Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Settled Status  (Read 3527 times)

• Liked: 1903
Re: Applying for Settled Status
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
If you want to stay in the UK, I would make that a priority if I was you.
Thanks for the advice. 

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
Just got my BRP card in the mail.  I've been avoiding applying for that since the application used to be so painful, even though the government was constantly tightening the screws by making it "required" more and more often.

For once, procrastination paid off!

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:41 AM »
For once, procrastination paid off!

It's always great when that happens!  ;D

• Liked: 56
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
I had to upload copies of all my documents first, then make the appointment.  It was also crucial that my wife had obtained settled status first and I had her reference. 

Cool - that is very helpful. Currently 'working from home' a lot so I can take care of this ASAP. You know, before the Big Bad Immigration Authorities come for me.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »
We uploaded our 'proof' for 2014 and 2019  ::) last night - christ, who designed that hunk of crap? Other Half works in data engineering and yeah, we had to get out booze in order to deal with it. But its done, awaiting the judgement on him before I can apply, but that should be easier since I only got about 4 different family permits in my passport over 2014.

Thankfully, knowing the Ways of the Home Office, I had saved a LOT of mail from 2014-now 'just in case'.

• Liked: 686
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »
It's interesting that they still rely on paper mail for so much. We had heck getting the Daughter on any of the bills - most of the companies just wanted one name. But we managed a few. And, of course, they don't actually mail paper bills. Everything is online now.  It's encouraging that everything is to be scanned and uploaded, rather than produced in the original, for this HO endeavor.  :)  Soooo, hopefully when the time comes for the "settled" status having the council tax bills in both names (I have hardcopies of two of the three and a PDF of the third, so far) and her various Uni docs will work.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »
ok he just got the email that he has Settled Status so now I guess its my turn.

The hilarious thing, Nan, is that there is a govt push to be digital and yet... if all these places didn't send out letters Royal Mail would collapse. Its kinda like propping up the housing market :P But I agree, taking and uploading a picture is FAR easier - I had apparently already pdfd some relevant mail in 2014 anyway for one of my applications!

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44:35 AM »
Alright, I seem to be stuck in some sort of Kafkaesque nightmare that ISNT work for once:

I go on the app and there is now a question about 'Are you an EEA or Swiss National; -> Yes (then you can use passport) or No (you must use biometric residence card)

Ok, cool, I've got that, but then when I go to the online application it tells me:

If you are from a country outside the EEA or Switzerland

You can use either:

your passport
    your UK residence card with a biometric chip

But I click through and I only get the biometric chip option. (although I swear when we started this back in March when it first opened up the passport was ok)

I dont care if I have to do the biometrics but trying to figure out HOW to do so...

I think its this:

1) Book an appt with UKVCAS ( https://www.gov.uk/ukvcas) and this is where I upload my supporting info
2) Do the biometrics
3) Wait for the card and then apply?

I feel like I am missing something somewhere but the guidance is contradictory (so surprising!)

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »
Ah may have got this - I think I have to apply via other means (online or post) and go through that sequence.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
I think you are in the same path I was.  If so, it's not so hard., even though it feels complicated at this stage. You fill in everything on line and upload your document, and you can do that in bits over time.  The app remembers where you are in the process.  Then you go and give your biometrics at a centre.  Resist all the ridiculously expensive extras they try to sell you.  Once finished, you get an email saying you have ILR in a week or so, then your BRP in the mail.  All free if I remember correctly.

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »
After the service going down earlier in the week I finally got my 2014 evidence uploaded and booked the biometrics. Somehow there is a 2pm available on Monday in Croydon (free) so I will go down there. Do I need to bring the physical evidence that I just uploaded or something? It says bring your documents for scanning/document checking, but I didn't buy any of the additional services. Or are they just going to take fingerprints and I need to bring ID (not a problem)?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
After the service going down earlier in the week I finally got my 2014 evidence uploaded and booked the biometrics. Somehow there is a 2pm available on Monday in Croydon (free) so I will go down there. Do I need to bring the physical evidence that I just uploaded or something? It says bring your documents for scanning/document checking, but I didn't buy any of the additional services. Or are they just going to take fingerprints and I need to bring ID (not a problem)?

I would bring the documents just in case anything you scanned didn't get to them.  I don't know anything about the settled status process, but I believe if there are scanning issues for in-UK visa applicants, they can fill in missing bits at the appointment.  I would think it's the same for your application.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Applying for Settled Status
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
In my experience at Croydon, all they wanted to do was get my biometrics and scan my passport.  They weren’t interested in seeing or scanning anything else than my passport and fingers

Nonetheless, it can’t hurt to bring everything anyway.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:17:16 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »
Thats what I figured. I mean its what, an extra piece of paper and my old passport with the FPs in it.  ::)

Itll feel great to get this done though!

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 02:28:37 PM »
Aaannnddd... we're clear. Just got my Settled Status/ILR email notification. Ill assume the biometric thingy will come later in the post. Is that what I need to take now with me when I travel? I guess I'll print out this email too and put it with my passport just in case.

The trip down to Croydon wasn't that bad, just tiring. It was worse than the Las Vegas DMV, but I have to hand it to the staff there, one guy had enormous patience and a friendly manner with everyone, which was really amazing. At one point there were five prams and twelve (!) toddlers in the seated waiting area along with everyone else, waiting for a desk to come open for someone to do the final check through of the fingerprints. I spoke to the lady about her daughter's work in astrophysics - she was so proud!

Guess Ill get those life in the UK tests booked for us for this fall then - our long national nightmare is almost over!

Sponsored Links