Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life In The UK - How exact does the name have to match?  (Read 2166 times)

• In love with user "Snowdonia".
  • Liked: 1
Life In The UK - How exact does the name have to match?
« on: April 22, 2019, 10:26:11 PM »
I see that we need to bring a utility-bill to the Life-In-The-UK test centre.

Suppose a passport is under the name "Jane Average Doe", but the utility bill is for "Jane A. Doe"? Seriously, would that be rejected?

• Liked: 6110
Re: Life In The UK - How exact does the name have to match?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »
I see that we need to bring a utility-bill to the Life-In-The-UK test centre.

Suppose a passport is under the name "Jane Average Doe", but the utility bill is for "Jane A. Doe"? Seriously, would that be rejected?

It needs to be an exact match.

The information you give when you register for a test must be an exact match to the ID and postcode evidence presented. If this information is not correct you may not be able to take the test and we will not refund your test fee.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/terms-and-conditions-for-booking-and-taking-the-life-in-the-uk-test/terms-and-conditions-for-booking-and-taking-the-life-in-the-uk-test

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 10:56:51 PM »
Seriously, would that be rejected?

Yes (unfortunately). Needs to be an exact match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 70
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
A driving licence is also acceptable in case that's easier, as per:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/terms-and-conditions-for-booking-and-taking-the-life-in-the-uk-test/terms-and-conditions-for-booking-and-taking-the-life-in-the-uk-test

Candidate proof of postcode cannot be any older than 3 months prior to the date of the test (except a UK photocard driving licence). We will not let you take your test without this proof, or if it older than 3 months and we will not refund your test fee. This proof should be an original of one of the following documents (photocopies and printouts will not be accepted, with the exception of electronic bank statements printed by the bank with an electronic stamp):

gas / electricity / water bill (the word ‘Bill’ or ‘Statement’ must be shown on the document and the usage must be present covering a historical timespan to confirm residency)
council tax bill (adjustments can be accepted (Final demand notices are not acceptable)
a bank statement/credit card statement (this must be an original statement printed by your bank. This can be an electronic bank statements printed by the bank with an electronic stamp
a bank transaction list (you can ask your bank to provide you with one however it MUST have been stamped by the issuing branch). This can be an electronic bank transaction list printed by the bank with an electronic stamp
UK photocard driving licence (this can also be used as photographic ID)
or a letter from the Home Office with your name and address on it

The document here suggests that either a full or a provisional should be acceptable, but I believe we only *know* that full licences have been accepted.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574627/Identification_Requirements.pdf

Also, a council tax bill should have exactly matching names on it, and you should be able to get an up-to-date one from the council to meet the less-than-3-months-old requirement (can someone else clarify or weigh in on this?)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
Wow, that is crazy.  When I start opening up accounts in the next few months, I'm going to try to get all of them to list my full name then!
Fiancee application approved: 10 Jun 2019
Arrived in UK:  2 Jul 2019
FLR#1 application submitted:  11 Sep 2019
Biometrics:  17 Sep 2019

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:13 AM »
I got married but haven’t changed my name on my US passport. Everything in the UK is in my married name. Will it be ok if my test certificate doesn’t match the name on my passport, or is it too complicated? I suppose I could renew my passport with my new name, as I’m applying for FLR(M) soon, but I was trying to save money wherever possible.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
I got married but haven’t changed my name on my US passport. Everything in the UK is in my married name. Will it be ok if my test certificate doesn’t match the name on my passport, or is it too complicated? I suppose I could renew my passport with my new name, as I’m applying for FLR(M) soon, but I was trying to save money wherever possible.

Nope, it *has* to match your passport/visa name exactly. It’s not even that it’s too complicated, it’s that it’s not allowed.

I got married but didn’t change my name on my US passport/visa as it meant quicker option to get here to be with my husband. Everything here (UK) is/was in my married name. I had to physically change one bill to match my full maiden name (first/middle/last) so that it would match. Unfortunately, there’s no easier way. It’s not a massive issue, just plan for it in advance because I didn’t and it made it more stressful last minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
I'm not being funny, but I accidentally took a credit card bill that was in my married name, not my maiden name that's on my passport. I didnt even realize until I had taken the test! And noone questioned it! I had backup utility bills and other bits. But WOW?!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 13
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »
I think I brought in a bill that had my first two initials and my married surname, and they barely glanced at it before continuing on with the testing centre's rules and procedures.
Good luck on the test!

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
I'm not being funny, but I accidentally took a credit card bill that was in my married name, not my maiden name that's on my passport. I didnt even realize until I had taken the test! And noone questioned it! I had backup utility bills and other bits. But WOW?!

I think I brought in a bill that had my first two initials and my married surname, and they barely glanced at it before continuing on with the testing centre's rules and procedures.
Good luck on the test!

Both of you were very lucky.  :)

There are countless instances of people being turned away for the name not matching exactly. Many of our members saw it happening to other people when they were taking their tests and it's all over the immigration forums.

If they turn you away, there is no refund of the £50 fee and if you are tight for time especially, it's just not something that you should take a chance on.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
Yes, I've had far too many friends in real life be turned away to not tell anyone to risk it!  Of course, YMMV but they can be VERY picky.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »
I by no means am saying risk it! Not worth it,  just find it crazy they didn't check mine very closely. Especially just after that news about people paying £2000 to take the test for them!

• Liked: 13
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
Hi there Snowdon,
I told you a lie earlier. While uploading documents this weekend I noticed that the bill I used for the Life in the UK test actually does have my full name, spelled out just like it is on my BRP. So that's probably why they barely glanced at it, and if you want it to be a non-issue, probably a really good idea to take the time to get the bill name adjusted!

I'd also say - and your mileage may vary - but because I picked a half-term week to take the test, the time slots filled up really quickly. Obvs that may have just been the testing centre I was planning to use, but, just thought I'd suggest that you shouldn't leave it until the last minute to book the test.

And, again, wishing you all the best of luck when you take the test!

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
Hi there Snowdon,
I told you a lie earlier. While uploading documents this weekend I noticed that the bill I used for the Life in the UK test actually does have my full name, spelled out just like it is on my BRP. So that's probably why they barely glanced at it, and if you want it to be a non-issue, probably a really good idea to take the time to get the bill name adjusted!

I'd also say - and your mileage may vary - but because I picked a half-term week to take the test, the time slots filled up really quickly. Obvs that may have just been the testing centre I was planning to use, but, just thought I'd suggest that you shouldn't leave it until the last minute to book the test.

And, again, wishing you all the best of luck when you take the test!

You were better prepared than you remember being!  :) It's amazing how quickly the details fade from memory once the whole ordeal is over. Thanks for coming back to let us know.  :)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
We finally got one of the utilities to send a correct version with a date we could use.  They did the name right the first time but it was a reprint of an August bill with no current date.  That took almost three weeks.  The local council tax was changed in their office a couple of weeks ago but they don't print them on demand anymore.  They have a backlog so it will probably show up about a month after my visa ends.  The other utility bill added Mrs. in front of my name which made the last two letter cut off due to a QR code on the same line.  They were asked for a change dropping the Mrs. the same day as the other one and still hasn't shown up.  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

So having received the letter we need I've booked but the earliest appointment I could get was next Tuesday (14th).  I have to admit I'm terrified.  My visa ends on the 26th.  IF I pass the test, will we have enough time to get the biometrics and document appointment in before the 26th?  I'm overthinking it I know but it's been one mess-up after another on this one.  I don't have the best memory and it seems like everything I learn is sliding out my ears a day or two later.

Any hope or do we bail on ILR and just go for a third FLR(m)?

Many thanks!
Snowdonia the frantic
Happily ever after...
Living with husband in the UK since October 2013.
Currently seeking 2nd FLR(M)
28 Aug 2013 - Online application/Payment
3 Sept 2013 - Biometrics appointment
5 Sept 2013 - Shipped application to Sheffield
                    w/ Priority Processing

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab