Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK stamp on spouse visa?  (Read 5049 times)

• Liked: 24
Re: UK stamp on spouse visa?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing your story - sounds like you got caught up as they change the system. I'm sure it'll all be fine once they iron out the kinks
Met online: April 2017 | Met in person: March 2018 | Entered relationship: October 2018 | Engaged: Feb 2019 | Wedding: August 2019
Application package sent: 14 Aug 2019 | Package rec'd in New York: 16 Aug 2019 | Package rec'd email: 20 Aug 2019
Decision made email: 19 Sept 2019 (23WD) | Passport received (approval!) 23 Sept (25WD)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »
So crazy if they’ve changed all this without any notification!

Hopefully your wife managed to enjoy a bit of Amsterdam at least.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
So crazy if they’ve changed all this without any notification!

I wonder if they have even thought it all the way through... 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
And this is the news article I found.....  <sigh>

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »

Now someone just needs to tell the IO's!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

Do you have the link to the article? I’ve been looking for it on lexology. I’m thinking of giving the officer a print out if he/she claims the visas don’t need to be stamped.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
@jaxjaxja did you make it into the country yet? I'm curious to hear from other people's experience

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54:39 AM »
I posted this in another thread, but just so it is here too:

My wife came through on Friday 7th June, she was directed to an e-gate, but instead went to a desk with an officer on after I had told her to get a stamp. The officer looked at the vignette, asked her a few questions about why she was coming to the UK and waved her through. She didn't get a stamp, and was told she didn't need one. Unfortunately she didn't insist on one or ask for confirmation of not needing one, and just accepted the immigration officer's statement.

It really isn't clear what needs to be done in this situation.....

• Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 05:01:06 AM »
Additionally some articles on lexology suggest it might not be needed?

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=66a9b7cf-ab46-44bf-987d-1950d31b0c96 [nofollow]

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 06:13:31 AM »
Additionally some articles on lexology suggest it might not be needed?

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=66a9b7cf-ab46-44bf-987d-1950d31b0c96

Unfortunately, that information is contradictory and inconclusive also. From the link you provided.

Stamping 30 day visa vignettes

Those applying overseas for a UK entry clearance visa will be used to ensuring that their 30 day vignette in their passport is date stamped by border control, so they can collect their biometric card after arrival in the UK. That requirement should no longer apply to travellers from those seven countries, but for those granted approval in a visa route leading to indefinite leave to remain (ILR) - such as sole representatives, Tier 2 General or Tier 1 Investor - we would still recommend getting a date stamp from a border control officer on first entry. That stamp will provide evidence of date of entry that may be helpful later when calculating ILR eligibility or deadlines to meet visa conditions.

Bold mine. As we all know, the spouse visa also leads to ILR and the stamp is, or has been up to this point anyway, imperative for these calculations.

Until someone provides an excerpt from the immigration rules, that clearly indicates that there will be an alternative method of proving the date on which the 5 years to settlement starts, I would insist on a stamp.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:24:38 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 7
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
Until someone provides an excerpt from the immigration rules, that clearly indicates that there will be an alternative method of proving the date on which the 5 years to settlement starts, I would insist on a stamp.

Believe me, when my wife came through she insisted to get her passport stamped and they still flat out refused. I even spoke to the immigration officer and they still flat out refused.

Best is to try and get it stamped but I would recommend keeping ticket stubs and the BRP receipt. For others out there, make sure to get your BRP as soon as you arrive into the country

• Liked: 387
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »
I'm trying to find something more concrete, but at the moment, the UKVI guidelines are somewhat vague (surprise, surprise) - but are suggestive that it's acceptable to use the e-gates and not need to get a stamp from the border control officer.

If you’re from a non-EEA country
You no longer have to fill in a landing card. Your passport (and visa if you have one) will be checked at border control. You’ll usually be asked why you’re coming to the UK.

You may be able to use the automatic ePassport gates if you’re from:

Australia
Canada
Japan
New Zealand
Singapore
South Korea
United States

You must also:

- be aged 12 or over (if you’re between 12 and 17, you must be accompanied by an adult)
- have a valid visa or a biometric residence permit
- have a valid passport for the duration of your stay
- have a passport with a ‘chip’ on it

When you must see a border control officer

You must see a border control officer and get a stamp in your passport if you’re from a non-EEA country and entering the UK:

- on a short term study visa up to 6 months
- with a Tier 5 Creative or Sporting certificate of sponsorship for up to 3 months (and you want to enter without a visa)
- on a permitted paid engagement
- to accompany or join your EEA family member

You cannot get a stamp if you use the ePassport gates. Without a stamp you will not be allowed to carry out the activities you came to the UK to do.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/at-border-control

ETA:  It's all well and good, but doesn't directly confirm that the e-gate entry will be recorded in their system to begin the 5-year residency qualifying period, and not based off of, for example, the date you collect your BRP.   :-\\\\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:28:29 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 05:40:13 PM »

ETA:  It's all well and good, but doesn't directly confirm that the e-gate entry will be recorded in their system to begin the 5-year residency qualifying period, and not based off of, for example, the date you collect your BRP.   :-\\\\

Exactly! That's why if the ECO refuses to stamp, I would insist on them providing the relevant section of the immigration rules... at the very least that'll embarrass them, if the rules have not been updated to reflect the change in policy! At best, we'll have our answer.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
You must see a border control officer and get a stamp in your passport if you’re from a non-EEA country and entering the UK:

- to accompany or join your EEA family member

Maybe I'm daft, but I don't see this as vague.  To me it seems clear that 'we' still need to get that stamp to join our partners in the UK.  The UK is part of the EEA, so our partners are EEA family members ...  :-\\\\   Do I have this wrong?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »
Maybe I'm daft, but I don't see this as vague.  To me it seems clear that 'we' still need to get that stamp to join our partners in the UK.  The UK is part of the EEA, so our partners are EEA family members ...  :-\\\\   Do I have this wrong?

Because our UK citizenship trumps our EU citizenship for UK immigration purposes, I take that to mean non-UK EU citizens.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab