Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to live? Any US community's?  (Read 2708 times)

• Liked: 0
Where to live? Any US community's?
« on: June 22, 2019, 11:52:01 PM »
Hey,

Are there any community's or areas with a lot of Americans living there? I'm trying to find somewhere to live that's more like home and with people i can relate to.  :P

The countryside would be preferred but I'm curious about all areas with a high amount of Americans.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:02:54 AM by Gaston »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Where to live? Any US community's?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »
Where do you currently live and where are you from in the US?  Personally I feel there are Americans everywhere.  Some want to be sought out, some don’t.

But I work at a British company of 200 people and 4 of us are technically American.  And I don’t live in London.  We are literally in every nook and cranny.

It’s important to remember that America is really stinking big.  Just because we share a nationality doesn’t mean we will be instant friends.  But I get the appeal.   :D

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »
Where do you currently live and where are you from in the US?  Personally I feel there are Americans everywhere.  Some want to be sought out, some don’t.

But I work at a British company of 200 people and 4 of us are technically American.  And I don’t live in London.  We are literally in every nook and cranny.

It’s important to remember that America is really stinking big.  Just because we share a nationality doesn’t mean we will be instant friends.  But I get the appeal.   :D

I currently live and am from Washington state. I plan on going back to the UK soon (dual citizenship) but have no clue where i want to settle.

Yeah i get that. People on the West are a lot different to people on the East and South. I have lived in both the west coast and the south though.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:26:19 AM »
I’d head for Manchester or Scotland.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:53:05 AM »
I currently live and am from Washington state. I plan on going back to the UK soon (dual citizenship) but have no clue where i want to settle.

Yeah i get that. People on the West are a lot different to people on the East and South. I have lived in both the west coast and the south though.

I'd probably start with the bigger picture of what you want from the area you're going to be living in. 

Will you be looking for work or are you retired? Do you prefer city or country life? How do you like to spend your leisure time? What does your budget permit? etc.

In general I suppose you'd expect to find more Americans where population density is higher and around military bases.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:03:23 AM »
I'd probably start with the bigger picture of what you want from the area you're going to be living in. 

Will you be looking for work or are you retired? Do you prefer city or country life? How do you like to spend your leisure time? What does your budget permit? etc.

In general I suppose you'd expect to find more Americans where population density is higher and around military bases.

I live a pretty redneck lifestyle for someone from the west coast. I hunt, fish, shoot, camp etc. I am self employed so work and budget isn't much of an issue and i would definitely prefer country life. I really doubt there are many redneck types in the UK though.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:07:16 AM »
I hunt, fish, shoot, camp etc. I am self employed so work and budget isn't much of an issue and i would definitely prefer country life.

Scotland!  :)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 03:09:25 AM »
Scotland!  :)

I’d head for Manchester or Scotland.

I will definitely check Scotland out. Thanks for the tips guys.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:54:10 AM »
North of England or Scotland.  ;D Or Wales.

There are a lot of Americans in Glasgow, but we're not all condensed into any specific area. I think you're going to find that's the case most places. The reasons for being here are varied, so where people settle varies. I don't think you're going to find a colony of transplants. (I have heard that there are a LOT of Americans living in Cork, in Ireland, if that has any appeal. It's kind of a retirement destination for older Irish Americans, supposedly.)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
For the outdoor life you describe I would think Scotland.  Many decades ago (70's and early 80's) I used to work for an American boss and we became good friends and kept in touch long after I had moved to America and he had retired to Pitlochry in the Highlands.  He loved fishing and golf and had a wonderful life in Scotland after he retired. He lived well into his 80's so all that outdoor life and fresh air must have suited him.

Unless you move to an area close to an American base I doubt that you will find communities of Americans hanging out together. Certainly if you want to avoid large cities and live in rural areas then you are going to have to live among the locals, and you will always be an outsider, but that would apply to all non Scotts moving to Scotland, all non Cornish moving to Cornwall, all non Welsh moving to Wales, etc etc.  My wife discovered a new, older, sister earlier this year who had moved from Manchester to Cornwall 52 years ago. She says she loves it there but has always been considered an outsider, including her children who were born there. She was absolutely delighted to discover that their father was born in Cornwall and came from generations of Cornish folk.

As we say in Yorkshire, "There's nowt so queer as folk", which just means that people are unpredictable, but I'm sure that you will be welcome just about anywhere.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »
Abeerdeen area would probably suit you.Fair whack of Americans around thanks to oil and gas and yet very easy to get into the countryside very quickly. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
Abeerdeen area would probably suit you.Fair whack of Americans around thanks to oil and gas and yet very easy to get into the countryside very quickly.

Bingo!  :D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
My vote is for Northumberland! I tried Scotland and found it to be a bit hostile to immigrants, plus the weather is probably the worst in the UK. We have lots of outdoor pursuits here as there's the coast, countryside and national park.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
My vote is for Northumberland! I tried Scotland and found it to be a bit hostile to immigrants, plus the weather is probably the worst in the UK. We have lots of outdoor pursuits here as there's the coast, countryside and national park.  :)

Northumberland is a great place, we visit there a lot from where we live.  I grew up in the County just south of it.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab