Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Crazy idea ... ILR good in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda?  (Read 1437 times)

• live long and prosper
    • Umpteen Graphics and Web Design
  • Liked: 1
Crazy idea ... ILR good in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda?
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
As some of you may recall, my wife recently passed away February 28. Now that I'm a widowed parent of a 16 year old British citizen, I'm told that my ILR should be approved (submitted last month) with no problem.

My daughter is a Type 1 diabetic and we rely on the NHS for insulin and monitoring etc. She is keen to go to University in America ... and we are trying to figure out the American Health Care system which seems to be in a constant state of flux.

I am officially retired as of April and would love to move back to the USA as well, pension is now active and I have Medicare but = it seems logical to keep my ILR in good stead after investing so much in the UK over the last 8 years.

Here's my crazy idea: could I move to the Virgin Islands or Bermuda and maintain my ILR?? and does the NHS operate anywhere in the Caribbean?

It would mean a quick trip to the States from there and having lived in Florida for 25 years (still have a house there) I love the ocean life..

What do you all think?
thanks in advance
Peter
Cheers!

• Liked: 494
Re: Crazy idea ... ILR good in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
I think that unless your daughter has very good private insurance that covers her insulin, you'd be shocked at what medical care and routine medications will cost for her there.

I'll leave it to others to discuss the NHS, but it is my understanding that it's in the UK only.

• Liked: 190
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:29:32 PM »
Unfortunately, ILR will only be maintained if you continue to remain in the UK.  If you are looking to spend a lot of time out of the UK, the best thing would be to get British citizenship first.

• Liked: 2989
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
Also, NHS care can only be accessed from within the UK as well - you need to be resident in the UK to use it.

The various Caribbean Islands will have their own healthcare systems, which are completely separate to the UK.

Also, if you wanted to live in Bermuda or the British Virgin Islands, you would need to qualify for a work permit/visa in order to move there.

Just because they are British Overseas Territories, it doesn’t mean you have any right to live or work there. I’ve spent 17 months living and working in British Overseas Territories in the last 6 years and have needed to fill out immigration paperwork each time. Luckily I’ve been exempt from needing a work permit as I’m a government employee working with the military based there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »
Okay .. that's what I figured
so... if I maintain a residence in the UK = where is the cheapest place to live lol =)

also, can I travel to the USA for 6 months and then back?? or 5.9 months
thanks again folks = truly a godsend
Cheers!

• Liked: 5118
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »
Okay .. that's what I figured
so... if I maintain a residence in the UK = where is the cheapest place to live lol =)

also, can I travel to the USA for 6 months and then back?? or 5.9 months
thanks again folks = truly a godsend

You can be out of the UK for up to 2 years before you loose your ILR but you would have to be coming back to live permanently to maintain it,  just coming back for a visit doesn't count.

Far better to apply for citizenship when you are eligible, then you can come and go as you please.
March 28th 2013-Moved to UK, husband on spouse visa.Oct 20th 2015-Applied by mail for FLR(M).Feb 1st 2016 FLR(M).March 7th 2018 ILR. YAY! March 21st NCS&JCAP appointment.

• Liked: 1191
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
You can be out of the UK for up to 2 years before you loose your ILR but you would have to be coming back to live permanently to maintain it,  just coming back for a visit doesn't count.

Far better to apply for citizenship when you are eligible, then you can come and go as you please.

Completely seconding this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019

**CITIZENSHIP APPROVED July 4, 2019! Formal ceremony on August 28, 2019!**

HEY MOM, I'M A BRIT NOW :D

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:34 AM »
The rules for applying for citizenship are slightly different depending on whether or not you are married to a British citizen. I was wondering if you would be treated as if you were still married to a British citizen, meaning you could apply a bit earlier but unfortunately, you will not be.

If your partner has died
You cannot apply for citizenship as the partner of a British citizen if your partner has died. Check if you’re eligible another way - for example if you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK or permanent residence status.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse

You can still apply when you are eligible, it will just take longer to qualify. https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-indefinite-leave-to-remain
March 28th 2013-Moved to UK, husband on spouse visa.Oct 20th 2015-Applied by mail for FLR(M).Feb 1st 2016 FLR(M).March 7th 2018 ILR. YAY! March 21st NCS&JCAP appointment.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »
I would have your daughter look very carefully for student health insurance options for her Type 1.  Insulin in the US is unbelievably expensive right now.  Don't know if she uses a pump or sensors too, but more costs to weigh in as well.  It's doable, just need to double check she's got some sort of insurance that will actually cover the costs. 

As for the other stuff, definitely wait until you get Citizenship. Then you can come back and forth and wherever.

As for cheap places to live in the UK, you'd  be looking at places like Lancashire, Midlands, Northern Ireland, parts of Scotland, Norfolk, Wales, etc -not Surrey, where you're currently at, for sure!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:54:50 AM »
Thank you all so much ... I'd be lost without you! Or, I'd have to hire a lawyer ... er, solicitor

I"ve just had a look and I could rent a 2 bed maisonette in Swansea for about £500 a month = not bad
I've got a brother-in-law in Penarth
It's not the Caribbean but some ocean air is nice

I definitely need to move out of Surrey that is for sure!!

The Type 1 diabetes is a major hurdle. She does use a pump and a Libre monitor, plus the pin-prick blood tester. I don't want to get into politics here but I see Trump trying to improve things ... maybe by next year something will be accomplished. If not completely botched up
Cheers!

• Liked: 129
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
Thank you all so much ... I'd be lost without you! Or, I'd have to hire a lawyer ... er, solicitor

I"ve just had a look and I could rent a 2 bed maisonette in Swansea for about £500 a month = not bad

The Type 1 diabetes is a major hurdle. She does use a pump and a Libre monitor, plus the pin-prick blood tester. I don't want to get into politics here but I see Trump trying to improve things ... maybe by next year something will be accomplished. If not completely botched up

Here was an interesting article from a couple of weeks ago...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47491964

At least it's in the (UK) public consciousness...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
Here was an interesting article from a couple of weeks ago...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47491964

At least it's in the (UK) public consciousness...

thank you so much = this will help convince my daughter that chasing after the American Dream is a bit tattered around the edges
she has her heart set on Harvard for some reason ... says they will roll out the red carpet for her

anyway, looks like we'll be here for the near future = crazy times
cheers!
Peter
Cheers!

• Liked: 1093
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »

I'd encourage you to definitely get citizenship before you leave the UK, and probably wait out the next year just to be sure healthcare is fixed in the US before you lose your foot in the door here in the UK.  You don't want to lose your ability to come back before you make the decision to leave, just in case Trump lets you down.

Meanwhile, there's a pretty good hospital in Llanelli (Prince Phillip Hospital), which is right next door to Swansea, so your daughter would have access to good care.  I live a bit northwest of Llanelli, and the area is very affordable.  And outside of the city it's pretty, too.  I would suggest a short holiday out this way to check out locations of places before signing any tenancy agreement, but I think you could find something nice for a reasonable price.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
I'd encourage you to definitely get citizenship before you leave the UK, and probably wait out the next year just to be sure healthcare is fixed in the US before you lose your foot in the door here in the UK.  You don't want to lose your ability to come back before you make the decision to leave, just in case Trump lets you down.

Meanwhile, there's a pretty good hospital in Llanelli (Prince Phillip Hospital), which is right next door to Swansea, so your daughter would have access to good care.  I live a bit northwest of Llanelli, and the area is very affordable.  And outside of the city it's pretty, too.  I would suggest a short holiday out this way to check out locations of places before signing any tenancy agreement, but I think you could find something nice for a reasonable price.

Oh cool ... thanks very much for that ... sounds like a road trip is in order

We are definitely staying put for the next year as my daughter does her "A Levels" and she loves her current school and friends here

The problem is - she needs to do SAT tests this year - in order to apply to Universities in America for 2020 ... so, she has put herself under a lot of pressure figuring out the ins and outs of that.

I'm wondering if she can get a 3 month supply of insulin here in the UK while attending University in the US or something like that.

Also, I will look into citizenship here ... just seems a huge step

Again, thanks everone
Cheers!

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

Also, I will look into citizenship here ... just seems a huge step

There are really no down sides to getting British citizenship and the application is easier than your prior visa applications. 

We frequently see members here who are hugely regretful that they didn't get citizenship before leaving.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab