Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Settled Status  (Read 3529 times)

• Liked: 1903
Applying for Settled Status
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
Trying to apply for settled status.  I had to borrow an Android phone to get it done because

The Home Office’s settled status app would shame a start-up that hired a teenager

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/01/home-office-s-settled-status-app-would-shame-start-hired-teenager

Half of the text told me that I could use my passport to prove my identity, it wasn't until I actually tried it that I found that I can only use a BRP. This included a 5 minute queue to access a web page, something that I have never seen anywhere else in my life.  You had to press a button, then a little bar appeared with a countdown set to 5 minutes.  At the end of 5 minutes, you were redirected to a web page that told you to download the app.  I've never seen anything like it and I've been earning my living from making web applications for more than 20 years. 

Is this part of the hostile environment or just plain incompetence?   

• Liked: 969
Re: Applying for Settled Status
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »

.... You know its the latter, but I'm sure it feels hostile!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 56
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 06:47:57 AM »
I've got a question about the BRP -

I have a 5 yr residence card, but its paper, ergo I can't use the whizzy app (which... sorta worked for the Swede as in we could scan but it was giving us pre-settled even though we have been here over 5 years and now I have to dig up more proof). Is there any way to change that in for a BRP? Or a point to doing that? Otherwise I think I've got to send my stuff in, which is sort of defeating the purpose here, not to mention I really need my passport this year.  ::)

• Liked: 347
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
Half of the text told me that I could use my passport to prove my identity, it wasn't until I actually tried it that I found that I can only use a BRP. This included a 5 minute queue to access a web page, something that I have never seen anywhere else in my life.  You had to press a button, then a little bar appeared with a countdown set to 5 minutes.  At the end of 5 minutes, you were redirected to a web page that told you to download the app.  I've never seen anything like it and I've been earning my living from making web applications for more than 20 years. 

They want your biometrics to be able to apply and  that does mean a BRP. Non-EEA citizens who have already given their biometrics for a FP, still need to go to a centre for scanning for these applications.

As there are multi millions in the UK using the EU routes, and they are still arriving before the UK close the doors, I should imagine there could be a rush to get an appointments at the scanning centres and you might need to look for these appointments. It should be easier for Brits using the EU's "free movement" because of these low numbers: one million Brits using the EU's "free movement" and these are spread across those 31 countries.

I assume the countdown is to stop the website from crashing with multi millions trying to use it.

Have you never noticed how some of the guidelines don't match the Immigration laws? I have no idea which civil service department writes those guidelines, or if they are written by some MPs, but the law will always trump the guidelines, because they are just guidelines. It's the same with the Statutory laws (made by any government) often so badly worded that the courts have to sort this out for rulings. The UK has Statutory laws and Common laws and the latter always seems to make sense when made.

Why didn't you apply for PR when UKVI told you to the other year, in that letter you showed that refused you a BPR for ILR because you didn't hold ILR? Did you ever send off for your SAR to see if you did have ILR? If you hold a valid ILR (UK immigration rules) then you don't need to apply under these EU/European Court of Justice rulings to be in the UK. Brexit does not affect UK immigration laws.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:42:31 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 686
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:08:47 AM »
I phoned the center in Edinburgh, back during the last of the testing phase, and got an appointment right away. They gave me my option of days and times out of several available.  We used the Daughter's EU residence (biometric) card for her and my Irish passport for me.  It is my understanding that as long as the passport has a biometric chip in it that can be scanned, it's good to go. Otherwise the only other option is to mail the paperwork and IDs off, which just makes me cringe at the thought. We were in and out of that office in 15 minutes.

I wonder how bad the lines are now? Probably not too bad, as people will probably want to download the ap? It might be worth contacting a center to go in and have them do the ID scanning, if you are in a hurry and have the appropriate documents?

I have never been able to get the verification page to load with FireFox. (The page that displays your photo and status, when all is done.) I emailed them shortly after we had approvals and said that the next page after pressing the "start" button took me to a "you've timed out" page. Received word back yesterday - they told me to do the usual "clear cache" stuff, which I'd already done before I wrote to them (I had told them I'd done that already).

They also suggested Chrome (which I won't use because of its affiliation with Google) or MSIE, which I don't have and am not downloading. I did get it to work on the Avast secure browser yesterday, but have never been able to get it to work on FireFox on my PC.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
I've got a question about the BRP -

I have a 5 yr residence card, but its paper, ergo I can't use the whizzy app (which... sorta worked for the Swede as in we could scan but it was giving us pre-settled even though we have been here over 5 years and now I have to dig up more proof). Is there any way to change that in for a BRP? Or a point to doing that? Otherwise I think I've got to send my stuff in, which is sort of defeating the purpose here, not to mention I really need my passport this year.  ::)

For settled status, your EEA sponsor needs to provide the proof they were in the UK for 5 years, which I think I read was was proof they  have not been outside the UK for for more than 6 months in any 12 months, for five years. If he is from one of the EEA countires where their citizens must serve in their armed forces as part of the required National Service,  that seems to be an exception. You can only have what your EEA citizen sponsor can have.  I assume Family Members must provide proof of that 5 years for settled status too?

The ECJ ruling "Retained Rights" will not apply to you because you are not married to your EEA citizen boyfriend and there is nothing in the EU Regualations for girlfreinds/boyfriends e.g. if their EEA sponsor finishes with them, they lose their right to be in that EEA country with immediate effect because their RC has become invalid.Totally different to UK immigration rules, where their "visa" remains valid until the end date and even if that visa is curtailed, they are given another 60 days from the date of that curtailment letter they receive from UKVI.

If you want British citizenship, the nationality rules are much stricter and also incorporate the Good Character requirements (e.g. 28 days overstaying if your EEA sponsor was not being an EU qualifed person, or as an Extended Family Member there were times of no RC) and the Immigration Act 2016 (e.g. working when the EEA citizen sponsor was not being an EU quailifed person).

You will need to give your biometrics for an appliciation to apply to remain in the UK. I have no idea if that means you can then avoid sending everything off as this system has only just opened up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:07:46 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
I phoned the center in Edinburgh, back during the last of the testing phase, and got an appointment right away.

That's because you read everything to ensure you are complying with EU rules at all times, and then you and a few others like you, took full advantage of the testing phase when it opened up to everyone.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:06:08 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 11:39:56 AM »
Those trying to use the Surinder Singh route to be in the UK, cannot use the online system and must request a paper form. You need to apply by the deadline too as this route is under the EU rules and is not covered in the Withdrawal Agreement (if there is one). You can either phone and ask for this form or apply online and then they will ask for all your details, name, address, Tel phone no, DoB, citizenship, passport number, then they will send a form. Once completed, that form and all the documents will need to be sent by post.

Just as you would have needed to be granted the EU's PR, you will still need to prove your  Centre of Life was in that EEA county and that the British citizen was/still is, a "qualified person": worker, or student/self suffciient with CSIs for everybody, etc,  as per the EEA Regulations.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:18:46 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
For settled status, your EEA sponsor needs to provide the proof they were in the UK for 5 years, which I think I read was was proof they  have not been outside the UK for for more than 6 months in any 12 months, for five years. If he is from one of the EEA countires where their citizens must serve in their armed forces as part of the required National Service,  that seems to be an exception. You can only have what your EEA citizen sponsor can have.  I assume Family Members must provide proof of that 5 years for settled status too?

The ECJ ruling "Retained Rights" will not apply to you because you are not married to your EEA citizen boyfriend and there is nothing in the EU Regualations for girlfreinds/boyfriends e.g. if their EEA sponsor finishes with them, they lose their right to be in that EEA country with immediate effect because their RC has become invalid.Totally different to UK immigration rules, where their "visa" remains valid until the end date and even if that visa is curtailed, they are given another 60 days from the date of that curtailment letter they receive from UKVI.

If you want British citizenship, the nationality rules are much stricter and also incorporate the Good Character requirements (e.g. 28 days overstaying if your EEA sponsor was not being an EU qualifed person, or as an Extended Family Member there were times of no RC) and the Immigration Act 2016 (e.g. working when the EEA citizen sponsor was not being an EU quailifed person).

You will need to give your biometrics for an appliciation to apply to remain in the UK. I have no idea if that means you can then avoid sending everything off as this system has only just opened up.

You are allowed one occurance of up to one year outside the country for good cause (health, education, military, etc.).  Once you have been here for three years, if you worked for at least a year during that time and decide to retire, you can apply for "settled" status and your dependents will get the same status. So, three years instead of five. But you do have to formally retire and cease working. What the dependent does thereafter is up to them.  :)  But once you get settled status, they can get it as well.

There is also a provision if you take up a job in the EU, but return home to the UK every week, to get the same status, I believe. So if you are in NI and take a job in the Republic....  ;D

Also, once you hit UK pension age, there is a provision. See  https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/settled-status-less-than-5-years

Yes, proof of residence for all parties concerned is required. (Unless I've missed something.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:22:21 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 05:13:14 PM »
Trying to apply for settled status.  I had to borrow an Android phone to get it done because

The Home Office’s settled status app would shame a start-up that hired a teenager

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/01/home-office-s-settled-status-app-would-shame-start-hired-teenager

I actually think it's the latter. 8)

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
Yes, proof of residence for all parties concerned is required. (Unless I've missed something.)

Somebody just asked if settled status will still be valid if the UK stays in the EU ;D. Anybody know?

Although when you see what is happening in the EEA countries, who are against the EU, I can't seek Free Movement being there for much longer. The EU elections next month should be interesting. The EU have already carried out a report to see what will happen to what they want if there is a rise in the anti EU MEPs.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 10:24:41 PM »
Yeah, who knows? They wanted to get us all registered anyway, so they'll have that.  ::)

If we stay in the EU, it just would be the same as it is now - after 5 years, you get your equivalent to permanent residency. That is respected by other EU countries. Until then,  pre-5 years you are here as long as you follow the restrictions placed upon you....

I do hate to see a swing to right-wing (aka neo-Nazi) nationalistic politics in any country. It tends to turn out badly for one minority group or another.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »
Just got an email telling me that I have settled status, indefinite leave to remain under UK law.

I ended up having to go to Croydon to provide my biometrics to some dodgy contractor who kept trying to sell me hundreds of pounds worth of upgrades, document checking and earlier appointments.  They actually sold a service where they would come to your home to take your biometrics!

Anyway, I didn't eventually even have to send off my passport and they promise to send me a BRP card in the next week.  For free!

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
Just got an email telling me that I have settled status, indefinite leave to remain under UK law.

I ended up having to go to Croydon to provide my biometrics to some dodgy contractor who kept trying to sell me hundreds of pounds worth of upgrades, document checking and earlier appointments.  They actually sold a service where they would come to your home to take your biometrics!

Anyway, I didn't eventually even have to send off my passport and they promise to send me a BRP card in the next week.  For free!

That's great, Jimbo! I believe that if you ever need to, you can also access your status online.

(Don't you just love the upselling bit?)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:56:20 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
Thanks Nan!

Sponsored Links