Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: POLL - how do you feel about Brexit?  (Read 4624 times)

• Liked: 2
POLL - how do you feel about Brexit?
« on: April 21, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
 ???

Just wondered how many of you expats felt about the Brexit vote. were you OK with it? angered by it? or did you actually vote to leave? And if so, why?

You may have guessed that I voted to remain. Why on earth would I vote to leave? As an immigrant? And you know, a lot of young people too young to vote at the time were also upset by the vote, because it's denied them the right to live and work in 28 countries. Shameful. And I've heard left leaning British people quietly say that this vote was a knee jerk reaction, inherently racist and motivated by pure racism.

Since the Brexit vote, there has been a dramatic increase in hate crimes, racially fuelled of course. Some of them low level (eg targeting your neighbours with anti social behaviour because they are foreign), others higher level such as assaults on those who are foreign. There is also a sense that people think it's OK to say racist things out loud in public, as if everyone agrees. When I hear this, is makes my blood boil. I think "what makes you think I would be complicit in your ignorant, racist attitude?"

I still cannot quite believe that this was even put to referendum. But it was, and here we are.  Imagine if Californians were given the vote to vote out all Mexicans. really? And all it's been for over two years is Brexit this, Brexit that. I think that word is the word I have come to hate the most of all words lol.  Well no, I tell a lie. I hate the word "brexiteer" more. Bit like a mouseketeer but instead of micky mouse ears, an ugly, giant swastika x

• Liked: 1260
Re: POLL - how do you feel about Brexit?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »

Since the Brexit vote, there has been a dramatic increase in hate crimes, racially fuelled of course. Some of them low level (eg targeting your neighbours with anti social behaviour because they are foreign), others higher level such as assaults on those who are foreign. There is also a sense that people think it's OK to say racist things out loud in public, as if everyone agrees. When I hear this, is makes my blood boil. I think "what makes you think I would be complicit in your ignorant, racist attitude?"

In be process of naturalising so can’t vote yet, but I would’ve voted to remain.

Out of sheer curiosity, could you share a link to the statistics RE increase in racially fuelled crimes since Brexit. Yes, people have reported that they feel more tensions in regards to being an immigrant since the Brexit vote, but I’ve not seen anything in regards to an increase in hate crimes on immigrants linked to Brexit so would be interested in seeing the supporting facts and figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
In the process * (sorry on my phone and autocorrect is not my friend lol - I’m sure there are other typos but I’ll fix them later)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:23:20 PM »
The official figures show recent hate crimes well down compared to 2007-9, but perception is everything and it must be pretty bad for folks who live in those areas with high levels of hate crime.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/748598/hate-crime-1718-hosb2018.pdf

Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW)
 The combined 2015/16 to 2017/18 CSEW estimates that there were around 184,000 incidents of hate crime a year. This estimate is 40% lower than the 307,000 incidents a year estimated by the 2007/08 and 2008/09 combined CSEW.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1891
POLL - how do you feel about Brexit?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
I’m happy to say that most Brexit supporters are ignorant at best, racist and xenophobic at worst.

I’m certain that I would not insinuate that they are Nazis.  That’s an automatic loss in any internet discussion.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
The official figures show recent hate crimes well down compared to 2007-9, but perception is everything and it must be pretty bad for folks who live in those areas with high levels of hate crime.

That's more or less why I was asking to be honest as I had heard statistics  seemed to show a decline. But, admittedly, I'm in the South of England in an area that I'd say is a majority "Bollocks to Brexit"so also don't necessarily feel the xenophobia in my face as others might've. Was just trying to decipher if there actually was a rise (statistically speaking) or if it was more or less unfortunate experiences around Dani making them feel that this must be the case.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 149
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
jimbocz….just can't believe you wrote that.....
Fred

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
jimbocz….just can't believe you wrote that.....

Wait, I didn't think it was that controversial.  Just that Brexit supporters are usually ignorant, but calling them Nazis is a bit much.  Did it come across differently?

• Liked: 716
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 05:28:46 PM »
Wait, I didn't think it was that controversial.  Just that Brexit supporters are usually ignorant, but calling them Nazis is a bit much.  Did it come across differently?

If you don’t think that calling half the country ignorant is controversial then maybe you are not much different to them. Better to attack their arguments than throw insults at them otherwise onlookers cannot tell the fools from the wise.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
I'll do some digging but I have definitely seen it reported that there has been an increase in hate crimes and antisocial behaviour towards immigrants, the disabled, and those on benefits. The tories have painted pretty large swaths of the country in a hateful light for many years so it's not surprising. It just depends on how that data is gathered and reported, because some of that may also have changed in the last few years. If I can find anything official I will share it here.

Personally Brexit terrifies me. It takes the protections of the EU and potentially throws them out the window along with limiting freedom of movement. The idea of retiring in another country (that is less expensive than the UK) or even working for a time in another country was definitely something I thought about when making the decision to move here. Brexit had passed and we considered my husband going the other direction to join me in the US, but eventually being close to his aging parents won. I'm frustrated and worried for our future because the government clearly is not putting the wellbeing of the country first.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »
Why are you guys giving me such a hard time for calling Brexit supporters ignorant when she called them Nazis?  I was actually trying to defend Brexiteers from being called something most of them aren't.   

As far as attacking arguments rather than calling names, there aren't any Brexiteer arguments on this thread to attack.  And I'm over arguing with people about Brexit on the internet.  If anyone still hasn't figured out what a stupid idea it is yet, I don't think I can help. 

• Liked: 149
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
jimbocz.....again.....the prejudice.....something you can't see. Which....is the scary thing about prejudice......people can't see it or accept it. It's always someone else.
Fred

• Liked: 163
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »
Why are you guys giving me such a hard time for calling Brexit supporters ignorant when she called them Nazis?  I was actually trying to defend Brexiteers from being called something most of them aren't.   

As far as attacking arguments rather than calling names, there aren't any Brexiteer arguments on this thread to attack.  And I'm over arguing with people about Brexit on the internet.  If anyone still hasn't figured out what a stupid idea it is yet, I don't think I can help.

You've got to give the brexit voters a break. They're starting to get worried that maybe Nigel Farage isn't going to drive a big red bus full of the EU's money up to NHS headquarters.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »

If it helps, I totally got what you were trying to say. But ho hum, pigs bum.

My, how time flies....

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 10:01:26 PM »
jimbocz.....again.....the prejudice.....something you can't see. Which....is the scary thing about prejudice......people can't see it or accept it. It's always someone else.

Well, I respect you as a resonable person so I am very interested in this prejuidice that I am showing that is invisible to me.  So I looked it up:

"preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience"

I think I've got enough reason and actual experience to judge that people who continue to support a racist, xenophobic and dumb policy  are racist, xenophobic and/or dumb.   The thing is, that's not invisible to me.  In fact, I wear it as a badge of honor. 

Here's some reading for you:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-education-higher-university-study-university-leave-eu-remain-voters-educated-a7881441.html

How's that for actual experience and reason?

Sponsored Links