Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying a house in the UK on a spouse visa?  (Read 3597 times)

• Liked: 6
Buying a house in the UK on a spouse visa?
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »
Am I allowed to buy a house in the UK on a spouse visa? I have been here for about two weeks and we'd like to buy a house maybe 6 months to a year from now.  If I have a good down deposit and can get my credit up will that be ok? My partner is British and I'm obviously not but together could we get a mortgage? I'd rather not wait 5 years to be a citizen to buy a house....
~Priority Settlement Spouse Visa~
Priority: Yes
Online application submitted: 17 Feb 2019
Biometrics & docs mailed: 21 Feb 2019
Documents received in NY: 22 Feb 2019
Documents received by Sheffield on: 25 Feb 2019
Decision Made Email: 18 March 2019
APPROVED!!: 20 March 2019
Arrived in the U.K.: 03 April 2019

• Liked: 6110
Re: Buying a house in the UK on a spouse visa?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
Am I allowed to buy a house in the UK on a spouse visa? I have been here for about two weeks and we'd like to buy a house maybe 6 months to a year from now.  If I have a good down deposit and can get my credit up will that be ok? My partner is British and I'm obviously not but together could we get a mortgage? I'd rather not wait 5 years to be a citizen to buy a house....

You don't need to be a citizen, or even have a spouse visa for that matter, to buy a house here. It all depends on your ability to pay.

You should also look into the tax implications of owning UK property, as a USC.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »
You will likely need a large deposit, at least a full year left on your current visa, and will pay a higher interest rate.  But many of us have done it. 

The other qualification bits will be like anyone else (stable employment,credit score, other debts, etc.).

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
As others have stated, you don’t need to become a UKC to but a house but you do need to have the capital and mortgage companies will be hesitant to loan you money (at least for a lower interest rate). You’ll find you have a lot less choice in who lends to you (for example). We used a financial advisor who had relationships with different mortgage companies so he could phone them up and explain the situation, which helped, but if you try to secure a mortgage without the help of one it might be more difficult (I can’t say). 6 months (in terms of building credit) might be a bit unrealistic because you won’t be able to get a credit card right away and I found getting a credit card helped build my credit score quite quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 13
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
Allowed, yes, in that there's no law against it. However it's quite difficult! Summon up all your stick-to-it and you can get it done.

Three things that helped me were:
(1) Working with a mortgage broker. You don't need a bespoke one, mine was just the one attached to the estate agent that was selling my flat. They can fight in your corner. (And if they don't, you should get another one.)
(2) I had about two years of employment history built up. Not self-employment. Although that can work too, if you have at least two years of steady income to show in your tax returns.
(3) I found a good solicitor. DON'T use the one attached to the estate agent. Definitely don't use the "online only" solicitors, as one of them below us in the chain nearly ruined the whole chain of purchases! Get a local recommendation from someone who's recently purchased a house, if possible. And don't go with the cheapest quotation either, as you get what you pay for!

Good luck... it's worth it!

Sponsored Links