Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Being denied National Insurance Number. Please advise.  (Read 7857 times)

• Liked: 2
Being denied National Insurance Number. Please advise.
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
Naturalized British Citizen here feeling discriminated against and being treated as a second class citizen being refused a NINO because I was not born in this country.

Want to know if there is any legal recourse available to me.

Any help with this matter?
2009 met in EQ
2010 fell in love in LotRO while Skyping
2011 brought me to UK for 6 months
2012 fiance visa
2014 ILR

• Liked: 6110
Re: Being denied National Insurance Number. Please advise.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Naturalized British Citizen here feeling discriminated against and being treated as a second class citizen being refused a NINO because I was not born in this country.

Want to know if there is any legal recourse available to me.

Any help with this matter?

You don't need to be a British citizen or to to be born in the UK in order to get a National Insurance number. What reason did you give for needing one?

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:17:50 AM »
*deep breath*
As a citizen of this country am I not entitled to one?
Apparently not. Apparently only natural born citizens are.
I need my drivers license. To easily apply online for one, you have to have a NINO.
Due to the fact that I am a 'mere' homemaker and not on benefits, I have been refused.
So, to apply for a license I've got to get to the post office and spend more money to send sensitive documents via post.
If anyone knows of any LEGAL recourse in this matter, please advise.
As far as I am concerned this is blatant discrimination bordering on harassment.
2009 met in EQ
2012 fiance visa
2014 ILR

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
*deep breath*
As a citizen of this country am I not entitled to one?
Apparently not. Apparently only natural born citizens are.
I need my drivers license. To easily apply online for one, you have to have a NINO.
Due to the fact that I am a 'mere' homemaker and not on benefits, I have been refused.
So, to apply for a license I've got to get to the post office and spend more money to send sensitive documents via post.
If anyone knows of any LEGAL recourse in this matter, please advise.
As far as I am concerned this is blatant discrimination bordering on harassment.

Best idea is to reapply with what they consider to be a valid reason for having one. Such as job seeking or in order to apply for an ISA or complete a self assessment tax return, for example. My husband was not a UKC when he got his, we cited the latter two examples I just gave.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:29:41 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
What reason did they give you for refusing your application?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
Frustrated beyond belief...
Obviously I've not made myself clear, and am frankly surprised that others have not been offended by this.
My situation is now such that getting to the office again and being forced to lie to these people to get something that should have been given to begin with is a struggle.
Was really hoping someone here could point me in the direction of legal recourse, but have managed to find the parliamentary complaint forms so will file with the MPs.
Fed. Right.The. ^%$£. Up. With this process.
2009 met in EQ
2012 fiance visa
2014 ILR

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »
Frustrated beyond belief...
Obviously I've not made myself clear, and am frankly surprised that others have not been offended by this.
My situation is now such that getting to the office again and being forced to lie to these people to get something that should have been given to begin with is a struggle.
Was really hoping someone here could point me in the direction of legal recourse, but have managed to find the parliamentary complaint forms so will file with the MPs.
Fed. Right.The. ^%$£. Up. With this process.

Obviously you're frustrated. I was just pointing out the path of least resistance.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
Not going to lie - we tend to offer solutions and not legal recourse.

Yes, we've had plenty of people not be issued at NINO at first request.  But it's British bureaucracy at work.  I'm just surprised this is the first time you've come across it! 

Personally I wouldn't spend my hard earned money pursuing a lawsuit.  But each to their own.

Hugs!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Not going to lie - we tend to offer solutions and not legal recourse.

Yes, we've had plenty of people not be issued at NINO at first request.  But it's British bureaucracy at work.  I'm just surprised this is the first time you've come across it! 

Personally I wouldn't spend my hard earned money pursuing a lawsuit.  But each to their own.

Hugs!
Yep. It's just like applying for anything else here. You roll your eyes and accept that they require you to go above and beyond and you comply.

I had to take a train and a bus over an hour away to attend my in person required interview to get my Nino.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Here is a link to how to complain to the Department of Work and Pensions if you're unhappy
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
From your link PB... Oh, the irony!

How to complain
If you’d like to complain any aspect of the service you’ve received, let the office you have been dealing with know as soon as possible. We’ll do our best to put things right.

You can contact us by phone, in person or in writing. When you contact us, please tell us:

your National Insurance number – unless you are an employer
your full name, address and contact numbers
which benefit you are complaining about
what happened, when it happened and how it affected you
what you want to happen to put things right

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
From your link PB... Oh, the irony!

So British.

Well maybe Citizen's Advice can offer advice.

Or basically, just give them what they need so they give out the NIN. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
I was on this merry-go-round over 1 year ago, residing in N Ireland I phoned the number I was given to start process, after a series of questions I was told I did not need an NIS,  well then I could not file my Self Assessment, so a week latter I phoned number again, went through series of questions and told the same thing,  ??? then I sent an email, explaining my situation (Spouse Visa), had to pay taxes, etc. and got a letter (wish I could post letter but I am in states now and ltr is in NIreland) bottom line, no NIS. After some time passed I called  NIS number again, prepared to record conversation,  this time I talked to someone who knew what he was doing, he gave me number to NIS in  Magherafelt NI, I made an appointment and got my number,  this story probably did not help you but morale of story is you need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:01:46 PM by Cmoh »

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »
I was on this merry-go-round over 1 year ago, residing in N Ireland I phoned the number I was given to start process, after a series of questions I was told I did not need an NIS,  well then I could not file my Self Assessment, so a week latter I phoned number again, went through series of questions and told the same thing,  ??? then I sent an email, explaining my situation (Spouse Visa), had to pay taxes, etc. and got a letter (wish I could post letter but I am in states now and ltr is in NIreland) bottom line, no NIS. After some time passed I called  NIS number again, prepared to record conversation,  this time I talked to someone who knew what he was doing, he gave me number to NIS in  Magherafelt NI, I made an appointment and got my number,  this story probably did not help you but morale of story is you need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Good for you!  :) It's important to stand your ground, especially with bureaucrats who know less about the process than you do!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
When our son arrived here in 2017 it was a number of weeks before he got his NINO and by then he had opened a bank account, got a British learner driving licence, registered to vote, registered with the NHS and started looking for jobs on the internet.  I think that saying one wants a NINO in order to work and start paying NI contributions is all that is needed. I was with our son at his interview and he didn't have to prove that he was looking for a job or when he wanted to start work.  I needed to be there to confirm we had never applied for benefits for him which is why he didn't have a NINO despite living with us as our child for 5 years in the UK.

I don't think it is lying to say that one wants to work and start earning credits towards a State pension, after all, unlike in the USA, a spouse will get zero State pension based on their partner's work record. I would certainly do that rather than seek legal advice particularly since the DWP may well be on the right side of the law and just being an a$$.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab