Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visas and Dismissed Charges  (Read 819 times)

• Liked: 1
Visas and Dismissed Charges
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »
Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked, so I think I already know the answer, but I am looking for some reassurance from others who have been through similar things.

I will (hopefully!) be moving to the UK for work (company sponsoring a Tier 2 visa; also note that I do not work in health/social/education because that seems to be a bit stricter).  Filling out the visa information, I have tried to be very careful not to make any mistakes.  One question is causing me a lot of anxiety though:  "Have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including offenses involving alcohol intoxication?"

In 2011 (so 8 years ago), I was cited (I think cited is the right legal jargon) for a minor in possession (alcohol).  I went to a pre-trial court  appearance (think that is the right terminology) and it was "dismissed by party" (as far as I can tell this just means it was dismissed; there were no additional strings attached like service or classes).  I *think* this counts as a charge, though I don't think it counts as a conviction.  At the same time, I did receive a civil infraction for having alcohol in public.  In the US, I would not consider this a charge or conviction (as it is not considered a misdemeanor or felony), but given the wording of the above question I would call this both a charge and a conviction.  At the time I was told the civil infraction was "like a traffic ticket". 

From what I have read, I should definitely disclose this and consult the people working with me on my visa.  I was looking for reassurance on how this might impact my visa application, and if anyone else had gone through anything similar.

Thank you for helping me a bit with my anxiety.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Visas and Dismissed Charges
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).

Definitely disclose it, and include any paperwork you have from it. I would also include a copy of your police/criminal record as well (i.e. to show there’s nothing on it).

It will not affect your visa application, because they can only refuse the visa based on criminality if:
1) it was an actual criminal conviction (resulting in a criminal record)
And
2) it happened in the last 12 months before applying for the visa

As it happened 8 years ago and does not appear to be a criminal conviction, then it should not be an issue - you’re just disclosing it to be honest and to show you’re not hiding anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked, so I think I already know the answer, but I am looking for some reassurance from others who have been through similar things.

I will (hopefully!) be moving to the UK for work (company sponsoring a Tier 2 visa; also note that I do not work in health/social/education because that seems to be a bit stricter).  Filling out the visa information, I have tried to be very careful not to make any mistakes.  One question is causing me a lot of anxiety though:  "Have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including offenses involving alcohol intoxication?"

In 2011 (so 8 years ago), I was cited (I think cited is the right legal jargon) for a minor in possession (alcohol).  I went to a pre-trial court  appearance (think that is the right terminology) and it was "dismissed by party" (as far as I can tell this just means it was dismissed; there were no additional strings attached like service or classes).  I *think* this counts as a charge, though I don't think it counts as a conviction.  At the same time, I did receive a civil infraction for having alcohol in public.  In the US, I would not consider this a charge or conviction (as it is not considered a misdemeanor or felony), but given the wording of the above question I would call this both a charge and a conviction.  At the time I was told the civil infraction was "like a traffic ticket". 

From what I have read, I should definitely disclose this and consult the people working with me on my visa.  I was looking for reassurance on how this might impact my visa application, and if anyone else had gone through anything similar.

Thank you for helping me a bit with my anxiety.

I had exactly the same charge in my past, and it was also dismissed when I made my court appearance.  I disclosed it because the application asked if I'd been charged, and that's a definite yes.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
Thank you so much to ksand24 and jfkimberly for your help!

I wanted to reply and let you know my visa (tier 2 work visa) was accepted! 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
Congratulations!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Congratulations!   :D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
Thank you so much to ksand24 and jfkimberly for your help!

I wanted to reply and let you know my visa (tier 2 work visa) was accepted!

Yay!  Congratulations!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab