Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?  (Read 1761 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Brexit and people still wanting to move to the UK?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:46 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46618532

Think this is one of the articles I saw ads well but didn't use the link as it only went up to June 2018 and I found the September 2018 which gave a slightly longer analysis. Both seem to pretty much state the same thing though (EU migration is down)

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-citizens-brexodus/ This also shows until June 2018 and pretty much states the same. Not seeing close to a million for net migration from EU anywhere (but then I don't know if because I'm not seeing up to March or April 2019? Though i suspect this is not the reason and the reason is because it's not true).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 768
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »
I think regardless of what happens or doesn't happen with Brexit, you'll never have a regret when the day comes that your FIL is no longer with you both, knowing that you had time with him and not from thousands of miles away over video chat (speaking from personal experience).

It's true that the US has it's own set of issues at the moment as well so it's hardly like the two countries are on completely different playing fields or something. All you can do is compare and contrast which option is better for you and more viable (financially, most importantly) and go with that.

Don't hold your breath waiting. My guess, again, is that there isn't an immigration story....which is fine. All are welcome on this forum. You'd just hope they'd be up front about it if they are the type to constantly question the motives of those on said immigration forum.

Thanks KF. I bust my balls in this country to make sure that I am not just building my own life here but also contributing back to the community where possible.

While I do agree with others on here who say that there are other concerns in regards to safety and that it's not all sunshine and roses, I do have to say that there were times just before I moved that I definitely DID feel unsafe in the US. I  moved over a year after the Aurora movie theatre shooting and 6 months after the Boston marathon bombing (having lived 15 minutes outside Boston). I know terrorist attacks can happen anywhere but the movie theatre shootings combined with the marathon bombing situation (where people I personally know were affected) and other mass shootings happening over the course of the years just before I moved here just had me anxious. I literally used to make sure I would know exactly where the exits were and how I would get to them in case of situation when going to the movies or concerts. While there is that same fear over here now to a degree, I don't think it's nearly as bad. I only really think about it when going to a gig in London or being in London in general. In the first year here, I remember saying to my husband that it was odd that I used to go into a movie theatre and look for an exit as I didn't really feel I had to do that anymore (I didn't have the same type of anxiety around it). Unexpected fireworks/loud bangs or noises over here don't freak my out the way they would back in the US. I quite literally live across from a mental hospital where there is an air raid siren that goes off every Monday as a drill to make sure the alarms work in case a patient gets out and I am less worried about that than I was over safety in regards to guns back in the US.

Again, it's not all perfect over here. There IS still crime. I don't worry about getting shot, but I do have to think about a break-in or people off their face being abusive or even knife attacks in London. My first night here I watched police try to get a drug addict banging on doors and screaming to just go home without having to arrest him. He literally had to kick the police car MULTIPLE times before they actually arrested him. Totally agree with the others that you will still need to be cautious here and there is crime BUT I will state that I do actually feel safer where I live currently than where I did live back in the US (I didn't live in a rough area, but just the overall reports of gun violence and the rising of opioid addictions in my town and the towns around me definitely made me feel less safe than I currently feel over here). All comes down to an individual's personal experiences on both sides of the pond though.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/ Though it only goes up until September 2018, this is what I managed to find fairly easily.Certianly not close to a million and it actually seems to state net migration is down. I mean, it's not impossible (just very unlikely) that from September to today, there's been a further 600k+ people permanently moving from the EU to the UK Would love to see the statistics and data to back it up though

The Financial Times from February also seems to share the opinion that immigration from inside the EU has fallen https://www.ft.com/content/960b4672-3b3e-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0 so definitely, again, would love to facts showing how it's increased as everything I'm finding seems to state the opposite, but perhaps I'm not googling correctly?

Tami - This is literally my favourite Scot Squad. I've never NOT laughed at this one. Don't know if you saw when I posted it on FB but you have to watch this one hahah
I didn't get to see last season. But this is hilarious. I absolutely love Darren Connel as Bobby.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
I didn't get to see last season. But this is hilarious. I absolutely love Darren Connel as Bobby.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Genuinely can’t not laugh out loud when I watch it. Showed somebody at work as she was talking about 2 different people she knows named Vicky and she was calling them the Vickies and I went “I’m really sorry, but this is all I can think about when you’re talking about the Vickie’s”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »
Crime. I spent a lot of time in low-rent neighborhoods in the States, where you are sure to have a broom-handle in the sliding door and a nail in the window-frame to keep either from being opened too far. And a Louisville Slugger by the side of the bed, for those years when I didn't have a .45 easily available due to the Daughter being too young to risk having her find it.

We live a street away from a main road here. There are blue lights zooming down it many times a day (and night). On the good side, we don't have helicopters overhead several times a week, late at night, with the floodlights on. Now and then, yes, but not more than a few times a year.  I don't miss being awoken by the blaring of the ghettobird's loud speaker telling me the description of who they want, and to be sure the doors and windows are locked. And to dial 911 if I have any information....

Knife crime? I can outrun a guy with a knife, given at least a little warning. They don't tend to chase you down, really. Unless they are nut jobs, and then there's not a lot you can do but try to disable them before they can hurt you too badly.  Ok, realistically,  I'm getting old, and am not as fast as I was, and cannot throw a punch hard enough to break a nose or kick hard enough to break a kneecap very well anymore, I'd assume. (No, don't ask.) So I just tend to be very cautious as to where I go, and who's around. Scanning one's surroundings is a good habit to be in. Like knowing where the exits are when you go into a public place.

That being said, I do still feel safer here as I absolutely cannot outrun a bullet.  ;)   They don't seem to have a lot (or any) of this here.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2019

I no longer jump and look for cover when a firecracker goes off or a car backfires.  It's much nicer, this way.  ;D

• Lover of Target and M&S
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 12:55:37 AM »
Sometimes you have to go with your gut and heart. My parents think we’re crazy, but after 15 years of us both being in the US, me having cancer, and missing our oldest son and granddaughter... Brexit doesn’t scare us. He came to the US when the patriot act came out and it took a year. He never truly liked it.
I’m happier in the UK. I have more friends (my own) in the Uk.
Now, the application has to get approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 9 March, 2019  Philadelphia,US
Biometrics: 14 March 2019, Philadelphia
Application Mailed: 14 March 2019
Application Received in NY: 15 March 2019
Application Received in Sheffield: 19 March 2019
Decision email received: 16 April 2019
Passport received: 17 April 2019

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
Sometimes you have to go with your gut and heart. My parents think we’re crazy, but after 15 years of us both being in the US, me having cancer, and missing our oldest son and granddaughter... Brexit doesn’t scare us. He came to the US when the patriot act came out and it took a year. He never truly liked it.
I’m happier in the UK. I have more friends (my own) in the Uk.
Now, the application has to get approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SO much this. Hubby came over here 11 years ago. He has never been happy here, but I had my boys to get through school. Now that we are empty nesters, and both my parents have passed, we both feel it is time to return to the UK. Does Brexit worry us? Of course, but even without it, it is a big change and there will always be concerns. We have good jobs here, but we are quite unhappy with the life we have. This country's environment doesn't really suit us. Plus we want to be there to assist his mum. So we are taking the plunge and will hope and work for the best life we can have.
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
I would love nothing more than to move back to the US, solely so that I could live near my family. I come from a very safe town in the US and moved to a safe place in the UK. I have never seen or been threatened with a weapon anywhere in the US (that happened in Italy). I have different worries in the US but past experience suggests that I will probably be fine. There are much bigger issues that we will face if we move back. My husband has a really nice, cushy job here in the UK which doesn't really translate to the US unless we moved to the city, and I don't see the point of moving back if we're still eight hours away. We also get great vacation allowance. I get 28 statutory days with the option of buying up to 5 more, I have plenty of sick leave, and a banging pension. I don't make a ton, but I make enough to afford my student loan payments and trips to the US 2-3 times per year. Plus, I don't have to worry about healthcare. I am very lucky, I know, but I just don't know how we're going to be able to top what we have here at the moment. So, Brexit or not, we are in the best place for us right now.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »
Regarding crime, I've now officially experienced the same amount in the US and in the UK.  In my life, I have had a car egged while parked in front of a friend's house near Seattle, and now I have had a vehicle egged in front of my own house in southwest Wales.  One egg, clearly lobbed for sport as a car drove past.

I've not really felt particularly unsafe in either country, and I primarily spent my last few years in the US traveling cross-country solo by car (with a few long-ish stays in some places, like LA and Seattle).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
One egg, clearly lobbed for sport

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was of a sporting nature?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »

Right?  She's in the country.  Someone could have picked up a hen at a bad time.  hee hee hee

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »

The tosser* managed to land it squarely in the middle of the fuel cap cover, and that can't have been an accident.  This took some sportsing prowess.

* See what I did there?

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
The tosser* managed to land it squarely in the middle of the fuel cap cover, and that can't have been an accident.  This took some sportsing prowess.

* See what I did there?

Or blind luck! Which would almost be more impressive! hah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »
Or blind luck! Which would almost be more impressive! hah

I really hope there isn't a blind driver in my region!  ;)

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
I really hope there isn't a blind driver in my region!  ;)

All the more reason to stay inside and in your PJs :p
My, how time flies....

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
All the more reason to stay inside and in your PJs :p

Don't have to tell me twice!  Go, team PJs!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab