Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting Name on Mail & NI Number  (Read 1827 times)

• Liked: 5
Getting Name on Mail & NI Number
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
Hello,

I've just moved to the UK last week and am in the process of getting my name on everything possible. I just called up and sorted out the council tax bit, but they've told me there's "outstanding work to be done at the office" and I won't get any letter in the mail for 3-4 weeks. I explained I needed that to register with a GP and kind of needed that as my proof of address for a few things but that didn't make a difference to the council. So I'm a bit stuck on what else I can get my name on.

So far I've:
-Changed my address with my UK phone company and elected for paper statements (I had a contract prior to that is just rolling month to month right now)
-Added myself to council tax
-Updated my address with my UK bank account (though I need to call and have them manually change to paper statements as it won't allow me online)
-Registered for a provisional license (though it said a form will be coming in the mail and I'll need to complete that and get that sent off before I receive it)

Is there anything else that can be done at the moment? My only other idea is to have my fiancé call up the energy company and get my name put on, though I don't know if they'd do that without proof of address. I have to wait to register with a GP until the council tax letter comes through.

Also as a side note, I had a NI Number from when I was in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa. Is there anything I need to do with that, like contact them to update my address?

Massive thank you in advance x
Visa: Fiancée Visa (Settlement - Marriage) Non-Priority
Application Submitted Online: 02 Feb 2019
Biometrics: 06 Feb 2019
Documents Received in Sheffield: 07 Mar 2019 / 21WD
Decision Made: 11 April 2019 / 46WD

Arrived on Fiancé Visa: 18 April 2019
Wedding: 1 August 2019
FLR(M) Application: 17 September 2019
Biometrics (Manchester): 4 October 2019
Result: Approved: 4 November 2019

• Liked: 1327
Re: Getting Name on Mail & NI Number
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
Hello,

I've just moved to the UK last week and am in the process of getting my name on everything possible. I just called up and sorted out the council tax bit, but they've told me there's "outstanding work to be done at the office" and I won't get any letter in the mail for 3-4 weeks. I explained I needed that to register with a GP and kind of needed that as my proof of address for a few things but that didn't make a difference to the council. So I'm a bit stuck on what else I can get my name on.

So far I've:
-Changed my address with my UK phone company and elected for paper statements (I had a contract prior to that is just rolling month to month right now)
-Added myself to council tax
-Updated my address with my UK bank account (though I need to call and have them manually change to paper statements as it won't allow me online)
-Registered for a provisional license (though it said a form will be coming in the mail and I'll need to complete that and get that sent off before I receive it)

Is there anything else that can be done at the moment? My only other idea is to have my fiancé call up the energy company and get my name put on, though I don't know if they'd do that without proof of address. I have to wait to register with a GP until the council tax letter comes through.

Also as a side note, I had a NI Number from when I was in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa. Is there anything I need to do with that, like contact them to update my address?

Massive thank you in advance x

If you've changed all of these addresses and set all of this stuff up in the past week, I'm pretty sure at least one of them will send  you a letter to confirm the changes/new accounts.  You don't need your first proof of address to be the council tax statement... that's just usually the easiest.  Apparently, in your case, it won't be the easiest, so you'll use any of the others that you're likely to get shortly.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 02:33:37 PM »
If you've changed all of these addresses and set all of this stuff up in the past week, I'm pretty sure at least one of them will send  you a letter to confirm the changes/new accounts.  You don't need your first proof of address to be the council tax statement... that's just usually the easiest.  Apparently, in your case, it won't be the easiest, so you'll use any of the others that you're likely to get shortly.  :)

Fingers crossed one of them does. Should just have energy and GP left. Thank you so much! :)  x

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
For what it's worth, I was able to be added to my now-husband's electric bill over the phone.  He rang them up and said he wanted to add me, the agent on the phone spoke with me to get my authorization, and that was it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
For what it's worth, I was able to be added to my now-husband's electric bill over the phone.  He rang them up and said he wanted to add me, the agent on the phone spoke with me to get my authorization, and that was it.
We switched it to my name over the phone as we couldn't have ours in two names. Didn't need any sort of proof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »

If you still know your NI number then there is nothing you need to do to inform them (HMRC & DWP) of your new address, just provide it on any forms where it is requested.

If you have forgotten your NI number you can contact HMRC to find out what it is.  They will inform you by mail within 15 days so that would be another letter confirming your address.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »

Perfect, will have my fiancé do that this evening. Thank you so much  :D

If you still know your NI number then there is nothing you need to do to inform them (HMRC & DWP) of your new address, just provide it on any forms where it is requested.

If you have forgotten your NI number you can contact HMRC to find out what it is.  They will inform you by mail within 15 days so that would be another letter confirming your address.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Thank you so much. I still have the letter with the NI number so will just keep that handy for once I'm on FLR(M) and can start applying for work.   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab