Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job Relocation?  (Read 3952 times)

• Liked: 104
Job Relocation?
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Hi everyone :)  I've spent quite a lot of time over on the visa board but am finally venturing out into other parts of the forum!

I moved over to Scotland on a spouse visa (arrived just after Christmas) and have just started the job hunt. I was just getting into a professional groove when I moved and left behind a job I loved, a boss that was also a great friend and mentor, and a great salary. It was tough to give that up (and 99% of UK jobs in my field are based in London - go figure ::)) but I have no regrets and am SO thrilled to be here and with my husband. Even if I do miss my old job.

I started applying a few weeks ago and got a call this morning that I have an interview (!) for a full-time position (!!) that's based in Edinburgh. It's a field I'm really interested in & my experience is definitely a good fit. My only concern is that I'm currently living near Elgin - nearly 4 hours away - because of my husband's job (he's a teacher).

We're both desperate to move back to the central belt for a WIDE variety of reasons so this would be a great chance for us to start that process (and there should be suitable jobs for him opening up in the next few weeks). I am desperate to get back to work!! Northern Scotland is gorgeous but also very, very dull for a young unemployed person with no real ties here. ;D I just worry about if he's not able to get a new job and has to stay up here, while I move down to Edinburgh.

I feel like someone on here must have dealt with this before? Has anyone moved for a job and hoped that their spouse was able to join them? Does anyone work in a different city to their partner and travel home on weekends? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Of course all of these questions are contingent on a successful interview/job offer but I'm just curious if any of you have any advice!
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Job Relocation?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
We've had several members live apart from their spouse during the week and then they were back together at the weekend.

It's a bit trickier for the visa, as you still need to show that subsisting genuine relationship, but it can be done.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
@jfkimberly should be along soon to share her experience of that kind of situation.  :).

Best of luck with the interview!  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
I think it's fairly common in the contracting world. You can stay in an air b n be, work 12 hours a day for 4 days and drive home on Friday

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
I think this is more common than people realise because affordable housing is so far from many of the industry centers & jobs that meet the financial requirements. Good luck with the interview!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
Hi!  It's me!

Our situation:

We were living in Salisbury in a rented house.  My husband works.  I do not (and do not plan to).  Because my husband was my visa sponsor, he had to make £18,600pa for me to be eligible.  So, we started looking at houses.  In Wales.   ::)  And, inevitably, we found one that ticked very nearly all the boxes (it didn't have "a view", which was on my husband's "want" list, but it did satisfy all of our deal-breakers), we offered, it was accepted, and five months later, we finally completed.  And that's when the fun began!

So, we left our rental near Salisbury and I moved to our new house in rural southwest Wales in November 2016.  My husband had begun looking for work at our new location way back in May that year, when we made the offer on our house, but he hadn't found anything that paid enough to meet the visa threshold yet (if I worked, my income would have counted, so he could have taken a lesser job, but every time I pointed this out to my husband, he would say "Yes, but then you would have to work."  And, neither one of us particularly wanted this, least of all, me!).  So the first weekend, we moved me in and got me all situated, then he packed some clothes, and a toiletries bag, and headed off to work Monday morning.  He came home Friday evening.  In the evenings, we kept in touch via text, email, and calls, and we played online games together.  And we looked through job listings and sent each other prospects to consider.

Nearly a year later, in October, 2017, he finally had an interview for a job that exceeded the income requirement.  He was selected.  He still didn't start until March 25, 2018.  So from November 2016 until March 2018, my husband was gone during the week and home at the weekend.  And I didn't have a car.  And if the electricity went out, I didn't have heat, internet, or phone (I used mobile-to-wifi for phone service because we live in a mobile dead spot).

My ILR application came due just after he started at his new job.  Because of the recently-started new job, we qualified under Category B, using a year of income, and the continued salary going forward.  His address was our new house, and he received all of his post* here for relationship evidence.  Plus, we had evidence of our chat/emails/calls if they were confused about his employer's address being so far from our home address, and wanted to know that we were maintaining contact.  They only wanted the 6 items of correspondence, because he officially lived here with me.... he was just away for work during the week.

* He was worried about his employer thinking it odd that he lived 3-1/2 hours away from his work, so he kept our old address with them and had a redirect in place for two years.  So all of his payslips came to us with redirect stickers on them... and then I submitted those to UKVI for my visa.   ::)   But it all worked out in the end.  They didn't seem concerned.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! jfkimberly -- it's so nice to hear that it isn't a dealbreaker in UKVI's eyes, if it does come to us having to live apart for awhile. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare you two had to go through though!

Good news is that there's already another job for him posted near Edinburgh that he'll apply for so they're starting to trickle in now. Even better news is we're going on holiday to Greece next week so I'll be nice and relaxed for my interview on the 12th!  ;D Will let you all know how it goes!

FLR(M)

ILR

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! jfkimberly -- it's so nice to hear that it isn't a dealbreaker in UKVI's eyes, if it does come to us having to live apart for awhile. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare you two had to go through though!

Good news is that there's already another job for him posted near Edinburgh that he'll apply for so they're starting to trickle in now. Even better news is we're going on holiday to Greece next week so I'll be nice and relaxed for my interview on the 12th!  ;D Will let you all know how it goes!

OOoh, enjoy your holiday!  Best of luck for your interview.  I think you and your husband will have an easier time relocating if you're going to another big city.  The problem we faced was moving to a less-bustling part of the UK... there just weren't many opportunities to apply for that would satisfy in the income requirement.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
I had the interview yesterday morning (I was the last of 3 candidates) and got an email on our drive home that I didn't get the position. I have a phone call with them next week for feedback. I actually felt like the interview went well -- I felt confident and relaxed and really enjoyed chatting with the 2 women who interviewed me.

It went as well as it could have gone from my end so I suspect that one of the other candidates was just a better fit/had more experience - oh well! I was mostly just excited to have gotten an interview so early in my application process.

On the bright side, not getting this job means that I don't have to fret about coordinating a move with my husband's job situation. Onto the next!  ;D

FLR(M)

ILR

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »
I'm sorry you didn't get the position, but I find your reaction totally refreshing!  I think they missed a trick selecting someone else.  You sound like an enthusiastic person with a good level of personal responsibility.  I'd hire you if I was the hiring kind.  But, as you say, this means you don't need to fret about the logistics of relocating quite yet.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
I had another interview this morning — this one for a part-time post with the Council. They said they’d get back to me this afternoon so fingers crossed! I’m definitely more qualified for this one than for my previous interview and it was another really positive and fun interview so I’m feeling optimistic.

I partially hope I get it just because I am so over filling out job applications!!! Unfortunately I live in one of the more rural parts of Scotland so most of the non-manual labor jobs are part-time and don’t pay great, which has been kind of frustrating.

On the bright side, part-time income is better than no income and would mean that I don’t have to keep watching my savings deplete thanks to my student loans from the US. And it would get me out of the house! ;D I have started volunteering once a week at the local Citizens Advice Bureau and joined a jogging group but, as much as I love my husband, I really miss daily social interaction with other humans! Lol

Side note - the interviewers from my last interview offered to give me feedback and then never called. ::) Why bother offering then?

FLR(M)

ILR

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
I have my fingers crossed for you! I finally found a part time job, it's much better than nothing. :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Good luck elee!  :)

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
So a quick update: I still haven't heard back about my interview (even though they said they'd be in touch Thursday or Friday), but I just logged onto the portal that I applied for my job through and it says I've been unsuccessful.

I'm annoyed enough I didn't get the job but even MORE annoyed that they didn't bother to contact me to let me know a decision had been made. Ugh.

Onto the next... ::)

FLR(M)

ILR

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Happy to report that I accepted a job offer yesterday!!

I had 2 interviews last week - one for a post at the library in the next town over and one for the Waterstones in town (about a 10 minute walk from my flat). Both are part-time and, once I factor in travel expenses, pretty much the same pay. Waterstones is maternity cover until January and the library would've been permanent.

I heard back from the library first and, although I wasn't appointed to the post, they said they really liked me and my interview and offered me relief work - which I turned down because I was looking for something more reliable. Then about 30 minutes later Waterstones called and offered me the position!

I actually had a GREAT time at my Waterstones interview and ended up chatting with the two guys who interviewed me for over an hour. ;D They pretty much told me that it was mine and that I was far and away the best candidate (helloooo confidence boost) EXCEPT that I wouldn't be available for Christmas since I'll be back in the US. But then when he called me yesterday he said they were so impressed that they was no way they couldn't hire me.

Needless to say I'm very pleased!! I'll be starting mid-July, after my parents leave (they'll be here for a visit next week)! Woohoo!

FLR(M)

ILR

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab