no idea how many times I've said this to myself! hahaha I would love to open even just a food truck with American craft brews!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
Here's an idea, what if you opened a BBQ place that was not a restaurant, but only did take away Uber delivery?

Hahahah, we don't even have regular Uber up this way, let alone Uber delivery.    :) I think we do have a deliveroo, but they don't deliver out my way, so not something I use.

Food truck. Hmm, not sure there is much of a food truck culture around here at the moment. Maybe I could start a revolution.
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links