Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Redundancy  (Read 1789 times)

• Liked: 154
Redundancy
« on: July 01, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »
We are in the midst of finalising a joint venture at work. It seems as if all of our offices leadership team has gone or is going. Rumours are flying about that redundancies are going to happen as soon as we finish migrating over to the other office’s systems.

I don’t know whether to take this as a grain of salt as no rumour has come from an official source or to believe it and find another job.

I have slowly started to search, but I just feel like everything isn’t compatible with me. Either I don’t have the official skill set ( doesn’t mean I can’t do it) or the hours are not right. I’ve seen one recently for hours 8-6! My job now is so so willing to work around my family life and I need that with having a child.

I’m just in two minds. I also don’t think I’m very marketable here and I’m in such a niche field now that in order to stay in the field I would have to move which isn’t going to happen either.

Any advice? So torn what to do. I don’t want to take more than 500 pounds pay cut ( I’ve been at my place 3 years and worked my way up), but I think I probably start at the bottom again. 

Just really don’t know what to do, don’t want to jump the guns and leave something that is good for my life now, but I also don’t want to risk being out a job..

• Liked: 957
Re: Redundancy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 05:40:44 PM »
My 2 cents if you're happy... Wait until you have something official because the redundancy pay should be nice if you've been there 3 years. But keep your eyes open for opportunities because you could find something!

If you've seen any of my posts you know how I feel about the job market here. But I have a feeling the shortages created by brexit will start trickling into hiring practices, and they will need to be more flexible in general and offer higher salaries to keep staff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
My 2 cents if you're happy... Wait until you have something official because the redundancy pay should be nice if you've been there 3 years. But keep your eyes open for opportunities because you could find something!

If you've seen any of my posts you know how I feel about the job market here. But I have a feeling the shortages created by brexit will start trickling into hiring practices, and they will need to be more flexible in general and offer higher salaries to keep staff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have a feeling their going to con out and pay us the bare minimum redundancy pay as they already cut back on things like bonuses etc this year.  My OH Is in a really good job and could float us if I did become unemployed but I don’t want it to come to that. But also because of his job we’re pretty tied here.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »
I’d keep your eyes open and get the ball rolling - but ONLY take a job if it’s a good fit.

There’s every chance you WONT face redundancy. And if you do, it’s unlikely to be the bare minimum.  You’d be surprised at how even the stingiest companies do alright by their employees.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
In my experience, the redundancy process has to include a "consultancy" phase that lasts a good few months where management pretends to listen to the people they are about to sack.  You'll be able to apply for jobs and even take time off to attend interviews and work on your CV.  You'll have time then to find something if it even gets to that point.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
In my experience, the redundancy process has to include a "consultancy" phase that lasts a good few months where management pretends to listen to the people they are about to sack.  You'll be able to apply for jobs and even take time off to attend interviews and work on your CV.  You'll have time then to find something if it even gets to that point.

If more than 20 people are being made redundant, there are legal requirements for length of time.  If it's less than 20 people, it just has to be a 'meaningful conversation' and there is no legal length of time this has to happen in. 

There are statutory minimum requirements for notice,however:
The statutory minimums for periods of notice are:
• One week if the employee has been continuously employed for one month or more, but less than two years
• One week for each year of employment (up to a maximum of 12 weeks) if the employee has been continuously employed for two years or more.

(So not too long)

Eh127929, I'm sorry you're facing this. Hopefully it doesn't happen.  But definitely keep an eye out for things.  Job hunting is hard.  Big hugs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:56:39 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
I’d keep your eyes open and get the ball rolling - but ONLY take a job if it’s a good fit.

There’s every chance you WONT face redundancy. And if you do, it’s unlikely to be the bare minimum.  You’d be surprised at how even the stingiest companies do alright by their employees.

Was pretty much going to say this. It doesn't hurt to put feelers out just in case so you're ahead of the game if there is redundancies (because there will also be a lot of other people who will then need to look for jobs as well at the same time) and it might actually be a confidence boost if you see there are a lot of opportunities for you out there at the moment, but you are by no means in a position where you're desperate and NEED to take whatever comes your way. If you're happy where you are and not actively looking to move just now, just see what's out there, apply for what interests you, and only interview and consider what suits you that you can see yourself doing in future. It doesn't hurt to look or even interview - just my 2p.

also, this. They tend to give you a pretty decent amount of time to go through the "consulting" process so you should get a little bit of a heads up. The only problem is that you are then in that same pool with others who are also in that process and looking for anything that will fit their skillset so they may be applying in the same places as you by that point.

At the end of the day, do what feels right to you.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »
I read up on the gov website today and whilst those time periods apply it does say unless written else wise in your contract. I dusted off mine today and it does say company notice is one month plus a week per year after, but not sure if this applies to termination only or all reasons for needing notice.

I imagine they will offer people jobs in our Durham office but that’s not reasonable for all of us locals in this office.  I’m applying for a few other internal jobs that I actually want, so hopefully that secures me a bit more, as right now the department I’m in there really is no need for two of them. Whereas other home based positions like the ones I’m applying for would be more safe I imagine.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 09:43:16 PM »
I read up on the gov website today and whilst those time periods apply it does say unless written else wise in your contract. I dusted off mine today and it does say company notice is one month plus a week per year after, but not sure if this applies to termination only or all reasons for needing notice.

I imagine they will offer people jobs in our Durham office but that’s not reasonable for all of us locals in this office.  I’m applying for a few other internal jobs that I actually want, so hopefully that secures me a bit more, as right now the department I’m in there really is no need for two of them. Whereas other home based positions like the ones I’m applying for would be more safe I imagine.
I think the 1 month notice will be *after* the consultation phase which can last longer or shorter periods of time depending. That's at least how it's worked at the two companies over here that I've worked for when laying people off but it might be different for other companies.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Our boss confirmed in a team meeting today that “ no decisions have been made yet” which means they are definitely talking about it. Oh well I’ll take it as it comes. I think it was just stressing me as I was about to book tickets to America for Christmas and the money is seriously ridiculous. But whatever happens will haopen

Sponsored Links