Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Insurance company recommendations for travel back to the US  (Read 2234 times)

• Liked: 31
I will arrive in the UK in June with a spouse visa.  We're traveling back to the US in July and again in October.  In reading prior posts, it seems I need to be sure the policy covers a UK resident without ILR or citizenship, provides coverage for US travel, and will insure a person who's only been in the UK a few weeks.

I'm curious if anyone has been through this and has any recommendations for companies that will provide coverage under these criteria.

One option is to keep my US insurance for a few months, but it's pricy and I'd prefer to find travel insurance if I can.

Thanks very much.

• Liked: 1892
Re: Insurance company recommendations for travel back to the US
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
I will arrive in the UK in June with a spouse visa.  We're traveling back to the US in July and again in October.  In reading prior posts, it seems I need to be sure the policy covers a UK resident without ILR or citizenship, provides coverage for US travel, and will insure a person who's only been in the UK a few weeks.

I'm curious if anyone has been through this and has any recommendations for companies that will provide coverage under these criteria.

One option is to keep my US insurance for a few months, but it's pricy and I'd prefer to find travel insurance if I can.

Thanks very much.

I would use a comparison site like moneysupermarket.com and just do a normal search for travel insurance.  Then just click through and read the terms and conditions.  Fortunately, all of the terms for each policy are presented in roughly the same format so it's pretty easy to compare.  I do an unusual sport when I travel, so making sure that is covered has lead me to sort through the fine print of many different policies over the years.  They are all VASTLY different in what they cover and it has nothing to do with price, so keep clicking through each result until you find one that seems like it covers you.   Finally, once you have found a policy you like, you can take a look at the website of the insurance company and give them a call. 

I'd guess that none of the special things you mentioned will make any difference to insurers.  Most will probably just specify that you must be a UK resident.   I'd expect one year of this insurance to cost less than £100, so probably much cheaper than keeping up your US insurance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:06:14 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 31
Re: Insurance company recommendations for travel back to the US
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
Thanks very much.  I didn't know there were websites like the one you described.  Hopefully I'll be able to find something in time for our July trip.  It will be nice not to have the monthly health insurance payment anymore.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links