Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: And how the rest of the world is seeing the UK  (Read 2217 times)

• Liked: 674

Re: And how the rest of the world is seeing the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
Well, that's one way to look at it, yeah...   0.24% of the United Kingdom's population will select the next Prime Minister....

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/09/politics/uk-prime-minister-race-us-president/index.html

And then, there's this cheery little tidbit

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/09/uk/brexit-claims-trump-week-gbr-intl/index.html

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »
I think Trump is the most disturbing political thing  to happen in my lifetime. So I don't know if a system that produced that result can be compared favourably to any other. He may get reelected too. His ability to stack the Supreme Court......
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
I think Trump is the most disturbing political thing  to happen in my lifetime. So I don't know if a system that produced that result can be compared favourably to any other. He may get reelected too. His ability to stack the Supreme Court......

...and the Federal courts (well over 100 judges appointed to date), plus the top law official (AG). What happened to separation of powers?
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:26:33 PM »

He WILL be re-elected.  You could blow me over with a feather if he’s not.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:43:19 PM »
Well, if he is that pretty much means we don't go home for the next four years. If that ever was on the table anyway.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 05:43:04 PM »
And this author is really being Captain Obvious here   
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/25/uk/boris-johnson-doesnt-understand-brexit-intl-gbr/index.html
Or maybe it's that the folks in the US of A need to be told that, as they're kind of out of the loop.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
My favourite quote from the article:

"It is likely he will now have to deliver on the undeliverable promises he made during the referendum campaign; Europe will not assist him with these matters,"

• Liked: 533
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
"it's becoming abundantly clear that those at the very top of the political elite have either not understood or chosen to ignore the lessons Theresa May learned the hardest way imaginable"

It's the poisoned chalice. The only possible way out of this now is to call off this particular nonsense and if we decide to try again, require a detailed plan on exactly what Brexit will be.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
And this one.... https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/29/uk/uk-post-truth-trump-moment-luke-mcgee-intl-gbr/index.html

...The lack of clarity is already having an impact on the UK. Manufacturing jobs have already been lost. And a less told story is the precarious position the UK's economy is in at the moment. Productivity is stalling, consumer credit is growing, wages are stagnant and current projections show the economy going into reverse in this current fiscal quarter. If a no-deal Brexit is as catastrophic as predicted, this could create a perfect storm of job losses, citizens unable to pay off their debts and the economy tanking. This in turn, could lead to a run on the pound and interest rates rising -- which is bad news for those with large debt. But no one is talking about this. Instead, the nation is in denial, trapped in its Brexit paralysis and chest beating over the politics of the situation....

Yup, that's kinda it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab