Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?  (Read 1760 times)

• Liked: 12
Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
There seems to be a disconnect between the uncertainty of Brexit and Americans still immigrating to UK in large numbers that confuses me and makes me wonder if Brexit is overblown? It looks like so many people are still submitting applications etc, excited about their move, with no mention of worries over what Brexit could do to the entire British economy, jobs, quality of life, or anything.

Meanwhile I've been heeding the advice to stay put, don't do a thing until we know exactly what's about to happen, wait at least half a year, don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire, etc. Even though I've been wanting to move to the UK just as much as everyone else and have a longstanding connection to it. Maybe we're being overly cautious? It's hard to gauge the climate over there from here and all  I hear doom and gloom.

I'm just really confused!
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 1327
Re: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »
There seems to be a disconnect between the uncertainty of Brexit and Americans still immigrating to UK in large numbers that confuses me and makes me wonder if Brexit is overblown? It looks like so many people are still submitting applications etc, excited about their move, with no mention of worries over what Brexit could do to the entire British economy, jobs, quality of life, or anything.

Meanwhile I've been heeding the advice to stay put, don't do a thing until we know exactly what's about to happen, wait at least half a year, don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire, etc. Even though I've been wanting to move to the UK just as much as everyone else and have a longstanding connection to it. Maybe we're being overly cautious? It's hard to gauge the climate over there from here and all  I hear doom and gloom.

I'm just really confused!

Your situation is vastly different to the typical applicant, in that you and your partner are already together on the same side of the ocean.  Many of the applicants you're seeing are moving to join their partners after being separated.  Brexit or no, couples/families just want to be together.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
Your situation is vastly different to the typical applicant, in that you and your partner are already together on the same side of the ocean.  Many of the applicants you're seeing are moving to join their partners after being separated.  Brexit or no, couples/families just want to be together.

I see, so it's mostly just couples separated trying to move over right now? I can understand that.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:11:56 PM »

Exactly what I was going to say!   :)

Also, many of our members are younger and will be living with parents. They perhaps are not as established in their careers and are not going to be giving up a house.   Less to loose, if you like.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Agree with everything already said about how different the situations are.

Also, I can’t speak for everybody but one reason I advised to stay put as well is because it doesn’t seem like you are sure if this is the right move for you and seem to be very conflicted about it as well as it doesn’t seem you and your husband are in full agreement that you want to make this move work for definite. The uncertainty of Brexit plays into that because it certainly won’t help the situation and I wouldn’t want to advise you to make a costly and unnecessary move that could do more harm than good overall.

But yeah. The majority of people going over at the moment are couples reuniting. Brexit isn’t going to help with the adjustment, but being together for them will be more important than waiting separately to see what happens (with the US not necessarily being the most inviting to immigration at the moment either).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 387
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
That would be my best estimation as well.  For the vast majority of people, they are moving over to be with a partner already established in the UK or are moving on an employer-sponsored visa.  For partners who have been separated (sometimes for many years), the uncertainty surrounding Brexit ranks relatively low on the priority list when it comes to being able to live together after so long having to be apart.  And for those moving on an employer-sponsored visa, most are in niche and/or high level positions with an accompanying salary to reflect that. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
If you guys want to move, go for it!

I had thought you were undecided which is why I recommended waiting and seeing the impact of Brexit.  But no harm in moving, you can always move back if you aren’t happy.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »
For us the main reason is I have a good job in a large company which is unlikely to be affected massively by Brexit, I rent my own house whereas my wife has no job and no house in America (staying with different family members currently until the visa is sorted). So it makes sense for her to come here.

Every situation is different. We're lucky that I have that job and we have that certainty so irrespective of what happens with Brexit, we won't be affected a huge amount. Conversely it seems you have much more to lose and don't have the certainty in the UK, and whilst Brexit shouldn't make a *huge* difference I can understand why you'd be surprised at the eagerness of people moving over.

At the end of the day all I want to do is be with my wife. UK or US, both have pros and cons, both have uncertainty at the moment, but nothing's gonna stop the love that two people have and, to be honest, Brexit is one of the last things we thought about in our decision.
Married : 11/3/2019
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 14/03/2019
Biometrics appointment : 21/03/2019
Documents sent to NY : 21/03/2019
Documemts received in NY : 25/03/2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 27/03/2019
Decision made email: 18/04/2019
Visa Decision: 24/04/2019 (YES!)

• Liked: 29
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »
This is something I am very concerned about, but at the moment we feel like we need to be in England as my husband’s dad has been diagnosed at age 60 with Alzheimer’s and my husband was offered a job within his current company to transfer. I am very nervous about the impacts of brexit, but I think we would regret it terribly if we didn’t take this job opportunity and the ability to be close to my husband’s parents while my father in law is living out his last years. Luckily for us we have substantial savings from selling a couple of houses we own, but our money will only go so far and I’d hate for it to be thrown down the drain. However we do see it as an opportunity to get a home we might not have been able to afford a few years ago if the prices drop. I guess for us it’s a wait and see what happens. America is in its own poop show at the moment so it seems there’s really no good option, so we are taking the best option between the two.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
There seems to be a disconnect between the uncertainty of Brexit and Americans still immigrating to UK in large numbers that confuses me and makes me wonder if Brexit is overblown?

The other month the figures released showed that since the UK voted to leave the EU, another 800,000 EEA citizens have moved to the UK plus all the hundreds of thousands of non-EEA citizens using EU routes to be the UK. It is likely that figure is higher now as they are still arriving. Some of these are US citizens who use these EU routes to move to the UK. There are 33 countries to use Free Movement in.

Part of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement the EU insisted on (if there is one), was for the UK to continue to allow these EU routes to remain open in the UK for a few years after Brexit.  There are still double digit unemployment figures on the EU mainland and up in the 20s for youth unemployment in some Euro countries (e.g. France, Spain). Some of the Euro zone countries are now in recession (Italy) or on the brink (Germany) or are not looking good (e.g. France and all the other southern EU countries). The eastern european countries still need billions a year given to them by the richer EU countries (e.g. Poland given 10 billion a year). Greece still needs the IMF to bail them out and the debts of Italy is a constant worry to the EU because they could badly affect the Euro and bring the EU down: the Euro being based on Germany does not help the Mediterranean countries.

That might explain why millions of EEA citizens are still coming to the UK if they don't have the skills to get a work visa to any non-EEA country, but not why all the non-EEA citizens still want to be in the UK when they could be in their own country
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:14:51 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »

That might explain why millions of EEA citizens are still coming to the UK if they don't have the skills to get a work visa to any non-EEA country, but not why all the non-EEA citizens still want to be in the UK when they could be in their own country

Again, in many cases it’s  because they want to be reunited with a spouse (who likely has a steady job) and all else becomes less concerning/important.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
Again, in many cases it’s  because they want to be reunited with a spouse (who likely has a steady job) and all else becomes less concerning/important.

Why didn't you have a steady job in the US? Why would a spouse not be able to get a steady job in the US?

• Liked: 768
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
I've been here for 2 years now. My husband would not have moved to the US. He's too Scottish and would be miserable there. It was either I move to be with him or not be with him. It was an easy decision for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Why didn't you have a steady job in the US? Why would a spouse not be able to get a steady job in the US?

I was a university student living at home and my husband had a career he’d been in for years, a flat he owned, and a nice car that’s his baby. Not to mention his mom was in cancer remission but still had health struggles while my parents were healthy and doing fine ;)

I know I’ve asked before and you neglected to answer it, but what was your immigration story/personal experience? :)

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 768
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
I was a university student living at home and my husband had a career he’d been in for years, a flat he owned, and a nice car that’s his baby. Not to mention his mom was in cancer remission but still had health struggles while my parents were healthy and doing fine ;)

I know I’ve asked before and you neglected to answer it, but what was your immigration story/personal experience? :)

Susan... we've all been waiting to hear your immigration story.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links