Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is this the right forum?  (Read 3561 times)

• Liked: 0
Is this the right forum?
« on: June 26, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Hi.  I'm hoping this is the right forum for my question.  I've googled until my eyes hurt, but everything is so confusing. I thought I might try my luck here.

I am here on a Tier 2 visa for work. While living here,  I have met someone. <3  I plan to return home to the United States next year, and I would like to bring him with me.  He holds a British passport and was born in England.

My question:

Is it easier to get married here and bring him to the USA as a spouse or is it better to bring him over on a K-1 Visa.

My concern is that I have been told that to get  a K1 Visa, the US government looks at the money you have earned in the USA for the last 2 years.  I will not have earned any money in the US, as I am working for the NHS here. Also, my salary is SIGNIFICANTLY lower here than it is back home.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks,
~Faline

Well, she was an American girl. Raised on the promises. She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life somewhere else. After all, it was a great big world.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Is this the right forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
Welcome!

Technically the right place to put this would be Repatriation, but I will warn you that we are much more USA to UK knowledge than the reverse.

I would recommend you marry BEFORE filing for the visa.  I would also recommend you marry soon and get the ball rolling.  It can take as long as 10 months to get the visa.  You ARE allowed third party sponsorship, so if, for examples, your parents are able to show earnings of 125% above the poverty line for the number of people in the household, you will meet the financial requirement.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
The BritishExpats forum is a US based equivalent to UKY. Like UKY, they have some very knowledgeable folks, but for visas to the US for Brits. This particular forum should answer any of your questions (which will probably be the same as KFdancer's response).

https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
I've also seen VisaJourney recommended for travel in that direction.  :)

Sponsored Links