Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: USC now able to use egates  (Read 3276 times)

• Liked: 1260
USC now able to use egates
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »
In case you were unaware (as I was) - and I don’t think this has been posted yet (that I’ve seen) - USC (as well as citizens from a few other select countries including Canada) can now re-enter the U.K. more conveniently by using the Egates. Apparently this was due to come into effect today but it was working early as they told me to “try it early as it had been working for others” yesterday. It saved us time as it meant we avoided speaking to an IO. Also not sure if it’s because of where we were coming from (Amsterdam) or the fact they’re phasing our the landing cards apparently, but I didn’t have to do any of that (which helped save time as well).

Just thought I’d post the FYI for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 768
Re: USC now able to use egates
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »
In case you were unaware (as I was) - and I don’t think this has been posted yet (that I’ve seen) - USC (as well as citizens from a few other select countries including Canada) can now re-enter the U.K. more conveniently by using the Egates. Apparently this was due to come into effect today but it was working early as they told me to “try it early as it had been working for others” yesterday. It saved us time as it meant we avoided speaking to an IO. Also not sure if it’s because of where we were coming from (Amsterdam) or the fact they’re phasing our the landing cards apparently, but I didn’t have to do any of that (which helped save time as well).

Just thought I’d post the FYI for you guys.

I saw this in the news a couple of months ago but couldn't remember when it was to come into effect. Will definitely be a time saver.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
I saw this in the news a couple of months ago but couldn't remember when it was to come into effect. Will definitely be a time saver.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It will be... for all you people without kids.  :P

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »
I hadn't seen it before and was WELL confused when they sent me through the egate when I told the person directing everyone that I needed to go to a desk with my sponsor/husband. I was then panicking that it wouldn't work and then Rik would be on the other side of the gate! LOL so I asked the guy working the gate and he said "It's not due to come into effect until tomorrow but I've been sending people through early as it seems to be working today so just give it a go and see what happens". I had no idea what he was talking about that was "due to come into effect tomorrow" so was thoroughly confused but it ended up working pretty easily. Laughing though because there were people in front of me talking sh*t about those taking so long and having issues saying, along the lines of, "it's so easy, just follow directions! I don't know how these people are taking so long to go through the gate!" and then they had issues getting through the gate :) Karma at its finest! lol

It will be... for all you people without kids.  :P

Yeah, annoyingly, if you have kids you can' use them I think I read...And if you get rejected, you have to go to a desk. Not sure how they know what your "right to enter" is though?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Yeah, annoyingly, if you have kids you can' use them I think I read...And if you get rejected, you have to go to a desk. Not sure how they know what your "right to enter" is though?

Yeah, they have to be 12.  Which means the EU/UK line is FULL of families with whining, crying children.  It's GREAT!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
Yeah, they have to be 12.  Which means the EU/UK line is FULL of families with whining, crying children.  It's GREAT!  ;D

The power of christ compels you! You have my sympathies!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
The power of christ compels you! You have my sympathies!

I (mostly) like my children..... not a fan of other people's children.

• Liked: 325
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 01:26:03 AM »
We are just back from a few days in Italy.  We landed in Manchester on the 23rd of May.  Was told to go through e gate so I did.  When we got through the line, I realized there wasn’t anyone to look at my brp so I asked about it at the desk on the way out.  She got one of the passport control officers who took me around to his station, scanned my brp and checked my fingerprints.  He thanked me for stopping and asking and said I shouldn’t use the e gate and should always make sure my brp gets scanned.

On another weird note, we couldn’t get either of my thumbprints to match, though my index fingers matched immediately. 

USC now able to use egates
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
That contradicts what they said to me.

I practically argued with them both asking them to please let me go through the desk route but they said to “just try the egate”. I got through the e-gate fine and I haven’t seen anything saying you need to have BRP scanned when I searched online so I think they don’t have all the staff on the same page...

All the articles I’ve seen seems to say use the e-gate unless you have children under 12  (especially if you’re just here as a visitor). Will do another search now just in case but could you let me know if you find anything as this is definitely important to know if the airport staff are getting it incorrect.

My, how time flies....

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »

Found this on the gov website. Covers ILR and working visas (and leave to enter as a visitor) but doesn’t seem to cover first spousal visa OR FLR(M)

My, how time flies....

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
I’m sure they aren’t on the same page.  What happened to both of us proves it.  My passport was stamped on entering and leaving Italy and then on return to Manchester.  I’ve been here nearly two years, I don’t have ILR yet.

It’s all clear as mud, isn’t it?

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »
I’m sure they aren’t on the same page.  What happened to both of us proves it.  My passport was stamped on entering and leaving Italy and then on return to Manchester.  I’ve been here nearly two years, I don’t have ILR yet.

It’s all clear as mud, isn’t it?

They never do seem to be on the same page and it’s frustrating because we’re the ones that will have to pay if they screw up!

I’m assuming it’s because my BRP was for ILR that I got to go through the egate but it would be nice if they specifically mentioned needing to still go to the desk if you only have your first or extended spousal visa! Never is clear or simple, is it?

My, how time flies....

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
They never do seem to be on the same page and it’s frustrating because we’re the ones that will have to pay if they screw up!

I’m assuming it’s because my BRP was for ILR that I got to go through the egate but it would be nice if they specifically mentioned needing to still go to the desk if you only have your first or extended spousal visa! Never is clear or simple, is it?

Hmm, well I got through the e gate just fine and could have easily walked right out, but I was nervous and stopped at the security desk and asked.  And that is the thing, isn’t it, if they screw up it’s still on us.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »
Hmm, well I got through the e gate just fine and could have easily walked right out, but I was nervous and stopped at the security desk and asked.  And that is the thing, isn’t it, if they screw up it’s still on us.

Yes but as per the screenshot I’ve posted, I should have been okay to do that because I have ILR. The fact is that I’m not sure it’s the same for the other visas.. it’s definitely wrong that you had to be the gatekeeper for that!

My, how time flies....

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
Yes but as per the screenshot I’ve posted, I should have been okay to do that because I have ILR. The fact is that I’m not sure it’s the same for the other visas.. it’s definitely wrong that you had to be the gatekeeper for that!

My hope is that since this is brand new, that next time I travel they will have worked out the kinks.  Maybe it’s fine for me to use the e gate, maybe not.  Certainly not clear.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab