Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Freaking drunken ars*-ole old men  (Read 3455 times)

• Liked: 676
Freaking drunken ars*-ole old men
« on: June 03, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
Dang it. The poor Daughter has been so rattled by another drunk customer that she's just phoned and asked if I'd meet her at her work after she gets off for the night because she's afraid he'll be out there and doesn't want to walk home alone. She didn't say much on the phone because there were people around, apparently.  I let her hang up before I thought to say that she REALLY needs to report that to the management. And, of course, she's turned her phone off so I can't reach her now.

The amount of sexual harassment and anti-immigrant innuendo, and the amount of drunken ars*-oles she has to deal with are astounding. She never had this in the States. Even discounting the anti-foreigner stuff, which she says usually comes from old people, usually older (aka over 45) men, it's over the top. The sleazy comments tend to come from the older guys, too, apparently. And the drunks. Who the hell needs to be drunk to go to a freaking grocery shop at 7:00pm on a Monday?

All I can say right now is that I'm going over there in a few and if that guy so much as comes within range I'm going to make sure the next time he sees his teeth is when he's on the crapper.  >:( >:( >:(     They can freaking deport me, fine.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Freaking drunken ars*-ole old men
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
Be careful.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Cast Iron frying pan and Doc Marten steel-toed.

I'll be careful. He's probably long gone, but, if not, between the two of us we are ...somewhat imposing when pissed off.

Jeez, I wish I'd have brought my baseball bat. (Sigh) A cup of screaming hot tea will have to do, instead.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:54:00 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »
Please speak to the management of the shop of your daughter won’t. She seems to encounter these types a lot. Not saying something to management once to not be an inconvenience is understandable...but as this seems to happen regularly, she really cannot continue to stay silent. She shouldn’t have to work in a place she doesn’t feel safe but management can’t help make her feel safe if she doesn’t speak up. If she won’t do it, I honestly think you should because *somebody* has to (especially if it’s bad enough to phone you to come get her)

Be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »
She had done, and apparently has over the last few months repeatedly. It's not just her, either. They have "regular" harassers and tend to run interference for each other when one comes into the shop.   They have a buzzer they can push in an emergency, and security shows up pretty quickly, but that only works inside the shop.  Two weeks ago they had to send one of the girls home in a cab after work, same situation, different pervert.  Another night recently one of the security guys walked home with one of the girls.

Yesterday she had to basically throw the guy out of the shop. When he would not leave, she called security. Who "gave him a talking to."  That seems to be pretty much all they do. Even when they catch someone shoplifting, and they have some serial shoplifters, they don't do anything unless they swipe something really expensive.  If they repeatedly harass the staff, they get "banned" from the shop. But that doesn't always stop them from coming in.

Last evening's guy was on about all the drugs he had in his house, and did she have a boyfriend, and how she should smile more, and where did she live, etc. She gave him his change and said "goodbye, sir" and he kept on asking personal questions. He did not cross the line into overtly threatening her, but she got  "I bet you walk to work. That means you'll have to walk home tonight, doesn't it? All by yourself" stuff.  She told him he needed to leave the shop then, and he wouldn't go. She was afraid he was going to be waiting outside the shop when she got off work. But he was not, thankfully.

Apparently this one was another older guy ("older" being maybe 50?) and drunk. They do seem to get a lot of drunks in there in the evenings, looking for more booze and cigarettes. Unfortunately, a lot of it is just the location and the nature of the shop. They do have a lot of turnover in the staff - the younger women don't stay long. The older birds are bulletproof.  ;)

I, personally, wish she would quit.

I wore my Army jacket and boots when I went over there, which make me look a bit larger than I am. I find that the Army jacket tends to be one of those unusual things here that throws people off guard just a hair. Even though I'm old now.  I'd liked to have gotten a cup of screaming hot tea, but they'd already shut the machine off.  Hot tea in the face is also a decent deterrent, when one is being pestered and it goes over the line. But usually, I've found that if it's just one drunk guy, there being two people instead of just one trying to get home unhasseled, it works.

Still wish I had my baseball bat. Or, actually, some days, my .45. Oh, well. It's still safer here than in the States. Probably because very few people have access to a .45.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:48:37 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
There is a certain older guy type....

They seem to pidgeon-hole ladies who can't avoid them. I see it at the tills in the shop...you can't really just tell them to *bleep* off...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
Not the point - but is 45 really considered "old" these days?

Damn, that sucks for me.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
There is a certain older guy type....

They seem to pidgeon-hole ladies who can't avoid them. I see it at the tills in the shop...you can't really just tell them to *bleep* off...

Exactly. THEM.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
Good thinking on the tea. Accidentally spilling tea on someone is a WHOLE lot different than showing up at a grocery store with a baseball bat.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »

Damn, that sucks for me.
Swift edit to 50 BUT my husband is just turning 50 in 2 weeks and he isn't anywhere close to being old nor does he look old. I'm just now 47 so halfway between what Nan considers old and I object.

I think she needs to reconsider her definition of old. Maybe 70...

I have tons of spry older patients between 45 and 70 and they are out there living their best lives.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:00 AM »
Swift edit to 50 BUT my husband is just turning 50 in 2 weeks and he isn't anywhere close to being old nor does he look old. I'm just now 47 so halfway between what Nan considers old and I object.

I think she needs to reconsider her definition of old. Maybe 70...

I have tons of spry older patients between 45 and 70 and they are out there living their best lives.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ooooooooolllllldddddddd people  ;D

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
Good thinking on the tea. Accidentally spilling tea on someone is a WHOLE lot different than showing up at a grocery store with a baseball bat.

An old lady with a baseball bat in a shopping bag is never going to be questioned.  ;)

However, throwing boiling tea in a face... hey, accidents happen.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »

Damn, that sucks for me.

Only if you're twenty-something, perhaps! Otherwise, definitely not!  ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Only if you're twenty-something, perhaps! Otherwise, definitely not!  ;D

29 and can confirm that 45 is definitely NOT old to somebody in their 20's! hahah My sister is 41 and my other sister is just turning 40 this year and I'm incredibly close to my older sister so maybe I'm biased I guess....but really...no. I don't even think 50 is old! hahah My parent's are mid 60's and I still find it hard considering them "old" (Just "older"). I would definitely agree my thought process of "old" is more like... 70+.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
Considering my oldest friend is 102.... and she doesn't even come off as old....  I'm not the best person to ask. 

She's 102 people!  And she messages me on Facebook.   ;D

Sponsored Links