Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?  (Read 1765 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
Also, she later had the cancer return and it killed her but us having been living in the UK meant we got to make the most out of her last few years and we have no regrets.

I’m a totally open book and happy to answer any questions ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
(Sorry was preoccupied before when I responded so I didn’t get to fully respond and can’t edit my post so just wanted to add the below)

If both people have steady jobs on a career path they’ve worked hard for, something has to give. There will be an American Sirius asking the same questions to an American saying “if your spouse had such a stable career, why did they give it up to move to the US?! Why didn’t you move to the UK??” (Considering both countries aren’t the most welcoming in regards to immigration at the moment). If both people have a steady job, it’s up to the couple to work out what the best situation for *them* is. What is the most cost effective and what will be the most cost effective going forward as well as which will offer them a better quality of life for what they want.

As you sound pretty ignorant most of the time when you speak of the immigrant experience, is it safe to assume you yourself have no first-hand experience of immigrating? If that is not the case, I’m quite surprised that you can’t work out why a person might give up a steady career to move to abroad to be with a spouse or why a person might choose to go to their partner in the UK vs their partner going to them in the US. Either that or maybe you lack the real life connections with immigrants outside of online forums who might have shown you how to feel a bit of empathy for an individual situation.

Either way, I can assure you I’m not sucking off the teet of your country ;) I very much contribute, do my fair share of giving back to the community (more so than many of my English peers), pay my taxes (including into the NHS which I rarely use). You may not understand why a person like myself would move here vs my husband moving to me, but thankfully the choice wasn’t yours to make.

I do hope you choose to share your story vs radio silence as it might help people you seem to bash heads with understand your situation more so we could understand where you’re coming from with many of your comments..

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
Have you seen the house XoD is buying?  And heard her tales of working huge amounts of extra hours at a level or two higher than she’s being paid for?  If not for her having moved to the UK and contributing so much to the British economy, I suspect several British-born citizens wouldn’t have had funding for NHS care or social benefits.

• Liked: 29
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »
Have you seen the house XoD is buying?  And heard her tales of working huge amounts of extra hours at a level or two higher than she’s being paid for?  If not for her having moved to the UK and contributing so much to the British economy, I suspect several British-born citizens wouldn’t have had funding for NHS care or social benefits.

I love hearing these kinds of examples and stories. I truly look forward to getting to know you all more on a personal level.

I know I shared our main reason for moving to England above, but I live in a very nice neighborhood in Houston and last night around bedtime we had to go on lockdown in our home bc a person who was fleeing from the police after shooting at a police officer and he was hiding out in our neighborhood armed and dangerous. Thankfully he was found (across the street in a tree near my friend’s house), but the fact we had this fear that we could get caught in our home with bullets flying or he could have come into our home without us knowing as our doors were unlocked as the kids had been playing outside in the backyard is terrifying. I do believe my children will be safer in general once we move and we will have more family close by. Anyways, sorry to rant, but last night I was reminded of another reason on my list that I am extremely looking forward to in May when we move. I won’t be afraid of being shot by someone literally anywhere I go. Ppl are even shot in road rage incidents here! It’s psychotic!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »
I love hearing these kinds of examples and stories. I truly look forward to getting to know you all more on a personal level.

I know I shared our main reason for moving to England above, but I live in a very nice neighborhood in Houston and last night around bedtime we had to go on lockdown in our home bc a person who was fleeing from the police after shooting at a police officer and he was hiding out in our neighborhood armed and dangerous. Thankfully he was found (across the street in a tree near my friend’s house), but the fact we had this fear that we could get caught in our home with bullets flying or he could have come into our home without us knowing as our doors were unlocked as the kids had been playing outside in the backyard is terrifying. I do believe my children will be safer in general once we move and we will have more family close by. Anyways, sorry to rant, but last night I was reminded of another reason on my list that I am extremely looking forward to in May when we move. I won’t be afraid of being shot by someone literally anywhere I go. Ppl are even shot in road rage incidents here! It’s psychotic!

A few weeks ago we had someone break into our flat while we were sleeping.  He tore up our bathroom in a drug fuelled state.

Last week my street was blocked off by police because the building next to ours was "under siege". Someone was holding someone else hostage.

I had never been a victim of crime in the US and I never felt unsafe.

And now I live in a very safe part of Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »
Yeah we had an attempted burglary on our house last year.  They got into two neighbors houses while they were sleeping and ransacked the places and stole their cars.  I am so incredibly grateful that they were unsuccessful getting into our home!

There is definitely not less crime here.  And they do active shooter drills in schools but tell kids it’s a bad dog trying to get in.  I do feel safe here though.  But I always felt safe in the US too.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »

There will certainly be a "your mileage may vary" disclaimer, but please be wary of the expectation that the UK is this safe place to be with little crime.  Generally speaking, yes, the UK is safe.  But it also has some of the same problems the US has with violent crimes and assaults being among them.  While it's true there aren't as many guns, there is a huge problem with knife crime.  About a year ago, there was a claim that London's murder rate was higher than New York's, and a BBC fact-check concluded this was true.  Once on my street, DH and I witnessed some people doing a drug deal that went sour.  The parties involved ended up wielding metal chains and a machete, and had a good go at each other (I'm sure with intent to kill seeing how vigorous they were getting).  My neighbor's glass patio door got broken during the fuss as it spiraled down the street.  Luckily the police attended before they got to where we were, so we weren't caught up in any of that drama.  But stuff like that can and does happen here.  I don't want to make it out that the UK is this is terrible crime-ridden place.  I do feel safe here.  I go out with friends and commute home by myself late at night.  I've never had any issue doing so.  But the UK has the same crime problems the US has.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
And now I live in a very safe part of Scotland.

There is a documentary on Scotland called Trainspotting. Wow it is crazy up there.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 387
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
There is a documentary on Scotland called Trainspotting. Wow it is crazy up there.

Yeah, Scotland has all the fun.

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
And Trainspotting 2.

Actually, we have a very real opiate addiction problem here.

I live near the city centre of Stirling. It's a small town in Central Scotland. It's relatively safe-ish but I see someone drugged up and od'ing on the street on a monthly basis. The paramedics scoop them up and go.

We also have a very high rate of alcoholism which also affects the city centre. I was physically assaulted last year by one of the town bams. She hit me in the back and ran on across the street to the rest of her alcoholic goons.

Luckily, Police Scotland along with the council have put in a dispersal order to move these people out of the city centre. But they are just moving elsewhere.

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
New word!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
Oh good more Brexit pot stirring.

Do tell me, what was the NET EU immigration rate since the vote? take your time, but i can bet its nowhere near this almost a million you claim.

Also, while you are at it, why don't you have a look at the most recent Non-EU immigration rates, net, compared to EU. You can take your time on that too - i imagine the maths will take a while to penetrate that thick skull of yours.

Someone, again, remind me why this person has not been banned permanently from this forum?

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
This is something I am very concerned about, but at the moment we feel like we need to be in England as my husband’s dad has been diagnosed at age 60 with Alzheimer’s and my husband was offered a job within his current company to transfer. I am very nervous about the impacts of brexit, but I think we would regret it terribly if we didn’t take this job opportunity and the ability to be close to my husband’s parents while my father in law is living out his last years. Luckily for us we have substantial savings from selling a couple of houses we own, but our money will only go so far and I’d hate for it to be thrown down the drain. However we do see it as an opportunity to get a home we might not have been able to afford a few years ago if the prices drop. I guess for us it’s a wait and see what happens. America is in its own poop show at the moment so it seems there’s really no good option, so we are taking the best option between the two.

I think regardless of what happens or doesn't happen with Brexit, you'll never have a regret when the day comes that your FIL is no longer with you both, knowing that you had time with him and not from thousands of miles away over video chat (speaking from personal experience).

It's true that the US has it's own set of issues at the moment as well so it's hardly like the two countries are on completely different playing fields or something. All you can do is compare and contrast which option is better for you and more viable (financially, most importantly) and go with that.

Susan... we've all been waiting to hear your immigration story.

Don't hold your breath waiting. My guess, again, is that there isn't an immigration story....which is fine. All are welcome on this forum. You'd just hope they'd be up front about it if they are the type to constantly question the motives of those on said immigration forum.

Thanks KF. I bust my balls in this country to make sure that I am not just building my own life here but also contributing back to the community where possible.

While I do agree with others on here who say that there are other concerns in regards to safety and that it's not all sunshine and roses, I do have to say that there were times just before I moved that I definitely DID feel unsafe in the US. I  moved over a year after the Aurora movie theatre shooting and 6 months after the Boston marathon bombing (having lived 15 minutes outside Boston). I know terrorist attacks can happen anywhere but the movie theatre shootings combined with the marathon bombing situation (where people I personally know were affected) and other mass shootings happening over the course of the years just before I moved here just had me anxious. I literally used to make sure I would know exactly where the exits were and how I would get to them in case of situation when going to the movies or concerts. While there is that same fear over here now to a degree, I don't think it's nearly as bad. I only really think about it when going to a gig in London or being in London in general. In the first year here, I remember saying to my husband that it was odd that I used to go into a movie theatre and look for an exit as I didn't really feel I had to do that anymore (I didn't have the same type of anxiety around it). Unexpected fireworks/loud bangs or noises over here don't freak my out the way they would back in the US. I quite literally live across from a mental hospital where there is an air raid siren that goes off every Monday as a drill to make sure the alarms work in case a patient gets out and I am less worried about that than I was over safety in regards to guns back in the US.

Again, it's not all perfect over here. There IS still crime. I don't worry about getting shot, but I do have to think about a break-in or people off their face being abusive or even knife attacks in London. My first night here I watched police try to get a drug addict banging on doors and screaming to just go home without having to arrest him. He literally had to kick the police car MULTIPLE times before they actually arrested him. Totally agree with the others that you will still need to be cautious here and there is crime BUT I will state that I do actually feel safer where I live currently than where I did live back in the US (I didn't live in a rough area, but just the overall reports of gun violence and the rising of opioid addictions in my town and the towns around me definitely made me feel less safe than I currently feel over here). All comes down to an individual's personal experiences on both sides of the pond though.

Do tell me, what was the NET EU immigration rate since the vote? take your time, but i can bet its nowhere near this almost a million you claim.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/ Though it only goes up until September 2018, this is what I managed to find fairly easily.Certianly not close to a million and it actually seems to state net migration is down. I mean, it's not impossible (just very unlikely) that from September to today, there's been a further 600k+ people permanently moving from the EU to the UK Would love to see the statistics and data to back it up though

The Financial Times from February also seems to share the opinion that immigration from inside the EU has fallen https://www.ft.com/content/960b4672-3b3e-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0 so definitely, again, would love to facts showing how it's increased as everything I'm finding seems to state the opposite, but perhaps I'm not googling correctly?

Tami - This is literally my favourite Scot Squad. I've never NOT laughed at this one. Don't know if you saw when I posted it on FB but you have to watch this one hahah
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links