Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Obtaining social work job in U.K.before leaving US  (Read 1804 times)

• Liked: 0
Obtaining social work job in U.K.before leaving US
« on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »
Hi guys !

So I finally got on the registry to work as a social worker in U.K.  I’m British so I don’t need a visa etc.  How can I secure a job before relocating to U.K from US?   It is so difficult to secure everything from the US before I leave.
I tried to get housing but was told I needed a job contract before they would rent to me.

So the question is, how difficult is it to secure a job in my field before leaving the US?

Thanks in advance

• Liked: 957
Re: Obtaining social work job in U.K.before leaving US
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
It probably depends on a number of factors like where you want to move and which area of social work you plan to be working in. Some are on the shortage occupation list so those might be easier. But, without UK specific experience be prepared for it to take some time and it likely may be easier once you are living here. You'll find the applications are quite different to what you're used to in the US so just take your time with them and be thorough. If you know anyone working in the field that will help a lot!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:57:31 AM »
It probably depends on a number of factors like where you want to move and which area of social work you plan to be working in. Some are on the shortage occupation list so those might be easier. But, without UK specific experience be prepared for it to take some time and it likely may be easier once you are living here. You'll find the applications are quite different to what you're used to in the US so just take your time with them and be thorough. If you know anyone working in the field that will help a lot!

Hi,
Thanks for the response.  I will be relocating to the Manchester area so not sure what jobs are like there. Currently I have a Master of Science in social work with a specialization in mental health.  How can I find out what areas are on the shortage occupation list.  I was told that it is best to try and get a contract job to get my foot in the  door.  I have no idea if this is true or not so any advice on this would help.

I plan on contacting a few of the agencies that advertise contract jobs just to see what I’m up against.  I really do need to have a job before moving because I can’t get housing without it.
Unfortunately I do not know anyone currently working as a social worker in the UK. 

Thanks in advance for the response,
Brigette

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
Will you have any UK credit when you move? You may want to have a look at the other threads about renting, many landlords require 6 months of rent upfront due to a lack of credit history even when you have income. Do you have any friends or family you could temporarily reside with while you get settled? They make it hard even for returning citizens who have been abroad a long time. :(

Good luck with the contract companies! I really hope that helps you get settled. This is the current shortage occupations list: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »
Will you have any UK credit when you move? You may want to have a look at the other threads about renting, many landlords require 6 months of rent upfront due to a lack of credit history even when you have income. Do you have any friends or family you could temporarily reside with while you get settled? They make it hard even for returning citizens who have been abroad a long time. :(

Good luck with the contract companies! I really hope that helps you get settled. This is the current shortage occupations list: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

No UK credit when I move back unfortunately and no family that I would want to stay with.  I’ll take a look at the housing section to get an idea.  I found a site from watching YouTube that only requires a deposit and a job contract.  Reputable and I did give them a call to see what they required.  That is why the job is so important, why I need to find one before I move

• Liked: 104
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
Re: housing, you might be able to find a good deal on airbnb just to have a place to stay when you first arrive, if you're unable to secure a lease beforehand. Loads of listings offer discounts if you book for a full week/month and it would allow you to actually view flats before choosing which one to rent. Would also help as you could attend job interviews.

Obviously it's not an ideal solution but it is one option.
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab