Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Free NHS Eye Tests  (Read 2576 times)

• Liked: 31
Free NHS Eye Tests
« on: June 06, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
I hope to be in the UK shortly with a spouse visa.  We submitted a priority application in early May.

I meet one of the criteria to qualify for a free NHS eye test as I'm over 40 and I have a family history of glaucoma.  I attached a link to the NHS website that provides more detail.

If I get a free eye test does that put my visa or visa renewal in jeopardy?  I know we're not allowed to receive public assistance with a spouse visa, but I'm not sure if these free exams count as public assistance since the criteria aren't financially driven.  I don't want to do anything that puts my visa at risk!

Thanks for any input you can provide.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/

• Liked: 3595
Re: Free NHS Eye Tests
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »
Free NHS care, including qualifying for free eye tests/medical prescriptions due to a medical condition, are not considered public funds, so you are fine.

You have paid the IHS surcharge in order to be able to use these NHS services for ‘free’ :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
Free NHS care, including qualifying for free eye tests/medical prescriptions due to a medical condition, are not considered public funds, so you are fine.

You have paid the IHS surcharge in order to be able to use these NHS services for ‘free’ :).

Thanks very much.  That makes sense. 

I remember reading in one of the Visa discussions that someone had received some funding for I think it was heating costs which they hadn't realized was considered public assistance.  They had issues getting their visa renewed.  Of course I can't find the thread now to be able to refer back to it!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 06:22:18 PM »
This is the list of public funds that you cannot receive.   :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
I remember reading in one of the Visa discussions that someone had received some funding for I think it was heating costs which they hadn't realized was considered public assistance.  They had issues getting their visa renewed.  Of course I can't find the thread now to be able to refer back to it!

See here for what is considered public funds:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

The NHS is not on that list, so it is not considered public funds.

However, claiming free prescriptions or eye tests based on receiving one of the above listed public funds (or low income) is not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »
Thanks very much!  The link is very helpful.

• Liked: 73
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »
Thanks very much.  That makes sense. 

That was us! We were so worried our application would be refused but we had paid back the money received before we applied, so all was well. Nerve wracking however! But, as others have assured you, free eye tests under the NHS do not come under public funds, so you are fine! It is always good to check though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
That was us!

You live in infamy, Michali!  ;)

• Liked: 73
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
I’m very grateful for the NHS, particularly their diligence in scheduling regular eye exams for my partner, who has a family history of glaucoma. In the end not one but two trabeculectomies (a fancy word for cutting a new hole in your eye) became necessary. Both were expertly performed at Moorfields, the first directly overseen by the top guy in the field. I somehow doubt we would’ve had the same experience in the States. It definitely would’ve been a lot more expensive…

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab