Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Unable to Get Provisional License on Fiancé Visa  (Read 2546 times)

• Liked: 5
Unable to Get Provisional License on Fiancé Visa
« on: May 11, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
Have just found out today that DVLA require a biometric residence permit in order to issue a provisional license. I received a letter in the mail with my passport returned to me telling me this and saying that I did not have the appropriate visa.

I’m worried as this is the only piece of mail I’ve received with my name on it now. My council has repeatedly told me their too busy to issue a letter confirming that I’ve been added to council tax. I haven’t been able to register with a doctor because I don’t have any proof of where I live.

My fiancé and I have both asked for paper statements from our banks but none of the letters have come in.

We’re supposed to give notice of intent for our wedding but I now only have a refusal of application from the DVLA as proof of address.

Is there anything else I can do?
Visa: Fiancée Visa (Settlement - Marriage) Non-Priority
Application Submitted Online: 02 Feb 2019
Biometrics: 06 Feb 2019
Documents Received in Sheffield: 07 Mar 2019 / 21WD
Decision Made: 11 April 2019 / 46WD

Arrived on Fiancé Visa: 18 April 2019
Wedding: 1 August 2019
FLR(M) Application: 17 September 2019
Biometrics (Manchester): 4 October 2019
Result: Approved: 4 November 2019

• Liked: 4985
Re: Unable to Get Provisional License on Fiancé Visa
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
Go into the council office in person?

Will the registrar accept the refusal letter as proof?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
Call your bank to specifically request a statement is sent now. Also, check what the frequency of your statements is set at. Make sure it's monthly from now on.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
Go into the council office in person?

Will the registrar accept the refusal letter as proof?

I’ll try to go this week and see if showing up in person can convince them to issue me the letter.

I’ll also ask the registrar’s office on Monday when I call to make our appointments for notice of intent.

Just so frustrating! Thank you for the suggestions though, hopefully showing in person will be enough to get something issued with proof of address.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
Call your bank to specifically request a statement is sent now. Also, check what the frequency of your statements is set at. Make sure it's monthly from now on.

That’s a good point, I will call on Monday. Thank you, I wouldn’t have thought to ask about frequency of statements. :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
Regarding the GP, I would ask them if they will let your fiancee vouch for you. I know some will do that.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Regarding the GP, I would ask them if they will let your fiancee vouch for you. I know some will do that.
My GP let me be added to their roster provisionally when I was here on my fiance/marriage settlement visa but I needed to bring in post and my BRP card to complete my registration back in 2014.

On a marriage settlement visa, you aren't eligible for 'free' NHS yet... So you may not be able to be added as a normal/full patient since you have to pay out of pocket/use travel insurance for any care until you have your Further Leave to Remain visa.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:39:27 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
Because of the implementation of the hostile environment & charging patients for the NHS, they often now require photo ID and proof of address to register for a surgery. Been hearing complaints because a lot of elderly folks don't have photo ID. So, I wouldn't guarantee they could accept you as a registered patient until you have the correct visa. :(

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
Hiya, thanks for all of the replies!  ;D I ended up phoning the council again and explained that I can't give notice for our marriage until I receive a letter from the council to use as proof of address. The woman said she's moved me up the queue and will have a letter out by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

I also ended up phoning my bank. I'm so thankful that I still have an account here from when I was a student. There's almost no money in it as my fiancé and I are planning to get a joint account once we're married and I have an amazing bank in the states so I normally just take out an amount each week from there. Anyways, phoned my UK account and was able to get signed up for paper statements. The person also said they would send out my most current statement in the mail today. So hopefully I'll be able to use that until the council tax letter comes in.

As for the statement I had made about wanting to register with a GP, I'm fully aware I have no access to the 'free' NHS until I'm on FLR(M). I have no plans to use the NHS until I am on FLR(M). I had wanted to register now so that I can have another piece of mail to use towards our FLR(M) application. I had made sure to obtain the full amount of medication needed to last me until then and also have health insurance as a just in case. It's not the end of the world if I can't register with a GP now, as I should be able to get to 6 pieces of correspondence without it. But it is good that I am aware that I might have a difficult time registering!

Again, thank you all for your help. It's been a strange adjustment these past few weeks since arriving but I'm so thankful for everyone's support here!  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »
If you don't have the 6 pieces for your first FLR visa after you get married, you'll be fine.

I don't think I had more than 1 or 2 pieces of post and simply said I wasn't able to get more when we applied and I got my visa just fine. It's vital for the next one and ILR.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
If you don't have the 6 pieces for your first FLR visa after you get married, you'll be fine.

I don't think I had more than 1 or 2 pieces of post and simply said I wasn't able to get more when we applied and I got my visa just fine. It's vital for the next one and ILR.

Thank you! That's great to know. I definitely have a letter prepped and ready as I'm sure we won't have the full 6 for this application. We will have more than enough the next time around.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab