Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Might Have Cancer  (Read 2646 times)

• Liked: 55
Might Have Cancer
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »
I recently found out that I may have cancer and I'm trying to figure out how we are going to make this work financially as I've had to take a leave of absence from one of my jobs. I know Americans have no recourse to public funds but can a spouse apply for UC? It's a bit unsettling having to deal with the prospect of being ill and not having any financial support like unemployment etc.:( Even if I decided to go home I won't technically be a resident so I feel a bit unsettled and nervous

• Liked: 4985
Re: Might Have Cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
Huge hugs!

Does your employer offer any long term sick benefits?  Any critical illness insurance?

Does your partner work? 

• Liked: 55
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
 Thank you!

I'm an independent/self-employed contractor so I have no protection. A lot of fitness companies do this on purpose so they don't have to pay taxes or benefits to us.  My partner does work and his job has offered to let him work from home and to be flexible with his schedule to accommodate me in case.

Huge hugs!

Does your employer offer any long term sick benefits?  Any critical illness insurance?

Does your partner work?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
Have you been in touch with Macmillan? I definitely encourage you to, because while you don't qualify for public funds it's likely charities may be able to offer some support. Your husband can qualify for benefits as a single person, but can't claim based on your status/condition :( District nurses who make home visits and the like aren't considered public funds, they are part of the NHS, so you will not be left to fend for yourself as you would in the US. Let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
Sounds like you should talk to a good financial advisor.

Good luck!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
Sorry to hear this.

I know Americans have no recourse to public funds but can a spouse apply for UC?

Your husband can't apply for you if that is what you mean? Nor can he apply for extra benefit money for you with UC, as was allowed under the Tax Credit Benefits that UC is replacing. UC is based on low income and low capital, your husband's earnings might be too high to have UC.
https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

As you are SE, did you  take out any sick/unemployment insurance? Often those who are employed also take out these too as they pay a % of the salary, which is much more than benefits will give.

Have you paid National Insurance Contributions to the UK for the last 2 or 3 years? If you have, you might be able to claim New Style ESA; that recently replaced Contribution Based ESA; at some point? BUT, have a good read through this list of what UKVI considers to be "Public Funds" because the last thing you want to do is be in breach of your visa and then lose bill free access to the NHS because you can't have another visa.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/772305/Public_funds_v14.0ext.pdf

New Style ESA
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:10:21 PM by Sirius »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
Huge hugs. Yeah, definitely agree with what Margo says about talking to Macmillan or Maggie's.

Depending on the cancer type, treatment, your mental health ,healing, etc, etc, you still might be able to do some work (though better to line up the possibility that you won't be able to and get those ducks in a row) 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab