Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about Supplementary Questions on Family Doctor Services Registration  (Read 2275 times)

• Liked: 31
I picked up the forms today to register with my local GP.  The Supplementary Questions on the Family Doctor Services Registration form (GMS1) include a Patient Declaration for all patients who are not ordinarily resident in the UK.  It says that in most cases, nationals of countries outside the EEA must also have the status of ILR in the UK.  Here's the wording.  I bolded the sentences in question:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTIONS
PATIENT DECLARATION for all patients who are not ordinarily resident in the UK
Anybody in England can register with a GP practice and receive free medical care from that practice.

However, if you are not ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK you may have to pay for NHS treatment outside of the GP practice.  Being ordinarily resident broadly means living lawfully in the UK on a properly settled basis for the time being. In most cases, nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area must also have the status of ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK.

Some services, such as diagnostic tests of suspected infectious diseases and any treatment of those diseases are free of charge to all people, while some groups who are not ordinarily resident here are exempt from all treatment charges.   

More information on ordinary residence, exemptions and paying for NHS services can be found in the Visitor and Migrant patient leaflet, available from your GP practice.

You may be asked to provide proof of entitlement in order to receive free NHS treatment outside of the GP practice, otherwise you may be charged for your treatment. Even if you have to pay for a service, you will always be provided with any immediately necessary or urgent treatment, regardless of advance payment.

The information you give on this form will be used to assist in identifying your chargeable status, and may be shared, including with NHS secondary care organisations (e.g. hospitals) and NHS Digital, for the purposes of validation, invoicing and cost recovery.  You may be contacted on behalf of the NHS to confirm any details you have provided.

Please tick one of the following boxes:

a)     I understand that I may need to pay for NHS treatment outside of the GP practice
b)      I understand I have a valid exemption from paying for NHS  treatment outside of the GP practice. This includes for example, an EHIC, or payment of the Immigration Health Charge (“the Surcharge”), when accompanied by a valid visa. I can provide documents to support this when requested
c)     I do not know my chargeable status I declare that the information I give on this form is correct and complete. I understand that if it is not correct, appropriate action may be taken against me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems perhaps the form hasn't caught up with the current process where the NHS surcharge is paid with a spouse visa? 

I'm planning to check box b.

Does that make sense?

Thanks very much.

• Liked: 6110

It seems perhaps the form hasn't caught up with the current process where the NHS surcharge is paid with a spouse visa? 

I'm planning to check box b.

Does that make sense?

Thanks very much.

I agree. B sounds right.  :)

• Liked: 31
I agree. B sounds right.  :)

Thanks very much!

• Liked: 3595
B specifically mentions paying the IHS surcharge with your visa, so option B is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab