Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: speeding ticket affect on application?  (Read 3025 times)

• Liked: 56
speeding ticket affect on application?
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
Hi guys.
I may have just been caught by a mobile speed camera going 33 in a 30 (only because a lorry had starting to pass me on my right but slowed down - i now know because of the camera van - and left me on the inside of him...i didn't want to stay on his inside and there were people close to me behind me...i was only going 28 at the time so i thought i could pass him without speeding....i just kissed 33 before changing my mind as i did not want to speed too much to do this and and because people behind me had pulled back - again due to the camera i could not see...i was already braking when i saw the camera van).

Has anyone had any problems with a visa application after having a speeding ticket?

Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 6110
Re: speeding ticket affect on application?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »
Hi guys.
I may have just been caught by a mobile speed camera going 33 in a 30 (only because a lorry had starting to pass me on my right but slowed down - i now know because of the camera van - and left me on the inside of him...i didn't want to stay on his inside and there were people close to me behind me...i was only going 28 at the time so i thought i could pass him without speeding....i just kissed 33 before changing my mind as i did not want to speed too much to do this and and because people behind me had pulled back - again due to the camera i could not see...i was already braking when i saw the camera van).

Has anyone had any problems with a visa application after having a speeding ticket?

A simple fixed penalty notice won't have a detrimental effect on your application. With any luck though, they won't have got you. Fingers crossed.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
Thanks. Hopefully he wouldn't have. I called my father-in-law to ask about the situation as he used to work in the police around here. He doubts I was actually going above 30 (its his old car I was driving and he said its actually slower than what the speedometer says.) But I'm actually a bit worried that whoever was sat there in the van might have seen the situation as me trying to undertake a lorry (who should not have been in the right hand land on a duel carriage way anyway, let alone not completing an over-taking and therefore trapping me on his inside), and charge me with careless driving. A driving instructor I know said not to worry as those kinds of charges would require loads of cameras and a cop behind me a lot....and more than likely if they guy in the van caught anyone for careless driving it would be the lorry driver....I hope. Guess I will know in 2 weeks.

thanks again guys.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
I really wouldn't worry too much.  Unless you actually saw a flash then the chances are tiny you will get a ticket. Even then, if the truck was passing you, they are more likely to get a ticket.

Even in the worse case, you will most likely be given the chance to have the ticket dropped if you attend a speed awareness course.

I'm curious though.  What kind of dual carriageway has a 30 mph limit?   With two lanes?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »
1 speeding ticket for ILR would only be a problem if your contested it in court and lost, as I assume that would be a conviction? ksand will know.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 09:23:17 AM »
1 speeding ticket for ILR would only be a problem if your contested it in court and lost, as then that would be a conviction.

Good info. Thank you Sirius!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
Good info. Thank you Sirius!

I added a question mark since I posted as I'm not sure. :)  A conviction requires 2 years wait from court date. One paid speeding ticket not contested won't matter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:28:27 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »
I added a question mark since I posted as I'm not sure. :)  A conviction requires 2 years wait from court date. One paid speeding ticket not contested won't matter.

I have just been having a look and it is a conviction if you challenge a speeding ticket in court and are found guilty; which then means 24 months wait for ILR from the date of the conviciton (court date). Paying one speeding ticket is not a conviction.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
I really wouldn't worry too much.  Unless you actually saw a flash then the chances are tiny you will get a ticket. Even then, if the truck was passing you, they are more likely to get a ticket.

Even in the worse case, you will most likely be given the chance to have the ticket dropped if you attend a speed awareness course.

I'm curious though.  What kind of dual carriageway has a 30 mph limit?   With two lanes?

Its an A road leading into a major city....its the main road for commuters in outlying towns to get in to the main city center. So its 30mph. Most ppl do 35-40 as I am always being passed, but sometimes they just have a van sat there.

From what I've read, mobile van cameras don't flash :-(

I think right now, I'm just more worried about a "careless driving" charge if the person in the van decides to charge me with that, even though the lorry trapped me on its inside. :-(

Does anyone know if that is a conviction? I think it is....which would be so unfair. The next two - three weeks are going to be so stressful :-(

If I can't apply for ILR, can I still apply for another FLR?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »
I can't imagine a mobile van giving anyone a ticket for dangerous driving, especially for not doing anything but being passed.  Really, you are fine.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
Thanks for all the support guys.

I swear, I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with the HO. I have been nothing but a terrified mouse since we prepped for my second visa. The only time I have ever been this paranoid was when I was actually in an emotionally abusive friendship. I cannot wait for it all to be over next year and I can have a good cry and start just feeling like myself again.

• UK citizen as of Feb, 2019.
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
I declared four on my citizenship application, last one was in 2011. I sent them records from the dmv to show I paid them. It was approved. So theres that....

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Sooooo.....I was in the clear for that ticket, thank god. But now....grrrrr. I don't know whether or not I've gotten a ticket during a variable speed change on the motorway. My friends told me there are no cameras on that bit of the motorway and I was going no more than 60 anyway cause I felt no need to overtake a van ahead of me. When I got to the exit I needed, I saw the "End" signs and I'm thinking "when did it start???" I looped around to try and see how far back it was and what the limit was as the sliproad said 40, and it was at least 2 overhead signs back going 50mph saying obstruction on slip road. I was a bit upset this morning but I do not think I would have missed two signs and I know I was going 47 by the time I was taking my sliproad exit. But now I am scared. I know you guys above said that 1 ticket won't kill my application but I have been doing loads more research and it seems it might not affect it for a visa, but for ILR - it can get you refused as they can deem you not being of "good character." Its so ridiculous here! You can't have ONE bad day or make ONE little mistake! Uggghhhhh!!!!! I just don't know what to do and I have to wait another 2 weeks to find out! I have been SO careful since my last scare too. Its just today, something made me angry and I was venting about it to myself on my way to work so I am not positive whether or not the signs were active when I was driving. Its so incredibly horrible to leave your life in complete terror like this all the damn time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab