Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK spouse living in US - can we apply for UK visa?  (Read 230 times)

• Liked: 0
UK spouse living in US - can we apply for UK visa?
« on: April 16, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
Hello!

I haven't posted much because I'm stilling trying to sift through all the legal loopholes. So confusing between US and the UK!

Currently my husband lives in the US with me (we have his green card) but we would like to move our whole family to the UK. I'm in the process of gathering documents for the kids' UK passports, and once we have their documentation we plan to prep my visa package.

Everything I'm reading says my spouse needs to be settled in the UK to apply for a spouse visa for me. Is this true? Can he not apply to have me move with him or does he really have to be in the UK :(.

Thank you so much.

• Liked: 1327
Re: UK spouse living in US - can we apply for UK visa?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »
If your partner can arrange to have a job waiting for him (starting within 3 months of the move) in the UK making £18,600pa (more if any children are not UKC and will also need a visa) and he has made at least £18,600 in the last 12 months in the US, then you can apply on the basis of his income and pending UK employment.

Another option is relying on savings you and/or your partner have held for at least six months.  The minimum savings would need to be £62,500 (which, coincidentally is 2.5 x 18,600 + 16000).  You would need to have had at least that much in your accounts for a full six months before you apply... if your balance dropped below it for even one day, or if you're even one day short of six months, your visa would be refused.  If you have owned a home in the US for at least six months and you sell it, and the proceeds of the sale give you at least £62,500, that can count as having the savings for six months.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: UK spouse living in US - can we apply for UK visa?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »
Hello!

I haven't posted much because I'm stilling trying to sift through all the legal loopholes. So confusing between US and the UK!

Currently my husband lives in the US with me (we have his green card) but we would like to move our whole family to the UK. I'm in the process of gathering documents for the kids' UK passports, and once we have their documentation we plan to prep my visa package.

Everything I'm reading says my spouse needs to be settled in the UK to apply for a spouse visa for me. Is this true? Can he not apply to have me move with him or does he really have to be in the UK :(.

Thank you so much.

No, he doesn't. It's just the way they word it. If you use one of the methods jfkimberly has described, to meet the financial requirements,  then you can move back together.  :)

Sponsored Links