Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...  (Read 6055 times)

• Liked: 342
Re: EU "Settled Status" applications must be tricky...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
But they won't have to provide 5 years of mail in the same way we do (all original, spaced 4 months apart, in both names or double the amount and sent to you though the post at the time it was created)

Nor the way the skilled workers have to for settlement, where their families must now show they haven't been absent from the UK for more than 180 days in any rolling 12 months.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:14:49 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
I shouldn't have commented because I don't know enough about the process to apply for settled status.

"EU citizens will have to answer three "simple" questions online if they want to continue living in the UK after Brexit, the home secretary has said."
"People will be asked to prove their ID, whether they have criminal convictions and whether they live in the UK.

Their answers will be checked against government databases and a decision given "very quickly", said Mr Javid."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44553225

A simplified version of the EU regs and UK immigration laws.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:05:35 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
Nah Larrabee, I'm Glad you commented because it's nice to talk. That's why we are here.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
This pre-settlemt/settlement system is even easier than that, just proof of being in the UK required.

Wow, that really does sound easy, maybe I should try it.....

In fact it's not easy, as they require a BRP , which was never a requirement to have. And you get that by applying for settled status which will become invalid in three days and requires filling in an 80 page form that requires you to list every entry and exit for the last 20 years.  Other than that, it's easy.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »

In fact it's not easy, as they require a BRP , which was never a requirement to have. And you get that by applying for settled status which will become invalid in three days and requires filling in an 80 page form that requires you to list every entry and exit for the last 20 years.  Other than that, it's easy.

I know that a lot of us are quite envious of those on the EU path is it was easier to qualify (no financial requirements) and not the astronomical application fees.

That being said, it's just a circus.  For those of you who have been here for decades, or even "just" 5 years like Bertine - you guys never could have anticipated Brexit.  It's not like you moved to the UK using the EU path, knowing that everything was down to a single bad referendum that NO ONE thought would pass.  I totally get why the guy didn't provide proof - he was told he didn't need to as the system would "speak" to HMRC.  It genuinely isn't his fault - at least not as far as the article reads (and we know these aren't always right).  The good news for him, is the moment he sent that tweet, I'm sure the HO backpedalled so fast it would make Usain Bolt seem slow. 

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »
I totally get why the guy didn't provide proof - he was told he didn't need to as the system would "speak" to HMRC.

The UK said there would be a 10- year ban for those who use deception on their application. If UKVI filled in their application and looked for all their proof,  then why would they state there would be a 10 year ban? As under UK laws, the applicant completes the application honestly and provides the proof and then as UKVI always do, they check to see if that information is correct.

EU law has always required that they provide proof. Proof for their EU FP, proof for their EU RC, and then proof for the PR. Then proof for British citizenship. Millions of people have managed this OK. Unlike UK immigration rules, the EU regs are very easy to understand.

For those of you who have been here for decades, or even "just" 5 years like Bertine - you guys never could have anticipated Brexit

EU law was never was a case of just going to live in another country and I have no idea why some of those using the EU routes ever thought that as they had strict rules to follow. its not just living in another EEA country. The reason many have been unable to get PR in the UK is because they were not continuously lawful in the UK during their 5 years and they have reset their 5 years of PR clock to zero.

It's why some are asking if this settlement offer will end if the UK stays in the EU, because they would not get settlement if they tried under EU rules. From what I can remember of what Bertine has said before, she will gain from this arrangement as her EEA sponsor was not an EU qualified person continuously for 5 years and would have ended his (and hers) PR clock, and then set it to zero again when he resumed being an EEA qualified person. 

It genuinely isn't his fault - at least not as far as the article reads (and we know these aren't always right).  T

It's entirely his fault and worryingly for somebody who has been using EU rules to be in another EEA country, he doesn't seem to understand why!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:40:09 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »

In fact it's not easy, as they require a BRP , which was never a requirement to have.

You needed the EU's RC or their PRC to enter the UK and to show work that you had a legal right to work in the UK.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »
There has been an update, and the good professor has now been accepted.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47881897
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
There has been an update, and the good professor has now been accepted.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47881897

"I am happy to report that my application for settled status has now been accepted, following submission of additional evidence. "

• Liked: 676
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
So what it all comes down to on the OP topic, is that apparently the system is still not able to check to find they guy's records. It didn't work when the Daughter applied and didn't work when I applied. So apparently it's still not working. This is surprising why?  ::)

You do the ID check and it sends you a unique number (to your phone). You log in to their web page and use that number to enter your particulars. It then goes away and chugs for a while, and then sends you a message that you either have a status or that you need to provide more information. Apparently the OP's guy got the "you need more info" message and tweeted that he was "rejected" - which he was not.

Perhaps down to a bad choice of words on his part.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »
You needed the EU's RC or their PRC to enter the UK and to show work that you had a legal right to work in the UK.

Or an EU passport.

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Or an EU passport.

Which Jimbocz doesn't have because he is a US citizen.

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »
Which Jimbocz doesn't have because he is a US citizen.

Ah.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
So what it all comes down to on the OP topic, is that apparently the system is still not able to check to find they guy's records. It didn't work when the Daughter applied and didn't work when I applied. So apparently it's still not working. This is surprising why?  ::)

Most are reporting that it works for them and they hear back quickly . Non-EU citizens seem to the ones that are having more problems and some of those will need to use the paper form anyway.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
Apparently the OP's guy got the "you need more info" message and tweeted that he was "rejected" - which he was not.

Perhaps down to a bad choice of words on his part.

Or him not understanding? He has thanked the Home Office for helping him and said he has now given the evidence.

Sponsored Links