Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...  (Read 6057 times)

• Liked: 1327
EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Daniel Muijs, Ofsted's head of research, has complained on Twitter that his application was refused.  Meanwhile, Home Office say he wasn't turned down... they just need more information.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853438
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Daniel Muijs, Ofsted's head of research, has complained on Twitter that his application was refused.  Meanwhile, Home Office say he wasn't turned down... they just need more information.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853438

Looks like he thought he was too special to have to provide the correct evidence. I think it's good that he is being held to the same standards as everyone else.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Looks like he thought he was too special to have to provide the correct evidence. I think it's good that he is being held to the same standards as everyone else.

How's that?  There's nothing in the article to indicate he didn't supply everything that was asked.  Do you have more information than was in the article?   What makes you think he was trying to be "special"?  The app doesn't have any option for that, you give it the information it needs or you can't submit the application. 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
Yeah, basically the article is saying that the HO needs more info but hasn't communicated what it needs to the applicant, a person who has been living and working in the country for many years. Doesn't sound like he's circumventing anything just bringing to light that it's not as straightforward as some are saying it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
How's that?  There's nothing in the article to indicate he didn't supply everything that was asked.  Do you have more information than was in the article?   What makes you think he was trying to be "special"?  The app doesn't have any option for that, you give it the information it needs or you can't submit the application.

His Tweet.  Presumably if he had provided evidence of residence initially, he wouldn't have been asked for it now.

.Have just found out my application for settled status in UK has been rejected. I now need to find evidence of residence since 2013. Not a good feeling.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:30:42 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 248
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
Don't be picking at my Larrabee.   ;)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
When I registered it asked me for more information - it said it was unable to find enough to support my claim of living here. The online system gave several examples of documents that would suffice, and I was able to choose which ones I wanted to use.

Apparently, when I registered (during the test phase) the system was still not able to access HMRC records to check for tax status/activity or whatever agency it is that handles the govmt. pension contributions here. So I had to upload scans of my council tax bills, which I did. Took me about 5 minutes to scan them on my scanner and then do the upload. So now they have proof for 2017, 2018, and 2019 for me. I would imagine that when I file for "settled" (and not pre-settled) I'll have to upload them again.

If he's been working here for years, perhaps they still can't access those databases? They do seem to have some problems with the implementation of this, now that it's gone "live".
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:17:02 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »
Don't be picking at my Larrabee.   ;)

Never! 
I just thought there was some part of the story where he was a jerk that I missed.

EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »
His Tweet.  Presumably if he had provided evidence of residence initially, he wouldn't have been asked for it now.

I'm pretty sure that you just supply your NI number and the government works out how long you have lived here.  You'd think they could do that easily considering the amount of times I confirm all my details over and over again to various government agencies.

I'm still confused how he asked to be treated special and wasn't.  He just provided what the app asked for.  You can't do otherwise.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you just supply your NI number and the government works out how long you have lived here.  You'd think they could do that easily considering the amount of times I confirm all my details over and over again to various government agencies.

I'm still confused how he asked to be treated special and wasn't.  He just provided what the app asked for.  You can't do otherwise.

I shouldn't have commented because I don't know enough about the process to apply for settled status.

I'm coming from a position of having, for the last 5 years, to repeatedly provide tomes of meticulously prepared evidence of every aspect of our lives, (finances, relationship, accommodation) under UK rules, and pay thousands of pounds for the privilege. So it just grated to see someone of importance complaining because they have to provide 5 years worth of evidence of living in the UK, that's such an easy thing to do. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:39:28 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
I'm coming from a position of having, for the last 5 years, to repeatedly provide tomes of meticulously prepared evidence of every aspect of our lives, (finances, relationship, accommodation) under UK rules, and pay thousands of pounds for the privilege. So it just grated to see someone of importance complaining because they have to provide 5 years worth of evidence of living in the UK, that's such an easy thing to do.

Well, when you put it like that...

YEAH!!

But for reals.  What if he was a non-dom this whole time, so wasn't actually paying taxes?  Now he wants to retroactively be a dom for purposes of settlement?  Just thinking out loud here.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
I also think the EU folks settled here in general don't realise the hoops the rest of us have jumped through or the expense. They probably haven't saved 5 years of mail etc... So unless the expectations are set prior to applying it genuinely is a headache. I have a feeling a lot of people will be caught out and this guy was just the first one well known enough to catch media attention. We all know what a stressful situation visas are, they have been lucky up to now relying only on their EU passport.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
I also think the EU folks settled here in general don't realise the hoops the rest of us have jumped through or the expense. They probably haven't saved 5 years of mail etc... So unless the expectations are set prior to applying it genuinely is a headache. I have a feeling a lot of people will be caught out and this guy was just the first one well known enough to catch media attention. We all know what a stressful situation visas are, they have been lucky up to now relying only on their EU passport.

But they won't have to provide 5 years of mail in the same way we do (all original, spaced 4 months apart, in both names or double the amount and sent to you though the post at the time it was created) All they need to do is call the council and have them send the last 5 council tax bills or sign into their HMRC account and print out the details.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
But they won't have to provide 5 years of mail in the same way we do (all original, spaced 4 months apart, in both names or double the amount and sent to you though the post at the time it was created) All they need to do is call the council and have them send the last 5 council tax bills or sign into their HMRC account and print out the details.

It's my understanding that the system is supposed to be able to access the HMRC database.... or the work and pensions one. Or maybe both. Apparently, that's not the case at present. But I do seem to remember reading that it would do. If they don't have council tax bills or bank statements (or similar) that cover years at a time, they will have to provide one piece of mail for every month in the five year period. I'd assume everyone would have a council tax bill in their name? (I'm not sure - the Daughter is on mine, which is the only proof of continuous residence she has for the first full year. But other people might not be on the CT if they are living with relatives or something?)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-settlement-scheme-evidence-of-uk-residence

Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply. If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status. You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records. If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if you have been here for 5 years in a row but there is not enough data to confirm this.

Submitting documents as evidence of residence

You will not need to provide evidence for your entire UK residence – just enough to show whether you qualify for settled or pre-settled status. You should only need to provide 1 document dated in the last 6 months to be granted pre-settled status. All the documents you submit as evidence must be dated and have your name on them. You should only provide 1 piece of evidence to cover each month or longer period of time. You can upload a maximum of 10 documents to show evidence of UK residence. Each document must be no more than 6MB in size. We’ll contact you if we need further information. Use documents that cover longer periods of time if you can, such as annual bank statements, council tax bills or university letters and certificates. This means you will not need to submit as many documents. A document with a single date on will count as proof of residence for that month only,  for example a monthly electricity bill, an official letter or a GP appointment card. The lists of evidence below are not exhaustive. We may consider other forms of evidence on a case-by-case basis.

The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need to provide any documents. You’ll be able to submit photos or scans of your documents through the online application form.

Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re asked to provide more evidence.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:00:07 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »

Yep, and it's like the system the EU has always used for their PR in another EEA country, except those applicants are required under EU law, to prove that they have 5 continual years of being a "quallified person" for PR, which is really easy to do if they follow the step by step easy guidelines.  This pre-settlemt/settlement system is even easier than that, just proof of being in the UK required.  He doesn't have to prove all those 20 years; he isn't under UK immigration rules; just 5 will do for settlement.

;D "We would encourage the applicant to make contact with the Settlement Resolution Centre, who will be able to assist him with his application," said a Home Office spokesman."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:00:45 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab