Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rental car insurance  (Read 818 times)

• Liked: 6
Rental car insurance
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
Visiting next week thinking of renting a car but don't want to risk not having insurance but the rental place rate is expensive $30 a day just for damage and then more to add like injury coverage...is there some sort of rental/liability insurance one can get temporarily? I wonder if my parents can add me back to their insurance just for two weeks 🤔
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 1893
Re: Rental car insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »

Are you visiting the US or UK? 

Getting you added to the insurance is a good idea if you are going to the US.  Not sure it works if you are coming here. 

You may want to consider excess insurance, which can be bought cheaply online and protects you against the rental company trying to rip you off for damages. 

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
Are you visiting the US or UK? 

Getting you added to the insurance is a good idea if you are going to the US.  Not sure it works if you are coming here. 

You may want to consider excess insurance, which can be bought cheaply online and protects you against the rental company trying to rip you off for damages.

Haha yeah sorry, traveling back to US.  I have to check credit card, I know sometimes they have some car rental protection.  We have travel insurance too with direct line but have to look at it to see, I looked recently but was looking at medical coverage sections. 

I am kind of wondering how easy it's for my parents to add me back to their policy for maybe a month and I can reimburse them the difference. 

I might want to stop by at work while I am there and though it's walking distance it can be inconvenient to ask for a ride or walk if the weather is hot or rainy....so would like the ability to drive, my sister is great about chauffeuring me places but also don't want to be a burden all the time.
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
I think that if you book through a UK website, it includes insurance (for cars booked in the USA).  Check and see. 

• Liked: 722
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »
I think that if you book through a UK website, it includes insurance (for cars booked in the USA).  Check and see.

That is how it was for me when I went to the USA for 2 weeks in 2017.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »
That's my experience as well.  Insurance is always included in the price when renting from the UK.  They don't bother to upsell you.

Child seats are NOT included and can be a giant rip off.  You can just buy one from wal mart if the trip is long.  Sometimes the rental agency won't let you leave with the kid if there is no car seat. 

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
 :o I will have to look into this, I assumed it would be the same in UK with adding insurance separate and I figured I would save on rental if it was US dollars....hmm though I assume I need UK license.
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 680
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
We recently used Europcar and got a Toyota Camry for 8 days in LA for $212, and it included all the insurances with zero deductable. The only thing it didn't have was roadside assistance cover - like what you get for $50 a year from AAA (which I bought - you can cancel it and get a pro-rata refund).  The advantage I had was a UK driving license and an EU passport. Be sure to read the fine print - some rental companies won't give the overseas discounts to Americans in America, I hear.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:40:08 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab