Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time renting in the UK questions  (Read 4127 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: First time renting in the UK questions
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
Perhaps you should read how credit ratings are formed?

.....to have no credit line in the UK, that does not mean you have to have been bankrupt in another country. Perhaps it’s you that should do some research. You can even have *bad* credit (in another country) without having ever declared bankruptcy in that country as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:04:58 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »
Yeah, no credit in the UK has absolutely nothing to do with having a bankruptcy.  In fact, people can have multiple bankruptcies in their country of origin and it affects NOTHING in their relocation to the UK.

It's because six months rent in advance is NOT a deposit.  It's six months rent *in advance*. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »
Yeah, no credit in the UK has absolutely nothing to do with having a bankruptcy.  In fact, people can have multiple bankruptcies in their country of origin and it affects NOTHING in their relocation to the UK.

It's because six months rent in advance is NOT a deposit.  It's six months rent *in advance*.

I mean...I know I was having a long and difficult day today...but I like to think I knew what my credit rating was when I moved to the country when I 100% never declared bankruptcy in my life (I know I had student loans I was paying but that had ZERO impact - even negatively).

I wouldn't expect Sirius to know what your credit rating would be when moving to the country as she's not done it herself from what I gather, but that info is completely wrong (unless it's perhaps been worded incorrectly - I don't know). Bankruptcy (in a foreign country, especially) is a whole different thing.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 674
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
It will depend on the landlord.  Granted, I'm in Scotland, but I think that's probably the case everywhere. What I had to show my landlord was my EU passport (showing I was eligible to live in-country - you'd probably send a copy of your visa, if not EU or dual UK) and proof of income.  I also gave them a letter from my then-current landlord, but they said it wasn't needed. I had spotted the flat on the Rightmove website before moving over, so I'd contacted them while still in the States. They accepted an application from me in advance, with the understanding that nothing was binding until I saw the flat and wanted to move in. The flat had been refurbished a couple of months earlier and was vacant - probably because the rent was a bit too high for the area. (Other flats went for cheaper as they came vacant after we moved in.)

They allowed me to put my deposit and my first month's rent on my credit card when I arrived and we signed the lease, as they knew I didn't have a UK bank account and wouldn't until I got the letters from the Utilities and Council Tax to show the bank I was living here.  I had pre-booked viewings at a half-dozen different places prior to arriving, and saw our current home on the second day of viewings. Love at first sight, this place was.  ;D

• Liked: 342
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
They can still request six months rent in advance though for tenants without UK credit though... at least that's how I've interpreted the guidance.

What clause of the law did you see that?

Did you find this in the law?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
Did you find this in the law?

Yes.  Which is why I posted it.

Sponsored Links