Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling - new BRP not yet received, old BRP still valid  (Read 1724 times)

• Liked: 15
Traveling - new BRP not yet received, old BRP still valid
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
Hi all,

I applied for my first FLR(M) on 17 April. I paid for a 24-hour decision, and received an email stating that my leave to remain had been granted on the same day that I applied.

Long story short-ish: I received the letter (dated 17 April) confirming the decision and stating that my BRP would be delivered separately. However, I never had anything at home (such as a 'sorry we missed you' card) indicating that the BRP had been sent or attempted to be delivered. I therefore completed the relevant 'haven't received my BRP' form on gov.uk, and the Home Office said that they would attempt redelivery to my office. The courier service said that they had attempted delivery at my office (again, no indication of this, but okay), and that they had returned the BRP to the Home Office. I've been emailing with someone at the Home Office who said on Monday (20 May) that they would be in touch soon to confirm a new redelivery date.

All of that being said, my question is: Can I travel out of the country using my current (soon to be old) BRP while it's still valid? It's valid until 24 June 2019, and I have travel plans on 8-11 June. The new one will presumably have a start date of 17 April 2019. Does the issuing of a new BRP cancel out the old one somehow? You're meant to send in your old BRP once you receive your new one, but of course I haven't yet. They say in the letter confirming the decision that one shouldn't make travel plans until receiving the new BRP, but I really thought I would have plenty of time between 17 April and 8 June!  ::)

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but crossing my fingers as I think this may be what I have to do - really don't want to have to cancel my birthday trip due to the Home Office's incompetence.

• Liked: 1327
Re: Traveling - new BRP not yet received, old BRP still valid
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »
Have they changed the process then?  I had to send my old one in with my application, so while my application was pending, I was without a BRP.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »
Yes I assume they have - I scanned all of my documents, uploaded them to the online system that they've been using since November 2018 (I think), and attended an in-person appointment to give my biometrics and scan a couple more documents. At no point did I have to mail anything in, including my current BRP. In the decision email, they ask that you send your current BRP back to them once you receive your new one.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
Yes I assume they have - I scanned all of my documents, uploaded them to the online system that they've been using since November 2018 (I think), and attended an in-person appointment to give my biometrics and scan a couple more documents. At no point did I have to mail anything in, including my current BRP. In the decision email, they ask that you send your current BRP back to them once you receive your new one.

Hmm.  That's a nice change.  Unexpected!

After pondering this, this is my conclusion and the reasoning I used:  If the decision email says to hold on to your current BRP until you receive your new one, and HO have acknowledged that they still have your new one, I would assume that means your current BRP is still valid and you can travel on it.  Having said that, I would not want to be the one to test that!

Let's just hope your new one arrives shortly!

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
So I've gone back to the email to make sure I was remembering it correctly, and here's what it says:

'I’m pleased to confirm that your application for leave to remain as a spouse has now been granted. You will receive your decision letter and biometric residence permit (BRP) in due course and these will confirm your immigration status.

If you previously held a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) you must now return it to the Home Office as it is no longer valid. You should cut the card in half and post it in a plain, windowless envelope.'

That to me sounds as though the granting of the new leave clearance has invalidated the old one....

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
Ah, yes.  In that case, do NOT leave the UK 'til you have received your new BRP.  That's pretty clear that your old one isn't going to be of much use to you.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
The new leave will have invalidated the old (as you’ve figured out).

I am surprised they didn’t collect the BRP at the appointment though.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab